world war one historiography (1 Viewer)

BAKALIWA

HSC
morning peeps,

i was wondering how you would obtain historian quotes on world war one??? Where do u look? Do you have any?? Please please help!!!!

bakaliwa

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
BAKALIWA said:
morning peeps,

i was wondering how you would obtain historian quotes on world war one??? Where do u look? Do you have any?? Please please help!!!!

bakaliwa
Just make them up.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
BAKALIWA said:
lol, i dont think so. thats not very efficient dudes.
Consider the fact that teachers marking the HSC won't actually bother looking up the historian or the accuracy of the quote, as they have to mark thousands of papers. They'll just look for key points, and seeing if you're able to back it up with some evidence.

L

littlewing69

BAKALIWA said:
either way, u want to be truthful and honest.
Hit up the library if you want to be rigorous and professional. Otherwise, just look up scholarly stuff on the net or lift quotes from a textbook.

BAKALIWA

HSC
...looking through texts and finding historiography. excuse the dodge two-response thing

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Silver Persian said:
Agreed.

It may be a good idea to find some 'real' historians - but after that you can just make your historiography up.
That's what i do and i get top marks for my essays. Remember that HSC markers won't look up the accuracy/reliability of your quotes, as they have to mark thousands of papers. And, most teachers in general are lazy. You just have to make sure your keypoints stand out, and back it up with some sort of evidence.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
with this historiograph stuff...

do we have to reference WHERE we picked up the quote from?

GORDO1515

HSC
Waste of important exam time, especially when it comes to modern, just says Winter believes.... or Winter says"...."

Snarkie

HSC
You can try this site, I think it's the website for a documentry on pbs but it's got a bunch of well known historians and what they are saying. It's organised into topics so you can easily see what fits with which part of the syllabus

http://www.pbs.org/greatwar/historian/

hope that was helpful.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I don't think it's too important to have historiography for WWI. (Or, I'd argue, for anything, because in my view use of historiography in Modern tends to be totally superficial and adds nothing to the essay. But that's just my pet hate, so ignore it.) You're not writing an enormous amount for WWI, and in any case the only question you could conceivably use it in is the second one, and there are so many possible questions for the second one that there's not, in my opinion, much point bothering with it.

biggie walls

HSC
Yeah in my experience historiography wasnt too critical for WWI, save it for your National/Personality and International studies...

If you must, just find a couple of WWI historians and make the quotes up - seriously its not worth pouring over books for hours just to forget it in the exam...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have marked WWI for many years (now do Personalities) and historiography is not needed for this topic at all as you have given sources to use.

Don't waste your time learning quotes etc for WWI, but do learn the ideas of historians for other sections. Quotes can be distracting unless they support your argument anyway but knowing the general ideas of historians (or just that the conflicting ideas themselves without knowing actual historians names) is fine, in my experience of marking HSC modern history.

Ademir

HSC
Historiography is not really vital to this section. I don't think they are really looking for historians with the exception of the sources they already give you.

If you really do want to drop some names, just look at your textbooks or class sheets or booklets or whatever your school uses for modern. They are usually written by historians or heavily cite them.

In this way, you can directly find syllabus points said by historians themselves.

SituationNoir

HSC
I beg to differ. Historiography is used in the first assessment task at my school QUITE heavily. We have to back up most of our source analysis with relevent quotes etc. So...yeah. Considering that majority of schools are saying you SHOULD have historiography, I'd say its quite important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)