Worlds of Upheaval related text???? (1 Viewer)

hg!

HSC
Hi!
Im currently in year 12 and for ext 1 english we have to research 2 related texts. Im doing worlds of upheaval with the set texts of frankenstein, waiting for godot, and selected seamus heaney poems. Ive seen a few posts suggesting related texts including Doctor Faustus, Klara and the Sun, All the dead soldiers, etc etc but i was wondering if anyone had anymore really good not so popular ones? I want to choose related texts that wont be done by half the state yet still have good content and relation.
Also, does anyone have recommendations for the type of style it should be? Ive seen lots of plays and poems, but are these better/worse than novels or movies?
Thanks so much!!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that Guy de Maupassant's "Simon's Papa" (Le Papa de Simon, 1879) could be a good related text, especially when considering Frankenstein. It is essentially a short novel exploring a child who falls afoul of the other boys' cruelty because he doesn't have a father. One could argue that this novel and Frankenstein are similar in that they both cover rejection (the child being rejected by the other boys because of his lack of a father, and the monster being rejected by Victor Frankenstein and human society because of his appearance). Subsequently, you can establish appropriate links between the two texts in a way that is consistent with your assessment task/exam.

You may also wish to consider "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" (2007) by Mohsin Hamid as a related text to Waiting for Godot. This metafictional novel tells the story of Changez, a young, Princeton-educated Pakistani who goes on to work at a prestigious financial analysis firm in New York City and falls in love with a woman from the upper echelons of New York society. The aspect of uncertainty appears to be dominant in this novel, which may also be suggested regarding Waiting for Godot, in the sense that Vladimir and Estragon are waiting for the uncertain arrival of the mysterious Godot.

As far as I am aware, the type of text that you choose to use as related material does not present an inherent advantage or disadvantage. Whether you are able to present a better quality response by using a specific type of text as opposed to another is dependent on the type of text that you feel most comfortable with in terms of analysis and understanding. An example of this is whether you believe that you would be more capable of exploring literary techniques, which are more likely to be used in novels, or whether you believe that you would be more capable of exploring visual techniques, which are more likely to be used in films.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)