worried (1 Viewer)

allstarr69

hi im relatively smart but am quite worried about an assesment task i got back
for a chemistry prac test worth 15% of my assesment mark i got 10/25, which was like second last in my class(i dont know how i did it) Im usually about 5th in the class for chem.

My question is.. how much will this mark have an affect on my uai??

thx

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
The mark will have absolutely no effect on your UAI, but your dropping of rank might if you fail to jump back up to fifth. Rank is the only important thing in regards to assessments. Don't worry though, you still have plenty of time to get back on track. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
How did everyone else in the class go?

Try not to worry about it too much, just focus on your other upcoming assessments.

It's impossible to say how much it will affect you because those marks you receive aren't that important other than to rank you between students. You still have 85% left of assessments to do in which you can 'make up' that one bad prac.

If it makes any difference to you I got 3/20 for my Chemistry prac test.....it actually didn't affect me that much, though that depends how well everyone else goes.

s_a

Listen to these two. They are absolutely right.

I did my HSC last year, and I now know how each assessment is an opportunity to increase my rank.

Concentrate on the coming assessments.

allstarr69

thanks ppl for all your support. here is how i went in all my other assessments (still early days now of course)

-chemistry 10/25 40% (weighting 15%)
-maths 2U 31/36 86% (weghting 10%)
-maths 3U 30/50 60% (weighting 10%)
-Religion 1U 17/20 85% (weighting 10%)
-Business Studies 88% (weighting 20%)

My question now is... is it realistic that i can still get over 95% in my UAI?

Another thing.. with the SAM tool, what does it mean by "aligned HSC mark"? Does that mean the mark you got for your assesments + HSC, or a scaled.. And do assessments + trials vs actual HSC have a 50:50 weighting?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
95 UAI is most definitely still with your grasp.

Originally posted by Allstarrr
Another thing.. with the SAM tool, what does it mean by "aligned HSC mark"?
HSC mark = The average of your moderated assessment mark + your HSC exam mark.

Aligned = HSC mark 'aligned' to a set of standards.

As you do not know what aligned marks you are going to receive until the day you receive it, it is impossible to determine what you'd get, but you can use SAM as a guide to help you understand the type of marks required to achieve your desireable UAI - taking account that these are aligned marks so you needn't necesarrily have to achieve though type of raw marks in the exam. Rather, the aligned marks are typically always higher than the raw marks.

The assessments + trial should give you a mark out of 100. The HSC exam is out of 100. The average of the 2 is taken to get your HSC mark.

But remember that the assessments + trial overall marks become moderated to ensure fairness throughout the state. i.e. The overall mark you receive at school is rarely the mark you see when you look at your HSC results.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Allstarrr
thanks ppl for all your support. here is how i went in all my other assessments (still early days now of course)

-chemistry 10/25 40% (weighting 15%)
-maths 2U 31/36 86% (weghting 10%)
-maths 3U 30/50 60% (weighting 10%)
-Religion 1U 17/20 85% (weighting 10%)
-Business Studies 88% (weighting 20%)

My question now is... is it realistic that i can still get over 95% in my UAI?

Another thing.. with the SAM tool, what does it mean by "aligned HSC mark"? Does that mean the mark you got for your assesments + HSC, or a scaled.. And do assessments + trials vs actual HSC have a 50:50 weighting?

Very realistically yes, you can, basically if you maintain a rank in the top 20's or even 10's throughout the year, and come trials you cane them, you'll probably for sure jump in top 5 or even first, but really your ultimate goal is to come first or even second.

Leanne

HSC
ppl..how EXACTLY does ur rank help u?? how does it make a difference??

cos i focused on my ranks all of last yr.. (more than my marks) but were they even looked at by UAC?????

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Year 11 means nothing. Absolutely nothing. The only use for it is being able to continue into year 12 with some experience. If you did very well in year 11 and applied the same studying techniques for year 12, you'd no doubt do very well.

Ranks are most important. Ranks and the difference in marks between each student are the only 2 factors taken account when they moderated your school assessment mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)