Work Experience (1 Viewer)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Well work experience starts tomorrow for me, and I'm doing it a at a computer building/repair shop. Too bad I don't even know how to open up the case of a computer, lol.

Any general tips I should know?

soph2989

HSC
davidbarnes said:
Well work experience starts tomorrow for me, and I'm doing it a at a computer building/repair shop. Too bad I don't even know how to open up the case of a computer, lol.

Any general tips I should know?
Tell them that you don't know about how to build a PC. Seriously, just get them to show you once and you should pick it up, its not hard, but if you have no idea you can damage parts or people which could cost a lot.

Last edited:

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Ok, first day went alright.

Put up all their Christmas deorations, cleaned out and sorted hundreads of components. Untanged over 200 cords (and about 100 power supplies) and bundled these all individually. Downloaded updates and drivers and stuff. Tested some cd rom drives. Setup a computer. Installed windows a couple of times. And filled printer inks.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Are we allowed to do work experience in Year 11 and 12?

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
Did mine at Turramurra Music Centre. Really fun and got a $75 discount on anything there as well. The website is www.turramusic.com.au

blahmeh

HSC
Our school has like this work experience week...'nd we have to organise it ourselves...its in August although even though im at the beginning of yr 10 our careers counsellor is like you have to organise it now to get an placement.

And i got a work experience placement at

FEDERAL COURT OF AUSTRALIA

So ecstatic! absolute yayness!

:jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi: :jedi:

blahmeh

HSC
um...ur skool should offer it with your work experience placement

Inque

HSC
*newb*

I went to mine some time last term, fairly early - I was the first student sent off from my school to work experience this year. Short notice XD

I got to go to Taronga Zoo for a whole week, working in the Veterinary and Quarantine Centre - "care of sick, injured and orphaned animals". I was ecstatic =DD I spent the whole time running around with this stupid grin plastered on my face.

needles

fairyfloss.
HSC
our work experience isnt until the last 2 weeks of term 4!! ages away!!

people say its stupid to work at places like dolly or magz coz all u do is make coffee..what do you think??

cs01001

HSC
If you get into something interesting like a law or accounting firm, then it might be worth the effort, but if you fail to grab a spot at a good place, then I reckon it isn't really worth the effort. They won't let you do the real stuff anyway, I reckon they will let you do photocopying, tidying, cleaning etc. : \

Sofstar

HSC
needles said:
people say its stupid to work at places like dolly or magz coz all u do is make coffee..what do you think??
I've heard magazines like those are hard to get into, as in, the waiting list is long so if you're planning on doing it there, you should start calling around waaaaay before you want to do work experience there.

When i did it at a dymocks store in yr 10 i had to take down their decorations. Hahahaha. But yes, you will be asked to do stuff like that but not all the time.

HSC
cs01001 said:
If you get into something interesting like a law or accounting firm, then it might be worth the effort, but if you fail to grab a spot at a good place, then I reckon it isn't really worth the effort. They won't let you do the real stuff anyway, I reckon they will let you do photocopying, tidying, cleaning etc. : \
Well of course they won't let you do anything "exciting", you aren't qualified to. But its more of a chance to experience the working environment more than anything, to figure out if that is the sort of thing you want to do, the sort of enviorment you want to work in etc for a certain period of time.

cs01001

HSC
watatank said:
Well of course they won't let you do anything "exciting", you aren't qualified to. But its more of a chance to experience the working environment more than anything, to figure out if that is the sort of thing you want to do, the sort of enviorment you want to work in etc for a certain period of time.
True :)

Borbor

HSC
Our school's already finished our work experience week. :)

Was week 6 Term 1

buttercupjuice

HSC
ahhah hi borbor :) ! try to guess who this is . :)

LOL i worked at a hotel , and all they did was make you file ! :O not very good, but on the last day i got to work in the restaurant and that was okayish .

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
I know most work experience places won't let you do much of anything exciting, but mine did. (I just feel like bragging ^^) Well I got to operate a astronomical telescope which costs MANY thousands of dollars and also done routine stuff which most of the employees there had to do. We also got to run the place which they all had a staff meeting for the whole day. Mad as !

My advice is, if your going to do work experience, GET A GOOD PLACE NOW ! i mean if you want something really good because i personally think doing work exp. @ like a retail store or something is useless unless your looking for a job there. Good places have spaces filled up quick. For mine I applied in T2 and went during T4 and I was the last applicant available for that particular time so yeah. Also dont compare to the people in your year who are like "OMG why are you going so far just to do something like that", "Come on join us at Kmart, its just down the road" .. dont listen to stuff like that

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
I know most work experience places won't let you do much of anything exciting, but mine did. (I just feel like bragging ^^) Well I got to operate a astronomical telescope which costs MANY thousands of dollars and also done routine stuff which most of the employees there had to do. We also got to run the place which they all had a staff meeting for the whole day. Mad as !

My advice is, if your going to do work experience, GET A GOOD PLACE NOW ! i mean if you want something really good because i personally think doing work exp. @ like a retail store or something is useless unless your looking for a job there. Good places have spaces filled up quick. For mine I applied in T2 and went during T4 and I was the last applicant available for that particular time so yeah. Also dont compare to the people in your year who are like "OMG why are you going so far just to do something like that", "Come on join us at Kmart, its just down the road" .. dont listen to stuff like that
I did work experience at a Chinese restraunt that was down the road.
No-one from my school did work experience there so I decided to go and it was very good.
They were like family, every single day they invited me at lunch all round at a table and we spoke Chinese altogether.
It was a very nice place to work.

buttercupjuice said:
ahhah hi borbor :) ! try to guess who this is . :)

LOL i worked at a hotel , and all they did was make you file ! :O not very good, but on the last day i got to work in the restaurant and that was okayish .
Chinese restraunts are better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)