Writing Pracs/Experiments: The Sciences....but esp. physics;;;;past/present tense? (1 Viewer)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
I noticed my Chem experiments are in present tense, like commands. In Physics, my teacher said you "should" write in past tense....but i'm used to present tense.
Which way is more appropriate.......that doesn't affect ur marks?
AND
In exams are u supposed to just make up the results or do u remember them from class pracs??
Thnx

kini mini

HSC
1. You should use whichever tense is appropriate for the question. If the question is "How did you do...." then you'll need to use the past tense. If it's "How would you do..." you need the present or conditional tense to give instructions :).

2. In last year's HSC, you had to know results for some experiments like the redox experiment in chem of art. You should use results from class pracs, or results from a textbook or another authoritative source :).

Marianna

in last years physics you basicaly had to know the theories behind the pracs you don't need to know the results though

yeah and go with what the question says

but for assessment tasks and that do whatever your teacher prefers last year we weren't asked to write a prac out. you may be asked to describe a prac you did in class but they won't take marks off for the tense you use. just as long as it makes sense and you follow english conventions like sticking to one tense not changing mid sentence or mid paragraph.

so don't stress about it too much

physics is fun!! :) I'm strange i know

D

dragon

If your writing up an experiment procedure then you write in past tense

Example;
"The mixture was weighed and recorded"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)