writers block . (1 Viewer)

petraawad

HSC
who has any suggestions on cures for writers block. my friend thinks i should avoid doing the work completely by beating myself unconscious with a frying pan and thus spending a few days in hospital until the exams are over. what do you think ?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
In terms of Extension 2 English sort of writers' block (like writing something not in an exam) I just keep writing until I hit an idea and then go back and delete anything that sucked that i wrote when i had WB.

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A
I was actually pretty suprised to see the title of this thread, since it's mostly restricted to poetry/prose forums. But in this case, it links back to school, so.. :mad1:

Anyways, the way I get over my writer's block ('cept mine is poetic - not sure if that makes a difference), is just avoid it for a few hours. Change my state of mind completely. If I come back and it's still there (which it usually is), I'll try a different approach. So say I have to write a poem (or essay or whatever, in this case), then instead of using a textual approach, I'll use a visual one. So I'll just draw pictures of whatever comes to mind. It usually helps, because the pictures are usually a verse/paragraph each.

If that fails too, I try a word association game. Start with the topic of my poem (or essay), and just say whatever springs to mind. I usually try and steer away from negative words that pop into my head, because if your pattern goes like:

Essay > stupid > school > pointless > die!

- then it's usually not all that productive. :p

Everyone has their different quirks to overcoming different things, so I guess you'll just have to keep trying until you find your way. Sometimes it's just time.

Much luck,
Kaitlyn. :cool:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
oh writers block is such a pain.

especially when you have to do it in a timeframe, like seriously..! can't think of a better time to get a blank out huh?

but honestly - just went through a writers block few days ago, but coz mine's due very soon i forced myself to sit it out till i got an idea and it's not something i recommend.

i wasted a whole day just sitting there thinking, and by the end...you're brain is just like totally english-worn.

so i suggest do a different subject for a while and go bak to it later....

Legham

HSC
Take a nap, then write about whatever you dream about! The added bonus is you get to have a nap as well :D

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A
Legham said:
Take a nap, then write about whatever you dream about! The added bonus is you get to have a nap as well :D
Heh, that's a good idea.
I'm a non-dreamer though I suppose. I dream about once every 6 months.

I dream bi-annually.

*says that line out loud*
Wow. What an odd line.
*shrugs and trudges off sleepily*

Kaitlyn. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)