Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
australia has a better chance of winning than the world xi because;
home ground
good team communication
damn good coach
half their team would be in the world xi if they were versing another country ie. zimbabwe or something.

of course , by putting a bunch of players together who have hardly played with each other even though they happen to be some of the greats of the game , this means no guaranteees for success. I have seen this in Rugby Union as well :D

Mege

I reckon Vettori should be in there somewhere coz he's a good bowler and has a pretty good record against Aus. but we'll still kick ass any way so wat does it matter

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Let me have a turn :p

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Pollock (how can you have a team without him?)
Vaas
Ntini
Muralitharan

berghousemaa

HSC
Seraph said:
of course , by putting a bunch of players together who have hardly played with each other even though they happen to be some of the greats of the game , this means no guaranteees for success. I have seen this in Rugby Union as well :D
Rugby Union has never done anything like this before.
In cricket in the past when they do the Asia vs and Rest of the World vs they often haven't been against the best team and it's been much more of an exhibition than a test.
This series is on. Most of the players haven't tasted victory against Australia and will be dying for it.
In rugger team play is more important because of the ever present combinations ie halves, centres, flankers. In cricket a cohesive team can largely be formed by the captain. The RoW have a highly respected captain in Dravid (who will captain regardless of whether Vaugn or Smith plays). If Dravid can become slightly more hard edged they'll have a decent enough team unity, though still not matching Australia.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
berghousemaa said:
Rugby Union has never done anything like this before.
In cricket in the past when they do the Asia vs and Rest of the World vs they often haven't been against the best team and it's been much more of an exhibition than a test.
They always have the Barbarians vs whoever matches, most the players are from all over the place.

berghousemaa

HSC
copious said:
They always have the Barbarians vs whoever matches, most the players are from all over the place.
I guess but the babas mathes can in no way compare to the super test.
Besides, the babas have actually done very well historically

HotShot

-_-
HSC
cric

ii think rugby requires a little more teamwork than cricket, because of the wide variety of style.

Um, kumble will not be in the team (esp ahead of vettori and singh not gonna happen). Ntini i doubt, slim chance. fleming? it will be very hard for him to get in, but i am actually not sure about him he may get in.

Captaincy is pretty much vaughan gauranteed. first rule is that no indian can ever be a captain. vice captain as i said before should be lara, or perhaps fleming is he does play.
players from each team to make the world xi
england:
strauss,vaughan,harmison,flintoff,hoggard,
india:
tendulkar,sehwag,dravid,pathan,singh
nz:
fleming,vettori,
pak:
inzi,malik
sa:
kallis,pollock,ntini,smith,boucher
sri:
vass,murali,sangakarra
wi:
lara,collins,chanderpaul
did i miss a country or any players?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i'd replace harbijan with kumble - he never performed very well overseas + kumble has a better record at the scg, also theres already murali and kumble is probably the best legspinner outside australia

also replace malik with shaoib (as hes not allowed to ball). when he's fit he can terrorise any side and with other quality bowlers in the world tema you dont need him to bowl that many overs anyway. maybe kaneria if he performs against india...

i cant see pathan being picked infront of vaas. similarly i cant see chanderpaul getting ahead the likes of dravid tendulkar,lara, kallis, inzi et al.

i don't think vaughn should definitely be the captain... infact, most of the english players listed should be considered in the light of the Ashes series. Vaughn no longer opens for england and for the last year or so have been in pretty ordinary form as well. but this is also mirrored by his SA counterpart smith. I dont think theres anything wrong with brian lara being captain though. or maybe fleming picked as openner if he does well in the upcoming series(although i'd prefer sehwag to partner a current openner in either gibbs or strauss)

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
I agree, Shoaib has absolutely no place in the World XI, and i evern think hes in doubts to play for India, his team performs much better without him.

Also, I would defietly have Vettori in the team, as well as Lara, tenduklar, Dravid and the rest of the usuals being listed, although i wouldnt personally have Fleming, the great player he is, there are much better that could be selected

chair_stapler

HSC
N/A
i cant wait for this i hope it is a good match. Which it should be a cracker

my team would be

1. Sewag
2. Tendulkar
3. Vaughan
4. Dravid
5. Lara
6. Kallis
7. Sangakkara
8. Pollock
9. Vaas
10. Harmisson
11. Murali

berghousemaa

HSC
I'm serious,who here watched the England RSA tour recently. If not then you can't know what you're talking about when it comes to English bowlers.
Harmison is back to bowling when he toured Aust and bowled something like 9 wides in a row. He bowled thta badly it was a joke. The New Zealand pace attack was twice as good as him. Flintoff failed both with bat and ball.

As for Ntini, if Shoaib doesn't get the nod then he definately will.
Everyone knows that Kumble is better than teh Turbanator overseas, everyone.

