WTF?? Open Source Initiative (1 Viewer)

G-Banger

hi all, i really need help with this, i cant find any info on these:

-Research and define the purpose of the Open Source Initiative.

-From the purpose of the OSI, describe and justify two or more social and ethical issues that arise.

-Describe what advantages or disadvantages are created as a result of Open Source programming. Provide examples to justify your argument.

thanx

Winston

HSC
i presume it's just another wanky term in reference to Public Domain.

SamD

HSC
N/A
Go to http://www.opensource.org/
The answers to your questions should then become clearer. Although Open Source is not directly mentioned in the syllabus it is becoming more and more popular so its worth thinking about. Consider the Linux operating system and a few years ago Macromedia publicly released the format and specifications for flash files, now non-macromedia flash applications are appearing.

By the way public domain refers to the compiled code being freely distributed, open source means the source code must also be freely distributed. In fact open source products are largely developed via this process.

Last edited:

-X-

HSC
N/A
Well u can also talk about linux vs microsoft. Microsoft are decreasing the prices of Office and their windows OS to everyone and to businesses just to get them to convert from linux (or to stop them from moving to opensource products). A recent example was with telstra were they were thinking of converting to opensource. MS were (still are??) trying to make better deals with them by giving them free tech support etc.... just to stop them from converting. Another example was in some other country were MS were making a stand allone Word processor available just for some company (instead of purchasing the whole Office). This was to stop them from migrating to some other office product i believe.

You can also say that with opensource, users can customize their programs to suit there own needs. Others can then improve upon the program etc.... Any opensource program will be a good example ie Openoffice or linux which are constantly improving.

chris42

HSC
Quote from SAMD
By the way public domain refers to the compiled code being freely distributed, open source means the source code must also be freely distributed. In fact open source products are largely developed via this process.

So open source and public domain software are both similar in the fact that they are free and they both can be changed.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Public domain software, you are free to use the program. Open Source software, you are free to use the program and view/modify the source code, but you cant claim it as yours i.e. its still the intellectual property of the author etc... Correct me if im wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)