Would I be able to get a pass average minimum in uni? (1 Viewer)

cxlxoxk

HSC
Throughout K-12, i have just read books, memorise, rewrite on paper. I don't have any original thoughts/opinions of my own when it comes to what i'm studying, i just read what other people have to say, and if i agree, i'll use what they are saying, in my own words...if i find that something is not quite right with what they are saying, then i'll say i disagree (giving no reason as to why), and follow up with what somebody else has said about it.

I basically rewrite textbooks in my own words (to avoid plagiarism)......Is this textbook-style of studying enough to get a pass average at uni, i don't expect to get distinction average...Or should i try to develop some of my own opinions before uni starts so that it becomes slightly easier to develop an opinion?

I'm good at multiple choices and short answers, but i write crap essays in exams of the past (because they actually require more discussion).

When teachers ask a question, i can usually put my hand up and answer it, but when they ask me to write an essay, i'll be stuck for several hours...(in exam conditions usually just 1 hour stuck)...

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Throughout K-12, i have just read books, memorise, rewrite on paper. I don't have any original thoughts/opinions of my own when it comes to what i'm studying, i just read what other people have to say, and if i agree, i'll use what they are saying, in my own words...if i find that something is not quite right with what they are saying, then i'll say i disagree (giving no reason as to why), and follow up with what somebody else has said about it.

I basically rewrite textbooks in my own words (to avoid plagiarism)......Is this textbook-style of studying enough to get a pass average at uni, i don't expect to get distinction average...Or should i try to develop some of my own opinions before uni starts so that it becomes slightly easier to develop an opinion?

I'm good at multiple choices and short answers, but i write crap essays in exams of the past (because they actually require more discussion).

When teachers ask a question, i can usually put my hand up and answer it, but when they ask me to write an essay, i'll be stuck for several hours...(in exam conditions usually just 1 hour stuck)...
no. You need to go beyond textbooks or lecture slides to pass.

BigDk

HSC

dont worry at uni there is no need for independent thought... maybe untill you do your honours year.

a little bit of your own opinions and analysis required in some assignments.

its just solving problems set out in the tuts, do them and theres your study for the final. realy easy. they dont throw anything at you in the exam that u should not already know or didnt learn during the semeseter

Che08

HSC
What degrees would let you get away from memorising?
The ability to memorise and re-word the texts in your own words would be incredibly helpful in exams - actually id do nearly anything to be able to do that.
Like what bigpole said, multiple choice exams, online quizzes and some assignments. You could def get a Pass and more than likely you'd end up with a credit.
I cant comment on types of degrees because ive only experienced my degree. However in the Science based subjects where you tend to deal more with facts and objective themes this guy could really do well.

Peartie

HSC
The ability to memorise and re-word the texts in your own words would be incredibly helpful in exams - actually id do nearly anything to be able to do that.
Like what bigpole said, multiple choice exams, online quizzes and some assignments. You could def get a Pass and more than likely you'd end up with a credit.
I cant comment on types of degrees because ive only experienced my degree. However in the Science based subjects where you tend to deal more with facts and objective themes this guy could really do well.
whereas in my degree - an arts one - you actual need to be able to form and develop your own ideas backed up by the ideas of others....

cxlxoxk said:
just read what other people have to say, and if i agree, i'll use what they are saying, in my own words...if i find that something is not quite right with what they are saying, then i'll say i disagree (giving no reason as to why), and follow up with what somebody else has said about it.
Even if you do this you still need to refrence them - because you're using someone else's ideas. You can write it in your own words but you will be referencing everything which @ University does not look good @ all...in fact you would fail in my subjects...

H@wkeye!

HSC
If only memorizing was a guaranteed pass. Most, sure not all, but most subjects require you to have an opinion. Arts, for example, requires you to take a stand on what the question asks, then using examples explain how you came to that opinion.

Econs was a little different, finals were more about understanding, assignments were all about expressing your opinions and reasons why things/policies did/didn't work using examples again.

I never did much physics (did do a little maths) at uni, but i imagine their more about remembering - although i'm sure it's far more about 'learning' and 'understanding'. How are you at these last two, learning and understanding?

BigDk

HSC
maybe 1 in 10 years, 1 person may come up with an original thought at uni

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
If only memorizing was a guaranteed pass. Most, sure not all, but most subjects require you to have an opinion. Arts, for example, requires you to take a stand on what the question asks, then using examples explain how you came to that opinion.
no it doesn't

it requires you to memorise sources and arguments to justify one or several "opinions" of a finite set of possible opinions on given course material

memorisation will get you good marks in most undergraduate degrees

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC

Cease playing dota.

Juliet

HSC
when they ask me to write an essay, i'll be stuck for several hours...(in exam conditions usually just 1 hour stuck)...
With regards to essay writing The Learning Centre at UNSW was an enormous help to me, when I first started uni. Find the equivalent at UWS and seek help early.:jedi:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)