writing a cv (1 Viewer)

jimmik

HSC
i hav an interview wif my careers adviser this comin tues abt where im heading in terms of my hsc n career in the near future. on this occasion i am required to bring along a typed up cv/resume but problem is i dunno wat to include in one or how to structure it. can anyone help me plz? the interview is compulsory so i cant escape from it plus i should learn to kno how to write one neway.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Name
Contact Details
Goals (for one year time)
Education
Previous Work History
Referees (make sure you don't list their numbers, say you will provide them on request).

I'll think of more later.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
why dont u list their numbers? i thought u had to?
also include ur interests.. like write ur hobbies and things under there
im not sure where achievements come in.. but i think theres a separate title which covers like school achievements and volunteer work (like the red shield appeal.. community service etc)
umm rather than goals i think it should be career objectives? im sure they wouldnt care that u want to be in uni next year or something but rather that you wish to achieve in their workplace
in word they have the resume wizard.. also in jobs websites they give u the fields to fill in to create ur own resume (like seek.com.au and monster.com.au)
[edit] heres some samples if u want to see
http://www.jobweb.com/Resources/Library/Samples/Four_Sample_Resumes_68_01.htm
http://www.adventuresineducation.org/highschool/hs_splresume.cfm

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by cro_angel
why dont u list their numbers? i thought u had to?
I got told you shouldn't and I think it's more of a privacy issue.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
ohh k.. when we were taught we got told to write their business number.. because ur references should be people who u know more formally.. not just friends
like with my cafs teacher i wrote my schools phone number.. my cro school teacher i wrote merrylands high school number and with my supervisor i wrote my work number.. so its not like directly reaching them
u get what i mean?

toisthbe

Evil Member
Originally posted by Loz#1
I got told you shouldn't and I think it's more of a privacy issue.
ask your referee, 'Im going to put you down as one of my referees, is that alright with you?'
there goes your privacy issue.

You should write a "summary career objective" right after your
contact details, not neccsarily in a years time. you will be changing your resume/cv heaps during the period between highschool and university, because you would have many jobs.

mine was simply "Im young, but I have had my fair share of jobs in the past 6 months. I really enjoy meeting new people and developing my skills with them. I really would like a career where I could communicate with people, face-to-face." -leaning towards sales/marketing..

i still get many replies from employers over the internet, actaully inviting me to apply for a position.

but you could change your objective summary and make it totally say something like "study and obtain a bachelor of business, and be involved in management and policy making of a business"

shit i went off topic..o welz

jimmik

HSC
thanks guys, was helpful. i had the interview today n the careers adviser told me to add an "employment related skills" section where u list skills u hav. ummm...WAT skills? do i jus say "good communication. motivated/determined" etc?

capsicum

HSC
Originally posted by jimmik
thanks guys, was helpful. i had the interview today n the careers adviser told me to add an "employment related skills" section where u list skills u hav. ummm...WAT skills? do i jus say "good communication. motivated/determined" etc?
"employment related" so "motivated/determined" wouldnt really be a skill but communication is. oh, put down "patience" and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)