Working out forces in trusses. (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
For an engineering report based on a school assesment (which is over half of that assesment (the enginnering report that is)) I need to work out forces on a bridge, problem is the loads were distrubuted unevenly (which was the cause of failure as a torsion was introduced and everybody else THEN got to use smaller weights on both sides :chainsaw:) anyway, I need to work out forces in both sides of the bridge. So would this just be an application of 3d trigonometry to work out forces in it or is there an easier way?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ok first thing? wtf having an engineering report worth 50pc of assessments? man thats harsh...

2. 3d truss analysis? as far as i know you are only supposed to know as detailed as 2d truss analysis...and even so you are only required to deal with tensile and compressive forces (no torsion). There are two methods for this:
a) method of joints
b) method of sections

if you can actually post the question up here i will endeavour to analyse the system for you...sounds unduly harsh even for an assessment.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by inasero
ok first thing? wtf having an engineering report worth 50pc of assessments? man thats harsh....
It isnt worth 50 percent of all assesments just this assesment (which is worth 15%) the bridge was worth the other half. I think I know how to do it, the only reason a torsion was introduced was because the loads were loaded unevenly. It was based on the bridge we built for it. The trusses are even on both sides and the middle beams shouldnt have any effect as the load was spread primarily over the trusses (the middle beams were just for holding the bridge together.) So for the purposes of this assesment, should I just it as 2 2d trusses and work out the loads as point loads in the middle of those trusses (as thats where the load was put) and work out the moments in a seperate plane to determine the load on each truss?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
sprry xayma....i havent dealt with torsion in truss systems and i havent seen the actual bridge or forces involved so i cant help u out there...but seems to me like youre right...s-sd trusses...if in doubt its better to get it clarified with your teacher~

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
sprry xayma....i havent dealt with torsion in truss systems and i havent seen the actual bridge or forces involved so i cant help u out there...but seems to me like youre right...s-sd trusses...if in doubt its better to get it clarified with your teacher~
Well Im not really worried about the torsion in the bridge Ill just say that was a reason of failure, Ill do the 2d trusses because knowing the people in my class (even though I dont mean to offend them) if I have trouble doing the mathematical part they will have great difficulty.

nafe

HSC
N/A
sorry, this is a little off topic, but im curious as to whose teaching engineering studies at MHS this year Xayma? i think i chose to do it for the hsc, but it didn't run.. not enough numbers or something

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Mr East does, it isnt running next year either due to lack of numbers but I know 2 are doing it via correspondance, being the first year to do it at MHS makes you feel kind of guilty, we have gotten 2 textbooks and 3 study guide sort of things and those are the new books.

MoNNiE

HSC
torsion is npt really delt within this syllabus..
i do know abit.. but it's very limited

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MoNNiE
torsion is npt really delt within this syllabus..
i do know abit.. but it's very limited
Yeah Im not going to do anything with Torsion, ie Calculations but Ill put excess torsion as one of the reasons it failed.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
good reasoning there mate....btw xayma since albury is on the border could you do the VCE if you wanted to?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
good reasoning there mate....btw xayma since albury is on the border could you do the VCE if you wanted to?
I would have to go to school in Victoria but there isnt really anything stopping me. I would have to do yr11 again though because the syllabus is different.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Im not sure if I could go to School in Victoria however, without living in the state. Maybe under exceptional circumstances (like if I just moved to NSW during my final year) but Im not sure if I would accept me.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
oh my goodness...where are all these people? come one- surely more of you must be doing engineering studies out there...

stop forum lurking and contribute to the thread!~

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
I'm doing civil engineering at uni..but didnt do eng. studies at school so i kinda suck at truss analysis...i did it first semester but not in much detail

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
oh my goodness...where are all these people? come one- surely more of you must be doing engineering studies out there...
Well by the looks of it, Ill be the only one in this forum asking questions for the year... Ill have to get confused alot then.

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Dont worry all us ex-engineering studies students will help all of you'se out!
:cool:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yay I have about 6 ex-engineering students to help me alone out. *Runs off greedily

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)