Work experience (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
hey everyone

I was just wandering has anyone had any work experience before (either paid or unpaid)? and how did you get it (e.g connections through people, uni, etc)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Careerhub. It seems every university has a careerhub (or something similar). Its basically a career website for uni students, and employers list their jobs available to students. You need your student number to access it though. If you can find it, its the best.

Other than that, you can always apply to the smaller suburban firms and ask for work experience. You'll have better luck there than at the bigger ones.

Jonathan A

HSC
Mine was an interesting story. My father, being a police officer, pulled over a driver for a driving matter. He issued him with an infringement notice. The driver went to his lawyer who saw my father to view the video evidence. That lawyer is now my boss.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
= Jennifer = said:
hey everyone

I was just wandering has anyone had any work experience before (either paid or unpaid)? and how did you get it (e.g connections through people, uni, etc)
I got my job (paid) through seek.com.au

They sometimes have jobs adverstised which relate to what you're studying.

Word of mouth from friends is another way to find degree related jobs or work experience.

Also, you might take up a subject or degree which has a compulsory work experience component

omg_a

HSC
a local firm where i went to highschool offered a scholarship to a student commencing law in 2005, from the area, short story i got the scholarship, then rang them in october and said hey i'm home for the holidays can i do some work with you and i am for 3 weeks now. this is easier as i live in a sort of small town, and so the firm isn't very big. harder in the city i think, unless u know someone.

Jonathan A

HSC
On that, one of our lecturers for Advanced Criminal Law was a Prosecutor and she said that jobs are more readily available in the remote areas than city areas because of the demand factor. If it does get to this, the best thing to do is get into the rural firms and transfer into their city branches if they have any.

L

LaraB

lol i got the 1st job thru our crim lecturer - maybe you should talk to her jen since she runs pro-bono n stuff coz maybe she knows of places looking for people atm for stuff other than the pro-bono scheme..

then got my present and future placements thru them - they liked me lol so i've been hired in another department for another month and i'm "booked" lol for 2006/07 lol - helps if you find a place with a lazy supervisor who wants to hire people so she can have a longer xmas holiday:)

they said though i was like... the first person in ages who wasn't hired thru an agency - sounds like a lot of places feel a desperate need to use agencies even though all they do is bitch after about how shit the people they got from the agencies were... might help to find out who hates agencies lol coz they'd be more likely to hire someone who just sends in a resume:)

L

LaraB

omg_a said:
a local firm where i went to highschool offered a scholarship to a student commencing law in 2005, from the area, short story i got the scholarship, then rang them in october and said hey i'm home for the holidays can i do some work with you and i am for 3 weeks now. this is easier as i live in a sort of small town, and so the firm isn't very big. harder in the city i think, unless u know someone.
i know tehre's a couple of firms in the epping area looking for people most years around xmas time ie summer break - they said the same thing - people always wanna work at Sydney CBD firms so they get very few enquiries from students and only really get peope sending resumes if they advertise a position so its probably a good idea to look at places not in the city CBD:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)