WRIT1002 Academic Writing (1 Viewer)

Zippora

HSC
Can anyone tell me anything about this subject? Including whether it is enjoyable/useful? Thank you

Zippora

HSC
I wish people would stop just viewing my thread and actually give me some answers! thanks

u-borat

Banned
HSC
basically i've heard its just bludgy and an easy way to get an HD and boost ur average.

and apparently you don't learn anything unless you're a gimp at spelling/grammar/citation

HSC
So you want a proper answer. Maybe consult the subject review thread. :wave:

Nebuchanezzar:
ENGL1000 Academic Writing
Lecturer: Rebbca Johinke/PC

Interest: 0/10 Online lectures are dull. Essay topics are dull. Marking is anal, and dull.
Lecturer: 5/10 Rebbeca did a fine job of writing clear lecture notes, which is good because there aren't any actual lectures. Still, learning from a computer screen kinda sucks balls.
Ease: 5/10 Pretty hard to get a fantastic mark for writing when they mark you down over pedantic crap. Also the lack of interest.
Overall: 1/10 Easy English credit points lol. Shit subject. Tutor was a self-centred bitch. Tutorial discussion was dull, duddy and one sided, and worst of all didn't even count towards the end mark. No speech despite heavy emphasis on public speaking. Essay subjects were shit. Don't do it!
historykidd:
ENGL1000 - Academic Writing

Ease - 9/10 - Incredibly easy.

Lecturer - 9/10 - Essentially was my computer. Wasn't a complete lefty nut like my HSTY 1045 lecturer and wasn't too boring like my HSTY 1025 lecturer.

Interest - 0/10 - Polynesian rhetoric.

Overall - 2/10 - Gas yourself to death before you do this subject.
cdmanutd:
ENGL1000: Academic Writing
Ease: (8/10) Online lectures, 20% of your assessment mark based on online discussion posts, an essay plan and essay based on a ginourmous range of questions, and an open book exam to finish. Could you ask for anything more? The only terribly difficult part of this subject is maintaining an attention span throughout... more on that later.
Lecturer: (6/10) All the lectures are online, so that's a plus, but they tend to be long-winded and repetitive.
Interest: (4/10) It felt like they spent half the semester telling us all the different ways to plagiarise, and finished up by telling us not to do so. Everyone already knows what plagiarism is, and if they want to try and get away with it they will. There's no need to ram it down our throats. A positive, though, is the aforementioned range of essay topics - if you can't find something to interest you there, you're struggling.
Overall: (6/10) Positives: easy marks, online lectures. Negatives: boring, boring, boring. I only did this because it was a degree requirement, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're the same. Go do something more interesting.
fOR3V3RPINKKKK:
ENGL1000 - Academic Writing
Ease: 7/10 - some people say its seriously easy but having to read online lectures is so not motivating, also they are really anal about the smallest things like word count and referencing
Lecturers: 1/10 - that was probably an overstatement cause it was mainly online lectures
Interest: 5/10
Overall: 5/10 - seriously i learned nothing in class, i dont see how so many people can hate it cause you only have to attend one tutorial, but still, its pretty useless

etc. Just search academic writing in the thread.

jaimebien

HSC
I was considering doing this unit for the easy marks, but as one reviewer mentioned, it might not be that easy after all. Plus, it sounds like your soul would die just doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)