Would you recommend AHIS100? (1 Viewer)

jayq94

HSC
What did people think of it? I didn't study Ancient History in high school so I am concerned that it may be too difficult. I would like to broaden my knowledge and engage in classical studies.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
maycat is currently on holidays but she'd be the best one to answer this. Generally, most of the Ancient History units have been quite enjoyable and while work-intensive, rewarding for the content learned.

If you don't feel comfortable with your essay writing skills, there are several workshops run by Learning Skill (www.mq.edu.au/learningskills) that are quite good.

jayq94

HSC
Thanks. I'm hoping for some enlightening subjects where you really feel as though you've learnt something by the end of the semester. AHIS100 seems content heavy but also rich and detailed.

However, I have a few more questions. Would it be possible for you to explain the exam questions which require you to "comment on points of historical interest"? Also, how much reading is required for this subject as I'm already doing a few other subjects this semester with large amounts of reading.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Shalom from Israel!

AHIS100 has been messed about with in recent times, when i did it it was taught by a different lecturer and was called 'Oikos to Polis', so i can only comment on it as it was then.

Like most 100 lvl AHIS courses, it's a pretty general introductory unit that covers a lot of content from a wide time period. When i did it the unit covered the evolution of key concepts of Greek culture from the archaic to classical period.

I remember enjoying it immensely, however a lot of that may have had something to do with the lecturer at the time, who was fantastic. I'll keep my sentiments on the current lecturer out of the public sphere, but you can PM me if you're interested.

The assessment was fairly straight forward, 2x 1000 word tute papers, 1x 2-3000 word major essay, 1x final exam and tute participation. Mind, this was several years ago, it may have since changed. This unit also has a heavy reading component, but this is normal for most AHIS units.

Do keep in mind that while the first year units are content heavy, their main purpose is to teach you how to think and analyse critically, not necessarily to mash huge amount of info into your brain as in HSC history. You might almost be at an advantage in this respect, some school leavers have trouble adjusting to this new way of approaching history and tend to do poorly without realising why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)