• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Working and HSC (1 Viewer)

KingDakai

HSC
So i was wondering does working affect your HSC results ?
Like would it lower your mark or anything or just have no effect at all .
Did working really mess with your studying and limit your time?

If possible, could you say the Number of Hours you worked per week prior to HSC (if you did work) and the HSC Mark that you got.

I'm sorry for being so...homo but yeah just wanna know and make sure I won't fail my HSC because I got a job :D

Chyeahh thanks.

johony

HSC
keep it until just before your HSC begins. you could probably juggle a job, school work and perhaps a social life for a couple of months in the HSC, but it really isn't worth it in my opinion. frees up headspace too.

edit: hsc year, not year 11 which doesn't matter so much

Last edited:
HSC
It really is different for everyone.

Myself, I worked 3-5 hours a week from May-November. This worked for me, it wasn't that I crazy studied in my other time but I did other things like get my licence, and just have time to breathe which I think is important. I got mid 90s, which I was very happy with.

The only issue I had was if I had to work nights, which tended to be a 4.30-9.30 shift (I work in retail). Then I wouldn't be able to get hw done, so I tried to either do it beforehand, or not work these shifts.

HSC
Oh, and I only kept my job for that little amount of hours because it was something where I knew I'd be able to get 20 hours + following exams. So I didnt want to quit.

xxheersaletixx

TERI MAA :)
HSC
keep a job until like

a month before trials

but with work it wasnt sooo bad for me coz it was only like usually 4 hours on a sat and 5 on a sunday..times were in morning so i had the whole evening to study.. which i never did anyway lol

ashllis92

HSC
I actually have two jobs and at the peak I worked about 10 hours a week, my subjects weren't very homework intensive though so I don't really think that it affected my marks although I haven't actually finished the HSC yet. Both my employers are really good to work for and super flexible, they both gave me 6 weeks off for the HSC/schoolies because they know that following that I'll definately make it up to them!
I guess it really depends on how much time you need for homework and such, I would suggest that you get one near the beginning of year 11 or end of year 10 and just see how it goes. I've found that having to juggle two jobs, coaching netball, school and a social life has actually made me really organised now and I'm starting to appreciate the weeks where I felt like I just never stopped. It is hard work though and you need to be very driven in your studies to sit down and study for 3 hours after an 8 hour shift serving shitheads burgers...

ashllis92

HSC
well put. this is something that i can't manage to do even now.
Thanks, yeah it took me a while until I finally started rejecting the longer shifts because I knew that even a 6-2 in the morning, I wouldn't do anything for the rest of the day. It's easier to study then work IMO so I ended up doing a lot of late nights... By trials I ws able to work 8h then study 6h but those days were living hell ...

TheStallion

HSC
A chick at work came in and worked until midnight the night before her Chemistry HSC exam. Absolutely stupid if you ask me. I'll keep working actively until the month before trials or something - then I'll just put in an extended leave or something.

As for the OP - you have a while to go until the HSC, no real need to worry about your job clashing with studies in prelim year.

HSC
During Year 11 I worked 11 hours per week, and during my HSC year I worked 7 hours a week, only on weekends. I think this is what helped me the most because I did most of my school work during the week. I found it hard during Year 11 to work after school, I really couldn't be bothered to properly apply myself to homework or study after that shift. But really, people like to think that the HSC is all-consuming, but you definitely have to have time for other things in your life or you will go insane. Having work there is a break from study as well. But I would suggest just working on weekends if you can, and not all day long for both days, so you still have time to do other things as well. But when it comes down it, it's really all about you, and how you manage your time, how much you in particular need to study - everybody is different. My friend did 16 units, had two jobs etc. was an extremely busy person but because she managed her time well got a UAI of 99+

KingDakai

HSC
Ah okay thanks for that info, I think I'll go get a job soon.
I don't know, I hope I can be able to work, to study and to go out without struggling too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)