• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Writing in assessments (1 Viewer)

-mz-u-wsh-

Cara Lee
HSC
bassistx said:
I hate those pens. They make my hands sweaty, slip out, and run out fast.
Papermate has good pens. I can't remember the name, but they're smooth on the outside and they're capped. They glide very nicely.

weird, they never ran out with me, maybe because i dont write much at school, i got the kilometrico papermate pens, but thats only the red ones, i got some stablo ones aswell, because i heard some kids say they lasted all year *the kids better be telling the truth*

i guess everyone has their own preferance for pens, so maybe just try getting some diffrent kinds when you run out of the old ones!!

bassistx

HSC
-mz-u-wsh- said:
weird, they never ran out with me, maybe because i dont write much at school, i got the kilometrico papermate pens, but thats only the red ones, i got some stablo ones aswell, because i heard some kids say they lasted all year *the kids better be telling the truth*

i guess everyone has their own preferance for pens, so maybe just try getting some diffrent kinds when you run out of the old ones!!
Kilometrico are good, they last and they fit the budget. The other papermate ones are priced crazy.

I love your dp :)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I don't love yours, I find it pretty offensive tbh :\

bassistx

HSC
Jachie said:
I don't love yours, I find it pretty offensive tbh :\
If you're talking to me.. it's more like "don't dis my ability". Being disabled doesn't make you any less cool or capable.

williamc

HSC
bassistx said:
If you meant memorize your essay, then that's a big mistake. That's one way to fail the HSC lol. Almost always, people don't answer the question even if they have all the correct content.
I think you should write out an essay and then think of 10 questions. Change each paragraph to suit each question. If you don't practice that, then you're screwed. Plus you have to remember to learn everything about all of the characters. Most people only remember the main characters which screws them over in the end.
lol nar.

Im the biggest shit kunt at english.

And i got 80 in the exam by memorising essays and story the night before. rofl.

I didnt even read the book or watch the movies..

My mate did the same and got 88, only coz he wrote 55 pages combined for both papers.

Fair enough if you want a band 6, rather than a 5. But still that is hardly a fail.

bassistx said:
I'm not a lefty and I'd be very lucky to write 3 pages in an hour, let alone 40min I can write 2 max if I don't go back and correct anything. We're so screwed lol.

Simply, you will have to increase that or you are fucked. Unless you narrow down what you write into gold.

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
williamc said:
lol nar.

My mate did the same and got 88, only coz he wrote 55 pages combined for both papers.

Fair enough if you want a band 6, rather than a 5. But still that is hardly a fail.

Simply, you will have to increase that or you are fucked.
The issue is answering the question. If you answer the question, then by all means, memorize your essay. I find I write better under pressure because I don't waste time organizing ideas instead of putting pen to paper :)
I

bassistx

HSC
williamc said:
lol nar.

Simply, you will have to increase that or you are fucked.
The issue is answering the question. If you answer the question, then by all means, memorize your essay. I find I write better under pressure because I don't waste time organizing ideas instead of putting pen to paper :)
I never read the books either and I was absent a lot, so I didn't watch entire films.. But whatever :) Still got by. And didn't memorize anything lol. If there's anything you need to memorize, it's quotes!

55 pages? :O

williamc

HSC
bassistx said:
I
Ermm by answering a question that doesn't make sense... and is open to interpretation.. Im pretty sure to get a band 6, your whoel essay has to be structured on the question. and to do that, you actually have to know your texts inside out. but imo you would be nuts to go into the HSC english exam without memorising generic slabs of info that can be adapted.

So me and a mate both got band 5's without knowing our texts, so how could we have been answering the question.. creditibility of HSC english plz??

edited for 2nd post:

YA 55 pages.. i think i wrote 40 odd..

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
williamc said:
Ermm by answering a question that doesn't make sense... and is open to interpretation.. Im pretty sure to get a band 6, your whoel essay has to be structured on the question. and to do that, you actually have to know your texts inside out. but imo you would be nuts to go into the HSC english exam without memorising generic slabs of info that can be adapted.

So me and a mate both got band 5's without knowing our texts, so how could we have been answering the question.. creditibility of HSC english plz??

edited for 2nd post:

YA 55 pages.. i think i wrote 40 odd..
Answering the question (i.e. rubric) can be one line in a 10-page essay. So long as you rephrase the question and answer it in your extended response, you're cool.
I gave this example before. It's like writing an essay about bananas when the question asks about peanuts. But if the questions asks why peanuts are good and you say because they go well with bananas and then went on about bananas for the next 100000 pages, it wouldn't matter so long as in the conclusion, you come back to the peanuts. This works for everything. Has for me, anyway.

williamc

HSC
bassistx said:
Answering the question (i.e. rubric) can be one line in a 10-page essay. So long as you rephrase the question and answer it in your extended response, you're cool.
I gave this example before. It's like writing an essay about bananas when the question asks about peanuts. But if the questions asks why peanuts are good and you say because they go well with bananas and then went on about bananas for the next 100000 pages, it wouldn't matter so long as in the conclusion, you come back to the peanuts. This works for everything. Has for me, anyway.
nar you are meant to constantly refer back to the question each para.. if you keep writing about shit they will almost start deducting marks.. Each para is used to back up your argument in the first place... sorta where i got in trouble because i didnt know the texts and if they quetsions were odd i was stuffed..

I would pretty much just rephrase the question every para..

bassistx

HSC
williamc said:
nar you are meant to constantly refer back to the question each para.. if you keep writing about shit they will almost start deducting marks.. Each para is used to back up your argument in the first place... sorta where i got in trouble because i didnt know the texts and if they quetsions were odd i was stuffed..

I would pretty much just rephrase the question every para..
Well, definitely. I suppose it all depends on the marker you get lol.

ccc123

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
You do realise the essays are marked twice, sometimes 3 times, don't you?
yeah I suppose you can still get a harsh lot of markers. Hey, does teh 1st marker decide on a grade then the 2nd marker decides on where you fit in the range?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
They mediate it.

Say, marker 1 gives 14, marker 2 gives 16, they talk to each other and it often is agreed on 15.

if its 14 and like 19, a third marker comes into play.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I find that using fine pens makes my writing look [slightly] neater, as there is more definition between the letters. Especially in subjects where you get a specified writing space, so you can fit in more stuff

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
in the HSC its about quality and not quantity so if u dont write 12 pages it doesn't mean ur work isn't as good of quality as another person who receives a band six!

u could write 3 pages and get a band 6 !

just make sure u know ur stuff and u manage ur time well enough to not have to write so it isn't legit to read by the marker although the marker has to mark it either way!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)