World cities (1 Viewer)

Datto120

HSC
Hey!!!,
I did geography by correspondance which really sucks and i cant find any of my notes on the nature, character and spatial distribution of world cities. My text book isnt much help either so i was wondering if anyone had a definition on the stuff above.
thanks in advance
Mandy

kathy_d

HSC
hey, my notes on that bit aren't great but here's what i have.

the main world cities: new york, paris, london and tokyo
they are the world centres of business and finance (on international scale). they control the worlds economy. focuses for telecommunications technologies as well as infrastructure developments. new ideas markets. TNC's have many headquarters in those countries. they are the main cultural and entertainment world centres.

spatially, developed world. and the new subsystems:
asian subsystem, centred on tokyo/singapore
north american subsystem, centred on NY, chicago and LA
west european subsystem, centred on london, paris
southern hemisphere, sao paulo, johannesburg and sydney

hope that helps. good luck!

DsDeMoN

HSC
Whilst on this topic,

In class i have a feeling we were told all four of NY, London, Tokyo and Paris were alpha world cities.
However some sources (macquarie study guides if i recall) and other students say Paris is excluded and only the other three remain?

Wouldnt really matter in an exam context would it?

Further thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

kathy_d

HSC
i would say that paris is definately the weakest of the four, especially on a financial level. if the question is on world cities (which is probably won't be as it was last year) i wouldnt say it would matter. my text book never says paris isn't an alpha city i guess its just an opinion thing.

but yeah it wouldnt really matter. youd be more likely to focus on the three anyway.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
We've been taught only London, New York and Tokyo are the dominant cities. There are a few facts that are shifty in Geography though and the markers should be aware, especially if its published that way in certain text books.

felixcthecat

HSC
in most sources, New York, London and Tokyo are the three dominant world cities, Paris is a secondary world city. however note that these classifications are dynamic and always changing so no single source is correct... use any you want as long as you could back it up with statistical evidence!

*Lozzie*

HSC
our teacher told us that NY London and tokyo are the main ones and to focus on them but have Paris in the back of our minds as it is sometimes classified as a world city

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)