Workload of Yr10 vs Yr11 Vs Yr12 vs Uni? (1 Viewer)

Jehuty

HSC
Recently, my teachers have been scaring me on the amount of work we are supposed to do at home. It seems we are expected to revise every night (which I can assume only a handful of us may actually do). So I just want to know how the workload will compare to coming years.

I've read here that Uni freshmanz are finding the work stressful, yet my teachers say that uni shouldn't require as much work as Year 12 (studying 3-4 subjects in Uni compared to 5-6 in Year 12.) Can anyone provide a definite answer?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Recently, my teachers have been scaring me on the amount of work we are supposed to do at home. It seems we are expected to revise every night (which I can assume only a handful of us may actually do). So I just want to know how the workload will compare to coming years.

I've read here that Uni freshmanz are finding the work stressful, yet my teachers say that uni shouldn't require as much work as Year 12 (studying 3-4 subjects in Uni compared to 5-6 in Year 12.) Can anyone provide a definite answer?
workload definitely depends on the course/subjects that you do.

But in general

Uni >> HSC > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Year 10 stuff

That's what I learnt from doing both uni course (cosmology) and HSC course.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
yr 10 = no workload
yr 12 = 2 hrs a night consistently guarantees 90+
uni = 2 hrs a night and sometimes moar JUST to keep up

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Year 10: nothing.
Year 11: alot.
Year 12: alot with added stress.
Uni: ???.

LordPc

HSC
yr 10 = no workload
yr 12 = 2 hrs a night consistently guarantees 90+
uni = 2 hrs a night and sometimes moar JUST to keep up
probably this, although it varies depending on what uni degree you are doing. eg, engineering = lot of work and 5 days a week of uni
commerce = half as much work and 3-4 days a week of uni

so uni will be tougher (obviously) but it varies depending on what you want to get when you finish.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I did maybe 1 hour a night of homework in year 10. Now I'm doing 3-4 hours per night in year 11.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lol, I don't remember the last time I put my pen down to do my homework...

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Re: Jehuty

While on this subject: I often advise my more junior students, esp Yrs 9 & 10, to put in more effort to get a really solid foundation in their maths; "accelerate" a little if possible - i.e. do as much quadratics, indices/logs, circle geometry, co-ord geometry and some Yr 11 topics, etc. Yr 9 & 10 are very undemanding - so acquiring a bit of extra early will help lighten your Yr 11/12 load and therefore stress.

I see a good many on BOS are outstanding students . . but for mere mortals I'd urge them to work that little bit harder. It's not like you have to give up many things to do so. Life would be much more bearable come HSC.

Last edited:

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I basically did nothing in yr 10, except cram for the sc
yr 11 you will realise a sudden increase in the workload, lots more assesments and stuff like that...
yr 12 theres lots of stress to do well, coupled with heaps of exams and other assesments...

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Yr10- supposed to be of NO workload, but I learnt yr11 and yr12 maths myself (not officially accelerating).

Yr11- due to the work I did in yr10, I never had to do any maths hw coz they were just so easy after I did everything myself in yr 10 (not self-promoting, but really if one has done the stuff earlier 'properly') Thus, my workload wasn't bad at all except when there were major assignments (only a few).

Yr12- more workload than yr11, but it's not that hard to cope with it. I struggled a bit with workload in the beginning of yr 12, but now I'm perfectly fine. This is also because I'm doing subjects that I like, which adds up to only 10 units (minimal workload allowed in yr 12).

uni- no idea

iloveapple

HSC
year ten is awesome.
you're kind of treated like a senior, yet you don't have the responsibilities that a senior has. you have fun things like formal to look forward to, and it's when the grade becomes really settled down and closer.
so hand in your assignments, and try not to fail any exams, and that should be good.
s.c means nothing unless you want to drop out of school, and it's not hard at all.
i did no study whatsoever and managed to get band sixes and fives.

