Working and studying (1 Viewer)

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
I have applied to work at some local stores like woolies and big w. Any advice on getting an edge over the other applicants? Im also currently doing my HSC, would it be a disadvantange to work during year 12?

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Make your resume really impressive... thats the eye catcher to an employer obviously...
And yes, working during year 12 is not so much a good idea (from my perspective)...
but if you can manage (ie your generally a hard worker) then it should be alrite...
It's juss that I have a couple of friends that could've dun better in their HSC if they weren't workin at all...

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
yeah i stopped working mid way through yr 12 to fit in 'study', however not working didn't really make me study more..it just created time for me to lounge about...so yeah its up to u..if u feel comfortable working a lot and adapting study patterns, then go for it!

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
in my opinion, you should only work during year 12 if
1. the job is relevant to what you want to do in the future, and you can learn something valuable
2. the pay is very good
3. you really, really enjoy the job

otherwise it'll only be wasting your precious study time

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
i figured that if i dont work now i wont have any work experience at all in the future. i think it is harder to get a job later in life and it is easy to gain employment now because when ur still young employers like hiring u because they can pay u less. work experience may be useful when getting a job after or during uni. but then the trade off would be EXPERIENCE Vs STUDY TIME

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
it really depends on your ability to balance between work and study. if you don't procrastinate and don't get too many shifts, you should be fine.

otherwise you'll need to decide if you want to risk your UAI (hence desired uni place) for an entry-level job experience :)

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
is there a point of equilibrium to maximise both work and study output? say in the ratio 1h-work:2h-study? or sumthing else

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Vladormarx said:
i figured that if i dont work now i wont have any work experience at all in the future. i think it is harder to get a job later in life and it is easy to gain employment now because when ur still young employers like hiring u because they can pay u less. work experience may be useful when getting a job after or during uni. but then the trade off would be EXPERIENCE Vs STUDY TIME
it also depends how long you are willing to wait for a job after you finish school. i think it's hard to juggle school and work but you have to realise that after you leave school you won't get a job right away, it may even take you a year or two.

as for the ratio, 1h work:2h study is not good. i would just say 10 hours work MAX, study any other time you have.

i would guess (i didn't work during school but this would have made little difference to me) - saturday morning work 9-1 then go home and study. then maybe also thurs night 5-9 or 6-10.

even better - sun morning 8 or 9 to 12 or 1 (time and a half so you're getting money and experience) plus thurs night. in this situation you could do all your homework during the week plus start assessments if you have time, do your assessments all day sat, go to work sun morning and add finishing touches to the assessment sun arvo.

it also depends on what other committments you have and whether you play sport etc. for whether you can balance work and school.

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
thx...i was thinking of around 10 hours of work and the rest study since i dont do sport

sarevok

HSC
I worked during Year 12 and I wouldn't recommend working at all if you're aiming for a high UAI. I ended up with a UAI of 97.8 but I had literally no leisure time throughout the year because I spent all my time either working or studying. I came close to burning out several times during the year. Entry level jobs aren't very difficult to get even if you didn't work at school. Overall maximizing your UAI is more important than getting work experience. However it does depend on what UAI you're aiming for and how often you're working.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i got 99 and i had 10-15 hrs of work and up to 30 during holidays
work helps get ure mind off the study.. lovd it.. !

and for certain courses it helps to show u can handle work/study/ play

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Yeah, it really does depend on what sort of UAI you're looking at needing.

But then again, my UAI was shocking (in an extremely excellent way) considering how little I studied !!
But I'm just a smart person by nature :p

elisabeth

HSC
Firstly, I'll assume you plan on doing quality study during the hours you would be working, if you decide not to get a job.

I reckon it depends on your study habits (do you study consistantly? or do you bludge till the last minute and not do as well as you could have? are you better at putting in quality, or quantity?) Can you do really well without putting a lot of effort/time in?

I think having a job, even for a few hours a week, looks good on your CV later (shows you can balance school/work/leisure - nobody has to know -exactly- how many hours you worked!) and it gives you a balance.

You gotta remember... some people will spend the same amount of time you spend working at the beach, out partying, playing sport or just doing nothing. At least you'd be getting money and experience ;) So I say go for it, you can always quit later if you find you need more time for study.

Also, depending on the job, you can sometimes put in study while you work... I sometimes learn new german vocab while I'm cleaning or just think back to what we learned that day while vaccuuming. [/geek]

Anywho... what UAI/uni course are you aiming for?

duggoh

Adam
HSC
I guess it also depends on what ur spending ur money on, and if what you are spending it on is really worth your time...

For example, I'm saving so that when I'm at uni and living in student housing, ill have some money 2 put down a bond and pay my first term's rent...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
elisabeth said:
Firstly, I'll assume you plan on doing quality study during the hours you would be working, if you decide not to get a job.

I reckon it depends on your study habits (do you study consistantly? or do you bludge till the last minute and not do as well as you could have? are you better at putting in quality, or quantity?) Can you do really well without putting a lot of effort/time in?
i agree with that. i only put in half effort and bludge a lot until a couple of days before exams or assessments are due which is when i work very hard to polish everything off. this means that if i have less time to do homework i am more likely to put in more effort in the time i do have. but at the same time it means i need my rest time where i can bludge a bit so i don't burn out. (in this situation i don't know if it would have been better for me to have a job or not during year 12 but i am glad i didn't because i am stoked with my uai and wouldn't want it any other way incase i got a lower uai).

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
its good for experience, but I wont suggest you should work during year 12. It might be a good break from study all the time. In the end its upto u.

stardom

yeh i worked during the hsc........i only took time off during the actual exams, but overall i reckon it was good cause u had money but also time when u didnt have to worry about having to study or whatever.
only prob is, its probably not a good thing if youre one of those people who leaves stuff til the last minute cause work might get in the way then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)