Worth dropping MAJ Eco for maths units? (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
INB4 08er

Looking at some units for my course, emailed some lecturers who has provided to be very unreliable and lazy so rather than send this to a dean who probably cbf replying i'll post it here.

I'm looking at B.Comm (New Generation) @ University of Melbourne after transferring from UWA (B.Comm + B Computer and Mathematical Sciences) after the first year which means i'll need to do finance in 1st year rather than second at UWA.

After reading a few forums I am aware of how important banks value mathematical knowledge and they just 'teach' most of the commerce-y stuff on the job (please correct me if i'm wrong here.) This makes me wonder if i should drop the units required for a major in economics (would double major economics and finance) and pick up more higher level maths subjects at te expensive of a major in economics (still will achieve a major in finance.)

While I am aware that I am an "08"er, I jwould rather have a good idea on what i'll be doing as opposed to wasting units in my 1st/2nd year due to poor planning. I hope to either work in M&A, Forex etc. OR further studyings into liquidity or w/e I find intertesting if a career in banking is too overwhelming.

Anyway, here are my "draft units"

P.S The rules for University of melbourne state that I cannot do 4 breadth subjects in the first year. The UWA rules state however that I need to do C Programming, Java Programming and Calculus and Linear Algebra/Calculus, Statistics and Probability but I have to do both maths courses to satisft pre-requisites for Uni of melbourne second year maths units. Will this be a problem even though I am doing 1 more than the minimum breadth subjects?

Oh and if you read all of that and want something entertaining to watch:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmcf4Y3lGM&eurl=http://captaincapitalism.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading,

Jack Golding

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Lol Studentleader.

Just do economics and finance majors.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Studentleader said:
INB4 08er

Looking at some units for my course, emailed some lecturers who has provided to be very unreliable and lazy

More like, they have better shit to do than reply to a kid who can't make his own decisions in life.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
uhawww said:
More like, they have better shit to do than reply to a kid who can't make his own decisions in life.
I emailed the lecturers of a specific unit at UWA and Melbourne that I'm wondering would alow be to complete the compulsuary unit of Organisational behvaiour at level1 rather than level 2, it was either I email them or I wmail the dean at the two unis and they ask them.

More of a trying to help a kid who is actually asking for help and thus motivated to some extent than helping a kid who is too lazy to research the units.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Studentleader said:
I emailed the lecturers of a specific unit at UWA and Melbourne that I'm wondering would alow be to complete the compulsuary unit of Organisational behvaiour at level1 rather than level 2, it was either I email them or I wmail the dean at the two unis and they ask them.

More of a trying to help a kid who is actually asking for help and thus motivated to some extent than helping a kid who is too lazy to research the units.
I can't understand anything you're saying in the first paragraph. Maybe that forms part of the issue as to why they wont respond; simply because they don't understand what you're asking.

The main problem you face though is that you're not actually a student at either of the uni's, and being busy with already servicing their current students needs, time is at a premium and they probably dont have much time available to respond to a kid who, despite his best interests, is too incoherent for them to understand.

Imo you dont have a chance of getting anyone from Uni of Melb to talk to you. I cant comment on UWA though.

EDIT: If all else fails and you need someone to decide for you, then read post #2 in this thread.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)