year eleven is much more work, yes, but you should be doing subjects that you enjoy, so the work is... not so much work but... you kind of don't mind doing it? if you get what i mean =D

so yes.
ENJOY YEAR TEN ITS SO GOOD!
and don't listen to what your teachers are saying about revising every night, that's ridiculous. you'll look back (as i am doing now) and regretting doing any work at all...except in maths. you kind of need to pay attention in maths coz it senior maths builds upon the foundations from year 9-10 maths. but if you're not doing maths then RELAX! =)

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
^+1

I guess he never put his pen down to do his hw but he frequently picked his pen up to study.

burger125

HSC
2 hours of maths homework wow we have the ocassional 2 hours + of maths homework when the teachers expectation of the leason are not met then she cranks home like 3 exercises for the next day

eilys close

HSC
More to the point is how well you can remember things / how fast you are with homework. So obviously, if you're not too crash hot, you should spend more time - but if you are good, you still should be doing study anyway!

Anybody who has been through year ten will tell you that it doesn't matter - however, I do understand (having been through it myself) that of course it matters - to you!

Generally, in year ten, do all you homework, plus half an hour on any subject you're having difficulties with (eg, if it's maths, do the questions twice). Coming up to assessment/trials/SC,

Year ten is an excellent time to get good study habits - trying to suddenly 'be good' in senior year is NOT FUN. I ended up having to sacrifice three of my weekends to get an extra sixty hours in total the first term. *dies*. Of course, I'm an absolute perfectionist... I'm only a year 11, but this is the formula I recommend:

Year ten
(normal week) - 1 -2 hours a day
(exam time) 2-3 hours a day, plus 3-4 hours on sat and sun

Year 11
(normal week) - 2-3 hours a day
(exam time) 4 hours plus and 5 hour sessions on weekends
BoS recommends a total of 16 hours perweek for yr 11s

year 12
(normal week) - 4 hours a day
(exam time) 5-6 hours a day, plus full weekends (8am-9:30pm)
Bos recommends a total of 20 hours for yr 12s.

I can't say about uni, because it REALLY depends on what you choose to do. Keeping the year 12 plan would probs work best though. However, I am doing one uni course as part of my yr 11. the university recommended I spend 4 hours a week on it. I say 6. (how a person is supposed to listen to 2 hours of lectures, read 30 pages +take notes, do an online quiz and talk on a forum and four pages of homework in four hours I have no idea... - not to mention four hours it takes me simply to travel to and from and attend the fortnightly tutorials. But enough complaining from me!)

I'll end with this:
I wish I was a year ten again. Is was so easy - yr 11s seem to have very little social life between school, study and keeping healthy. So enjoy what time you have now!

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Year 11
(normal week) - 2-3 hours a day
(exam time) 4 hours plus and 5 hour sessions on weekends
BoS recommends a total of 16 hours perweek for yr 11s

year 12
(normal week) - 4 hours a day
(exam time) 5-6 hours a day, plus full weekends (8am-9:30pm)
Bos recommends a total of 20 hours for yr 12s.
Isn't that a bit too much?..... That's just crazy.. for an most high schoolers including me.

I'd rather tell people to spend time during the holidays so that during school days, they can relax more and keep up with all the work to their best.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends on how many subjects you do as well. I did more subjects in year 11, so my workload at home was greater than that of year 12 (bar the exam period). It also depends on wht marks you want. If your a smart student who only needs an 80 for their uni course, then your level of stress and work is going to be less than if you aim for a 99.

Year 10 is a breeze. Really, whats the point in excess studying for your SC if it is made redundant once you complete HSC. The only reason you'd want to get into a strong study system in year 10 is to create good habits for 11 and 12.

Uni is different again. It's all about managing your own time. If your a good planner, the workload will seem smaller. Certainly some of the stress has disappeared since year 12, which makes things easier.

Excuse any poor grammar on my hangover. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)