Worth Transferring? (1 Viewer)

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
I missed the Commerce cut-off by 0.10, (bummer eh!), but yeh I was hoping to do a Bcom/Bsoc sci at unsw. Will i still be able to transfer into UNSW to do the Bcom/Bsocsci, cause do they do both Commerce and Social Science subjects in the first year? Or is it that u do one degree at a time (ie Commerce for first 3yrs then the Soc Sci for the remaining),
And secondly, How easy is it gonna be to transfer considering I only missed the cut-off by 0.1, Cause i've been browsing around and everyone is saying u need a Distinction average (which sounds kinda daunting) in order to stand a chance...

Last edited:

Mill

HSC
I don't think its that hard to maintain a distinction average in first year. I'm doing Actuarial Studies, and like many people in my course, found first year commerce extremely boring since most of us don't give a shit about accounting or economics. And yet, even though attendance was crappy, and tests crammed for, we all did reasonably well. I ended up with a 72 something average for the year, which isn't great (it's far from it, I'm first to admit a lot of people seriously kicked the score), but shit that's almost distinction, and it was next to no work. Then I look at other people in my course on 85 and above averages and you see that it isn't really so hard to make a distinction average if you put some work in.

So in conclusion, put some work in, and a first year distinction average is really quite easy. Accounting and Economics you should find really easy, so it's probably just QMA and Finance or whatever you do that might give you some trouble, if at all.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with Mill
because I wanted to transfer..I actually did a good deal of study for exams, and walked away with High Distinctions...and I wasn't a typical 99+ UAI freak, I just put in some effort, since the work isn't really that hard to grasp if u review it constantly
Distinction average is def. achieveable without too much stress

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Umm I guess it'll only be the mathematics sorta subjects that'll trouble me in the 1st year, I'm not a big fan of maths.

But yeah, I'm going to accept my offer at Usyd (BCom), If i transfer into BCom at UNSW next year, will my credit points done at Usyd be recognised at UNSW, or will I have to complete extra units. And secondly will I still be able to do a double degree at UNSW, A (BCom/B Social Science). Considering I missed the 1st yr @ UNSW

mp3mojo

Hey, i dont think u should do BCom at Usyd then transfer to BCom at UNSW, it'll be easier for u to do B Economics at UNSW then try to transfer to B Com at UNSW.

The workload for B Commerce at Usyd is alot greater than in B Commerce / B Economics at UNSW

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Well Unfortunately it's too late, I've already recieved an offer for BCom at Usyd, And since it was a higher preference than BEco at UNSW, I won't recieve another offer. I guess I really should've chosen BEco at UNSW, it would've made my job of transferring into UNSW far more easier, But at this stage my question is that will my credit points done at USyd be counted and will I still be able to do a Double degree (BCom/BSoc Sci) at UNSW if i transfer 2nd yr.

One of the main reasons I want the transfer is that I want to do a double degree at UNSW (BCom and BSoc Sci) I really don't think there is much of a difference between the straight BCom degrees offered at Usyd and UNSW.

Last edited:

mp3mojo

credit points completed at usyd (B Com) can be counted towards B Com at UNSW. and when u transfer (after the first year) transfer to the combined program B Com / B Soc Sci at UNSW, then it should be fine. :)

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Ah cool, Thanks. That was my main worry, not being able to transfer into the combined program at UNSW.

Originally posted by mp3mojo
credit points completed at usyd (B Com) can be counted towards B Com at UNSW.
I heard from someone, u don't get full recognition of your credit points done at USyd, they said UNSW only recognised like 50% worth. Is this true, and would anyone have any precise details on this...

:)

Last edited:

mp3mojo

u can only count a max 50% of the credit points for the program
eg it takes u 3yrs to finish a Comm degree, so only 1.5yrs of its subjects can be credited from another university

for official info, check the UNSW Undergraduate Handbook

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by mp3mojo
u can only count a max 50% of the credit points for the program
eg it takes u 3yrs to finish a Comm degree, so only 1.5yrs of its subjects can be credited from another university

for official info, check the UNSW Undergraduate Handbook
yes thats correct - so if u do one year at USYD, and all the subjects are deemed relevant - u can get full credit for ur first year and move straight into 2nd yr UNSW subjects
u'll have to do (at USYD) Accounting 1A and 1B, Micro and Macro and Business statistics and metrics to get full credit for the core UNSW courses
are there any social science subjects at USYD?

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Originally posted by Minai

are there any social science subjects at USYD?
Nah they don't offer a Combined Commerce and Social Science degree at USyd, UNSW is the only one that offers the Com/Soc Sci combo, its one of the main reasons why I want to transfer. Will this affect my transfer though, Cause I won't have done any social science subjects at Usyd for my first year..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah doesnt affect your transfer - its just that when u transfer - u may have to do 1 or 2 subjects to catch up, which may or may not mean u have to spend an extra semester at uni

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
but will he get to transfer 1st semester or after the 1st year?
I'll be trying for a transfer at the end of the first year.
But yeah it'll probably mean either a bit more work during my 1st semester or having to do an extra semester to catch up with units. I really probably should've done a BEco/B Soc Sci @UNSW, would've made things a whole lot simpler and easier.

But yeah thank you Minai, mp3mojo and Mill for clearing up things for me.
:)

mp3mojo

No worries, as a referenece, a friend of mine got a UAI of 94.9 and achieved uni results of 4 DNs and 4 CRs in B Commerce @ Usyd, then transferred to B Commerce @ UNSW.

So i guess with your UAI being 95.9 you probbly wont need to get 4 DNs & 4 CRs :)

Good Luck :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Myself, I got a UAI of 95.25 and I got 4 HD's, 1 DN, 1 CR and 1 PS and transferred from B.Ec to B.Comm

HSC
dats great minai
so first year commerce is boring cRAP
but does it get bettttter plzzzzzzzz say yes....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
first year...the core subjects are hell boring
accounting was probably the most fun.

it does get better from 2nd yr on, since u are doing subj's u wanna do...but ill tell u wen I start 2nd yr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)