Work ethic (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
I'm not sure if this has been covered here, but particularly 04ers and 03ers - those who have done their major works in previous years:

Did you tend to work in chunks, i.e. work a lot on the MW for a bit, then leave it for ages and come back to it etc? Or did you do more constant research & writing?
In short, how did you organize yourself?

Just wondering because at the moment I have worked really in chunks, like until this week I hadn't done anything for at least a month.. (not including viva).. I'm not sure if this is a good thing.. I tend to put my MW stuff at the lowest priority at times when I have a lot of assessments etc, basically cos theres never any immediate work that you HAVE to do for this subject..

anyway, what do u recommend?

miffytoki

HSC
its kinda personal thing really...i worked in chunks.....like i wouldn't work on it for ages then i'ld come back to it and work on it all weekend.....i found it was easier if i left it for a while cos i was able to come back and edit my work with a fresh eye.....it helps...especially when you're developing your beginning in a critical response (i did a critical) bcos you need to be really really clear as to what your thesis is and how you intend to investigate it.

if i didn't really feel like working on my draft tho but i felt guilty for leaving it alone, i'ld just go to the library and research....researching was sort of my 'break' from ext 2.

everyone i knew sorta put the MW at the bottom of their priority whenever assessments or exams were up then ...it does make life easier tho if you do plan out what stage you want to be in your MW throughout the year and stick to your plan...or at least close to it ....for me i sorta planned my 'breaks' from my MW to coincide with assessments and exams...so after the exams or assessments were over i'ld be able to come back to my MW and start work again.

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I've been thinking the same thing for a while. But after reading the Reflection Statements of the 50/50 EngExt2 works, I've realised that working in chunks is actually better.

HSC
N/A
Chunks baby, chunks. :)

Of course it could just be a personal thing. I know people who can write - even if dodgy - when not in a writing mood. Me - I can't write at all when I'm not in the mood, which would explain my erratic writing patterns.

However relying soley on chunks isn't the safest thing in the world... for example, one week before the MW is due with another 2000 words to write isn't going to really be solved by divine creative inspiration. Do plan a little bit every now and again to edit - now THAT you can do on a regular basis. :) And it might even inspire you to write more. :)

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
Chunks baby, chunks. :)
Agreed, otherwise you lose a good train of thought... Conversely, it's bad to work for too long, otherwise your work just becomes trash.

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Agreed, otherwise you lose a good train of thought... Conversely, it's bad to work for too long, otherwise your work just becomes trash.
Or fuel for the post-HSC bonfire ;)

stargaze

HSC
hmm yeah.. trying to at least take a look at my mj twice a week... needs to be a bit of urgency now;;

did anyone read that hsc thing in the smh a week or so ago? there was a little interview thing with Charles Prestidge-King (1st in 4u last yr).. he was saying to try and write everyday... that seems like a lot~

X

xeuyrawp

stargaze said:
did anyone read that hsc thing in the smh a week or so ago? there was a little interview thing with Charles Prestidge-King (1st in 4u last yr).. he was saying to try and write everyday... that seems like a lot~
Yes but look how good his turned out. Also look how crazy he is.

I looked at mine 3 times during a school week, then once a weekend. So 4 days a week. Shmeh.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i feel it might depend on how you perceive your major work. continuity is important, since it can be difficult working sporadically, becuase your work might start to digress a little bit, but i myself havent always been writing every day, but i'm always recording things that might be useful, if an aphorism ever strikes me, i make sure i record it, often works can evolve from there (i'm doing poetry) just by writing a great deal i feel you might learn more about your manner and method of writing, and that usually helps in adopting a style you are most suited to

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
stargaze said:
hmm yeah.. trying to at least take a look at my mj twice a week... needs to be a bit of urgency now;;

well i spoke to Charles... and well he said he was consistent however he also told me that he had times where he would work in large chunks (i.e. like spend the whole weekend on E.E.2 or most of it at least)....

anyways... what i'm doing now, since submission isn't that far away,.. is i'm writing 50 words everyday... i'm only up to about 1050 words... but by the end of this term i should be finished... easily.. plus i try to write about 200-500 words every sunday... hmm... that way every 4 unit lesson when my teacher asks to read what i've written i know i have at leats 50 words to read out... and if an assessment comes up i know that 50 words will only take me 10 minutes maximum to write... giving myslef no excuse to slack off...

oh yeh and Charles also said he worked majorly on his refelection statement, i think it was a few days before submission...., because he was told (by a reliable source)... that the reflection statment is almost worth 25/50 external ............................... so yeh i kind of freaked out when he told me this... but yeh..

even the best of the best work in chunks

X

xeuyrawp

I don't think it would be appropriate to attach a percentage figure to the RS, but I'd say that the statement can easily make or break a work. Especially in a very artistic and abstract MW, where a marker would read the RS then discover new cool things about your text. BUt yes, a lot of research wants to be blended in with your reflection statement; don't try to write a para on say your research, then a para on your text's direction, try to mix it all up together.

HSC
N/A
I was told by my teachers that the RS is DEFINATELY worth about half the mark - so definately don't slack off on the RS guys!

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I'm deffinetly a chunks person. I don't find the writing itself hard but I'm totally lazy when it comes to research so I think that is stuffing me up at the moment :(

deusexmachina

HSC
Hey all, it's Charles here (yeah, the guy that physician was talking about):

Let it be known that I didn't actually write everyday. Let it also be known that I paid for it with years of my life in the week before it was due. Trust me: do what I say in that article, not what I did.

The RS isn't just a minor determinant, it's worth as much as your major work is. Let's make that nice and sparkling clear. I also kinda found that you could read into your major work, if it was reasonably ambiguous and such.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
About that amibguity point, there is a fine line between being too ambiguous (and thus nobody knows what you're on about) and being too blunt (and losing marks for lack of artistry). I get the creeping suspicion that my poetry may be too ambiguous. Makes for an interesting, amusing at worst, reflection.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
maybe that could be somewhat resolved if you allowed a number of different people to read your work? it may give a good indication as to whether it might be too obscure

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Or better yet open your work to plagarism...
I agree though, but that person need be very persuasive in convincing one that their MW is of good quality.. it would have to be someone highly trusted.

get_born

illodous said:
Or better yet open your work to plagarism...
I agree though, but that person need be very persuasive in convincing one that their MW is of good quality.. it would have to be someone highly trusted.
or just see someone on Bos or someone you know who has done ext 2 and ask them if they could read it for you and give you an honest opinion.

But illodous is right be careful who you trust to read your work, because for all you know they could plagarise it, but it is really good to get another persons opinion.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i'm sorry, i should have clarified. i was referring to some who are not students in the course, i was referring to teachers or past students. but yes, being wary of who you share your work with is very very important.

X

xeuyrawp

deusexmachina said:
Hey all, it's Charles here (yeah, the guy that physician was talking about):

Let it be known that I didn't actually write everyday. Let it also be known that I paid for it with years of my life in the week before it was due.
Aww, I stuck to a work plan, and yet you beat me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)