Work Experience ? (1 Viewer)

jbor

HSC
N/A
Hi ,
One of the alternative pathways for non recent school leavers is getting accessed by your work experience.
The Uni website states it has to be 12 months paid , full time employment and doesn't have to be related to your selected course of studies.
Has anybody any experience of this route ? Is it based on salary, position held etc? Just wondering how they can allocate a UAI(or similar) based on this.
Holds a bit of importance for me as it may be my way in to Uni if UAI's rise this year.
TIA,
J

Jacks

HSC
I'm not quite sure, I'll look into it for you, but I'm sure someone here has a better idea than I do. Remeber though that should you not get the UAI you need for a particular course that you have several options and that this would be just one of those. You can go to tafe and transfer from there, you can enrol in a degree with a lower UAI in UWS and transfer internally or you can transfer from another uni altogether. I'm sure you are aware of all of these options though and consider this to be your most desireable should you not get in first time around. I'll see what I can find out...but fingers crossed you may not need an alternate entry at all...what course are you interested and what were the UAI cutoffs last year? Just so I have a better idea of what your options are. :)

klh

HSC
Last edited:

jbor

HSC
N/A
Jacks said:
I'm not quite sure, I'll look into it for you, but I'm sure someone here has a better idea than I do. Remeber though that should you not get the UAI you need for a particular course that you have several options and that this would be just one of those. You can go to tafe and transfer from there, you can enrol in a degree with a lower UAI in UWS and transfer internally or you can transfer from another uni altogether. I'm sure you are aware of all of these options though and consider this to be your most desireable should you not get in first time around. I'll see what I can find out...but fingers crossed you may not need an alternate entry at all...what course are you interested and what were the UAI cutoffs last year? Just so I have a better idea of what your options are. :)
Hi ,
I am looking at Social Work with Social Science (Welfare) as a back up.
I appreciate that thanks. I believe SW had a cut off of 72 last year which is quite low. However what my UAI will be is a mystery as my quals are overseas quals (Ireland and UK) so you never know how the translation to UAI will go. My work experience is extremely strong ( Engineering) so have a chance with that - I hope (famous last words!!)
Thanks for the reply
(BTW love the username means something totally different in Ireland :) )

jbor

HSC
N/A
klh said:
with thansk to Frigid for providing the doc, http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=6232
and read this thread for more info about transfers:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=45647
with the document it will tell you your position held and the equivalent uai, just scroll until you get to employemnt something...

edit:
btw, Jacks dont you need to study????
Mate
That is awesome - thanks a million. Looks like I would be a 88 which , if I got it , would be 16 UAI more than I need (unless everyone decides to do social work rather than law :rolleyes: )

Again thanks for that

jbor

HSC
N/A
Thanks to all who replied to this - it has been a great help
Stay cool

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
klh said:
what does Jacks mean in Ireland?
im intrigued...:)
Stop procrastinating and study :p

ooh dear, work experience reminded me, I need to do 400 hours :( I think I'll start during the christmas break.

Jacks

HSC
klh said:
what does Jacks mean in Ireland?
im intrigued...:)
As am I...what does it mean??...*shrugs*...though if you like it, it can't be that bad?? :p

klh said:
btw, Jacks dont you need to study????
klh I don't have any exams...I had one for language which I finished last week of the semester and my other units had essays instead of exams so I just ended up having to write 10 000 words plus...but that's better for me because I don't mind essays and suck at exams ;)

Last edited:

klh

HSC
hahaha....that is funny...
10 000 words? well at least you have refrence material, no exams!!!! ohhhh....
maybe i shouldnt have asked :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)