Vaughn is only in most people's reckoning because of how he performed against Aust last Ashes tour. He has failed ever since. if he doesnt perform in Eng against us then there is nno reason to pick him. Even if he is there he still probably won't be captain because he's not a talented enough player or tactician. Dravid is like 3-2 odds of being captain.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

there is more than just good bowling and batting, u gotta have good fielders as well at least pretty good.

now i dont think kumble will be in the team, he does have a good record at the scg, but i feel vettori will get ahead. harmison will only get in becuase of his performance since his last tour of australia. lets hope he bowls better this time. vaughan will be captain becuase recently in the odi australia was flogged by his team.

so here is my final test team:
1.V.Sehwag---defintely in
2. Fleming or smith
3.M.Vaughan--definetly in
4.B.Lara--definitely
5.S.Tendulkar--high chance
6.K.Sangakarra--wk--should be in
7.J.Kalli---abit low (doesnt matter general order)
8. pollock--maybe
9.vettori--maybe(depends on how many spinners they want to play)
10.Muraliatharan--defintely in
11. Harmison

u have these bowlers:
sehwag-spin
kallis-pace
pollock-pace--opening
vettori-spin
muralithraan-spin
harmison-pace---opening

how about it?

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
i agree with this team except i like ntini over harmison

ramanij

1.Sehwag(this guy can destroy any attack and will open)

2.Tendulkar(ther is a rumour tendulkar may open against pakistan)
3.Dravid( is an all time great and will play)
4.Lara(captain) (him adn tendulakr greatest players of our era)
5.J.kallis( in great form but still ahsnt proven himself against AUstralia averages abt 30 agianst em but is a better bet then Fleming)
6.Sangakkara(best wk at the moment)
7.FLintoff( this is jsut form theory again flintoff hasnt palyed agianst australia but there isnt a better allrounder around)
8.Ifran Pathan(a bit irratic but gets better every Match better bet then mathew hoggard)
9.Kumble(in top form now better than vettori)
10.Shoaib Akhtar(He is injury prone but we know what he can do when at top form jsut ask MAt HAyden)
11.Murialitheran ( Hasnt got a good record against Aus but a better choice then Singh or vettori+ its teh SCG)

12th man Stephen Fleming

I left out Ntini as he is to one dimensional, Pollock is good but FLintoff si better, it was either Kallis or Fleming but KAllis is superior with the bat and Strauss doesnt have a place if tendulkar opens

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
ramanij said:
1.Sehwag(this guy can destroy any attack and will open)

2.Tendulkar(ther is a rumour tendulkar may open against pakistan)
3.Dravid( is an all time great and will play)
4.Lara(captain) (him adn tendulakr greatest players of our era)
5.J.kallis( in great form but still ahsnt proven himself against AUstralia averages abt 30 agianst em but is a better bet then Fleming)
6.Sangakkara(best wk at the moment)
7.FLintoff( this is jsut form theory again flintoff hasnt palyed agianst australia but there isnt a better allrounder around)
8.Ifran Pathan(a bit irratic but gets better every Match better bet then mathew hoggard)
9.Kumble(in top form now better than vettori)
10.Shoaib Akhtar(He is injury prone but we know what he can do when at top form jsut ask MAt HAyden)
11.Murialitheran ( Hasnt got a good record against Aus but a better choice then Singh or vettori+ its teh SCG)

12th man Stephen Fleming

I left out Ntini as he is to one dimensional, Pollock is good but FLintoff si better, it was either Kallis or Fleming but KAllis is superior with the bat and Strauss doesnt have a place if tendulkar opens

8 asians in a world 11???

And how the hell can you say flintoff is better than pollock???

fire away

Banned
HSC
assuming that the pitch would suit spinners and pacemen alike

1. jayasuriya
2. tendulkar
3. lara
4. cairns
5. kallis
6. sehwag
7. afridi
8. gayle
9. vettori
10. akhtar
11. murali

i reckon that would make an awesome matchup against the aussies

ramanij

FLintoff is better with the bat Flintoff is faster more aggressive mby Pollock in his prime is better but pollock is a shadow of his former self these days.

8 asians? choose a better side for me then

berghousemaa

HSC
A shadow of his former self? Are you kidding?
He's bowling as well as ever, if not better and his batting is still very respectable.
He has the best figures of any modern all rounder. Only Kahn is better I think.

8 Asians isn't too unthinkable considering Gavasker is selecting.
Pathan would only ever get in on bias considering he has almost no penetration so Vaas would be a much better option.
Akhtar is hated by Gavasker so probably won't get in.

Last edited:

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
I'll meet your flintoff and raise you the following:

strauss
sehwag
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Pollock
Vettori
Muralitharan
Bond

These of course are based on the players being fit. Bond is perhaps the best bowler against modern day Australia.
Pollock a shadow of his former self? *laughs*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)