writing definitions (1 Viewer)

toilet

HSC
when answering questions is it best to write the exact definition taken from the textbook or to reword it and write your own definition? particularly for business studies, pdhpe and science subjects

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
For Business Studies, I don't see an issue with doing that. At the end of the day, the purpose of a definition is to inform the reader/marker of what a particular concept means and the same definition may be expressed in different ways. With that being said, I think that thorough knowledge and understanding of the Business Studies content should result in an increased ability to correctly define a particular concept in your own words.

I hope this helps! 😄

toilet

HSC
For Business Studies, I don't see an issue with doing that. At the end of the day, the purpose of a definition is to inform the reader/marker of what a particular concept means and the same definition may be expressed in different ways. With that being said, I think that thorough knowledge and understanding of the Business Studies content should result in an increased ability to correctly define a particular concept in your own words.

I hope this helps! 😄
thanks! but for science subjects like biology do you recommend rewording definitions? my teacher uses the exact definition from the textbook for sample test answers but i'm not sure if that would affect my ability to stand out for better marks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks! but for science subjects like biology do you recommend rewording definitions? my teacher uses the exact definition from the textbook for sample test answers but i'm not sure if that would affect my ability to stand out for better marks
I assume that definitions are a minor component in Biology. Based on this, I don't think it would be an issue to use textbook definitions. They also have the evident advantage of accuracy, so there's very little chance for error if you use it in the appropriate manner. Additionally, I don't think markers will be particularly interested in the source of the definition you provide, rather they will be interested in the quality of your response, including specific components relevant to the question and how well your response performs according to a specified marking criteria.

toilet

HSC
I assume that definitions are a minor component in Biology. Based on this, I don't think it would be an issue to use textbook definitions. They also have the evident advantage of accuracy, so there's very little chance for error if you use it in the appropriate manner. Additionally, I don't think markers will be particularly interested in the source of the definition you provide, rather they will be interested in the quality of your response, including specific components relevant to the question and how well your response performs according to a specified marking criteria.
thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)