writing (1 Viewer)

icespeed

hi, im new round here, dunno many of you guys, just wondering:
do you guys normally do whatever it is you're doing?

er, this sounds dumb, i'll try again.

for example, if you're doing short story, do you write outside of your major work, or are you just writing for the course? (applicable to the other forms.)

does that make more sense?

if you do... do stuff outside the course (please take that in context, i'm not trying to bias against any of the genres) ... does that actually help your doing stuff in the course? or does it work more the other way round? or doesn't it affect either way?

i hope that's understandable, it's hard to be pc and get the message across at the same time...

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
hi icespeed,

I do poetry for my major work. I used to write so-called poems a year ago. but it wasn't anything like this. you know what I mean, just those "poems" people our age write: no research, no editing, no nothing of literary value.

And I don't think it helps me at all. It was a totally different process.

hope that answer your question.

Jinglebell

HSC
i'm doing a critical response, and i don't exactly write essays for fun in my spare time:)

but i am one of those annoying people who just HAVE to know things, like if someone asks me a question i think i should be able to answer (usually english related, everyone treats me as their walking dictionary), it'll bug me until i know the answer. and i guess that determination might help my investigation process...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I used to write a lot of poetry, but it also was that teen angsty crap lol. I may have helped me a little bit, but it's a totally different thing trying to write poetry based on a theme, using forms such as sonnets, blank verse etc.

I also write short stories and stuff... it took me a while to decide between poetry and short story for my work... sometimes I wish I has chosen short story :(. But it's a challenge.

I think anything people write in their free time "just for fun" is totally different to writing something to get marks or to get published. The whole editing process and the quality you are aiming for just makes it a totally different thing.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
I'm doing a critical response and I always thought I would be writing a short story, but I guess I'm cliche and wannabe creative not imaginative-original-creative-woah-great-work. So critical response is good.. and I didn't really answer the question, but yeah, like Jinglebell essays aren't my idea of fun ;)

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh

I also write short stories and stuff... it took me a while to decide between poetry and short story for my work... sometimes I wish I has chosen short story :(. But it's a challenge.

I think anything people write in their free time "just for fun" is totally different to writing something to get marks or to get published. The whole editing process and the quality you are aiming for just makes it a totally different thing.
you can still change to short story if you're not happy...:)

yeah I agree with your point there about the different process of writing.
I had a debating with myself concerning that issue.
like, should I be aiming for the mark or should I just indulge myself completely.
but it's not about choosing between the two, I just positioned myself within the grey area.

obviously if I was really aiming for the mark I'd be doing the safest option, short story (not to belittle short stories of course).
and there's also that question about who I'm writing for. am I writing for myself, for friends, for an anonymous reader or am I writing for the BOS.

I decided to follow W.H. Auden. He said he personally would not write a poem that he does not feel for just for the sake of publishing it no matter how good or advanced it is (he did at first and then he came to that realisation).

So yeah, I'm not going to write my ('love') poems as though they're for a guy just because it's the politically correct thing to do.
I'm just going to be honest, without being "in yer face" of course.
but that's just me ;) others might have different values.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, my compromise was that I chose a topic that I love (dance) but am writing according to forms etc rather than just writing... I normally wouldn't really edit poetry that I write, I'd just write it. But lets face it- I want the marks. But I can still write to get marks and get pleasure etc out of it.... it's a balancing act though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)