Would you force your children to do stuff? (1 Viewer)

Would you force your kids to do stuff?

• Total voters

xMaNx

HSC
Yes, I,m old school.

But I wouldn't slap them or hit them. Just shout at them and order them to show respect, act maturely study and not have sex until they get married.
this is a true man

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd model reasonable behaviour and expect them to follow suit. I wouldn't let them get away with being a shit from a young age, so hopefully they'd grow up to be a nice, polite person.

Wouldn't force them to study, but I'd ask them what they were aiming for, if they wanted help, and give them their space.

Wouldn't force them to get a job, but I wouldn't pay their phone bill or fund their social life so they might like to get one.

And I'd just ask them to be safe. My parents always said that they would come and pick me up, no matter when or where, or that they'd pay for a cab if I was stuck somewhere or if the only option was getting into a car with a drunk driver.

Very much like what my parents did. I feel like they did a good job.
This 100%.

Basically exercise all possible ways to get the child to behave and do the right thing etc rather than forcing them to.
Forcing is last ditch resort only.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
This 100%.

Basically exercise all possible ways to get the child to behave and do the right thing etc rather than forcing them to.
Forcing is last ditch resort only.

You need them to *want* to do the right thing, or else as soon as you turn your back they'll do the wrong thing.

So just show them how to do the right thing and they should follow you.

HSC
Uni Grad
You need them to *want* to do the right thing, or else as soon as you turn your back they'll do the wrong thing.

So just show them how to do the right thing and they should follow you.
Yeh, hopefully that will work in practice :)

HSC
mEGABS parents sound like mine
ie
the best

dont force your kids lol set a good example and teach them to aim for what they want to encourage them to reach it etc

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Works for school kids a lot of the time- developing intrinsic motivation makes teaching them so much easier.

Hoping it works for my own kids with their behaviour.

xMaNx

HSC
I thought this thread would be like... using your children as slaves sort of thing. I am disappointed.
lady you can force your kids to do anything, even use them as slaves etc just post what you want them to do.

xMaNx

HSC
lol chores, never ever done any.

Well i have, but never been called "chores" just my parents say "I want this done by this time" and I have to do it, and that said, never really stuff like vacuum, cooking etc.. only stuff on the computer or taking stuff out of the car, so idk what thats called... no general housework

HSC
I was enlisted to clean the house, cook, hang out/bring in washing, and make cups/pots of tea and coffee. Oh yeah, and I was also made a part of the renovation team when Mum did up old houses.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
We used to have chores to do, like doing the dishes, cleaning the bathroom etc.

But we were always (and my siblings still are) pretty slack about it. The only one mum cared about was the dishes, since we had our own bathroom and she didn't have to use it.

But I like a clean house. My children will do chores if they want pocket money.

Yo1anda

HSC
I would basically run my children like a business

you do chores/get good grades/show good behaviour= you get freedom/money/toys/respect/trust

xMaNx

HSC
money for chores, hmm... i've never gotten any, I just get money when I ask for it and whatever, also it has to be within reason.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i used to get paid by mum and dad as a kid to swim laps around the pool

i guess it paid off

Yo1anda

HSC
my parents gave me a reasonable allowance (imo)

$1 a day until I hit 10 years old
$2 from 10-13
$3 from 13-15

after that I got a job but my sister is 14 and gets $5 a day now

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
We did our jobs or we didn't get pocket money. Wasn't much, we all got jobs as soon as we were old enough.

As far as grades go, I'd just expect my kids to try hard. I'd help them out if they needed it, but they come from good, studious blood so they should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)