Wordsworth/ Malouf 'in the wild' (1 Viewer)

Lennie

Damn i hate this topic....
Not only that, but we have a teacher that cant explain the concept of the whole thing without rambling on about some other business.

Well, i dont think many people are doing this topic, but for the unfortunate few, can anyone briefly explain to me the general outline of it?

We have an in class essay next week about it (i think it will generally be "how does the context shape meaning blah... blah") and i am completely confused and worried about my impending failure.

Anything at all would help.
thanks in advance :)

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i guess we're kind of in the same sort of circumstances with this, we've got an in-class essay next week concerning this topic aswell, so i'll try and offer all i can:

i think the main focus of the module is the study of 'in the wild' - our own definition of it, how the composers (wordsworth and malouf) define it, and the contextual, social and cultural values that influence their perceptions. we would most likely have to support our assertions through textual references.

so basically, it's a study of exactly how these works depict 'the wild' and how the environment impacts upon human beings. sort of exploring the idea that 'we're a product of our environment'

Lennie

Our teacher sort of explained that to us...
i understand its a hassle, but if you have time, would you mind giving a few specific examples how the context reflects the general idea?

all i have at the moment is wordsworth's context = romanticism was fast becoming the popular form --> his way of challenging the strict structure etc. etc.

Malouf... im not so sure. i know that there are refrences to australia, and the the perception of wild is generally more radical... but thats it.

Sorry, im just totally confused. im not at all confident about this whole thing...

Thanks again :) its good to find someone who is doing the same topic finally :)

tempco

HSC
hrm, did it last year. this is what i remember:

- wordsworth was an 18th century poet. socially acceptable interaction with the wild was tame (reflected in his more cultured version of the wild - i.e. cottages, plantations).
- philosophical connection with the wild. he sees god in nature - christianity a norm.
- malouf immigrated to australia from europe - stark difference in the greener landscape of europe when compared to australia is reflected in ovid's initial attitude to the wild.
- modern concept of immersing in the wild (e.g. bushwalking, trekking) allows for a more physiological connection with the wild.

take it with a pinch of salt.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
EnterNameHere said:

Our teacher sort of explained that to us...
i understand its a hassle, but if you have time, would you mind giving a few specific examples how the context reflects the general idea?

all i have at the moment is wordsworth's context = romanticism was fast becoming the popular form --> his way of challenging the strict structure etc. etc.

Malouf... im not so sure. i know that there are refrences to australia, and the the perception of wild is generally more radical... but thats it.

Sorry, im just totally confused. im not at all confident about this whole thing...

Thanks again :) its good to find someone who is doing the same topic finally :)
sure, i'll try, this way it helps me learn aswell :) .

but yeah, illusionz and nekkid really covered it i think, just concerning Wordsworth's context as the first poet to make a living from writing poetry, existing during the industrial revolution and feeling a lack of aestheticism (i cant spell, im sorry) in the industrialised world, hence wanted to be in somewhat of a tranquil environment, it seems as though he felt a sense of divinity in nature (pantheism) and used nature as a derivative sense of aesthetic pleasure and spiritual enlightenment.

William was also part of the romantic poets, like you said, and believed that poetry was more an expression of passion than the rigid archaic styles of previous eras (such as the epic poem, as he comments on in 'the prelude') he believed poetry to be 'a spontaneous overflow of emotion' and his passion seemed to be the environment, from which he attains a sense of spiritual enlightenment.

malouf is similar, as the others said, being born in europe and migrating to australia, he sort of emphathises with Ovid and his exile from Rome. His use of contrast in the landscape is wonderful, although what he does is sort of expresses an integration of both conceptual and physical elements into his landscape, like he says on page 2 'but i am describing a state of mind. i am in exile here' so his spiritual progression towards enlightenment is a little bit different to wordsworth's derivitave pleasure and harmony with nature, Ovid sort of undergoes a cultural devolution in his exile, having to rebuild his cultural entity in the Getae (tomis) culture. Ultimately, through his interaction with the child, ovid is exposed to a baser nature of humans, and this has a catalytic effect on his synthesis into the landscape (he says 'we have some power in us that knows its own ends....like the leaves on the tree...or something, its about page 58), and this is followed by Ovid finally opening himself up to nature (on page 90 he talks about 'letting nature back in') which in turn allows his integration into the landscape as a component of 'the wild' whilst also retaining himself as a spiritual entity and providing definition between the two.

sorry, that was sort of off-handed, i hope it helped

pete_mate

HSC
yes, these i havent looked at yet but i assume they are all correct.

tho none of you have stated the context of what was happening when maloufa actually wrote it in 1978

culturally: at this time glam rock was dying and punk rock surfacing, the hippe 60's attitudes were dying. Therefore malouf is restating the revolutionary hippie idealism to return to nature.

politically was when reagan and thatcher were coming to power, representing a further shift in ideals away from the hippie culture

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I think it's good to have different perspectives but about Malouf:
there is a real OUTSIDER type theme with Malouf's context. During the 1970s these things were happening:

Multiculturalism: people were debating about how to handle the new wave of asian and easter europian immigrants. They were tolerated but not really accepted. Malouf himself was from Lebanon and this would have also affected his view.

Environmental Awareness: The word Ecosystem was invented/being used widely. People started to realise that they were part of the environment rather than dominant species. The idea of "we can bulldoze trees and build whatever we like" started to be replaced by a need to preserve the environment. Green movements started politically.

Jewish Mother and Christian Father: In Malouf's interviews, he always spoke about tension in his family and how his family never got along. His parents marriage wasn't really accepted, only tolerated.

Being a gay writer, homosexuality was banned before. Homosexuality was also tolerated but still marginalised. (Though Malouf does not like to be exclusively as a gay writer and HSC markers hate the angle of gay person who likes little boys (The Child).

This is reflected in the character Ovid, who is tolerated but no accepted. People thought when he planting flowers that he was bizzare.

Also the stark difference in the greener landscape of europe when compared to australia is reflected in ovid's initial attitude to the wild. mentioned by Nekkid is a "very Eurocentric view" according to my teacher a HSC marker. Writing that down caused a mark deduction in my our Module A assessment, so be careful.

Hope all that above helps, also some of it is my viewpoint and you can disagree.

Dayze

HSC
I damn sure agree

I would have to say these two texts are the worst we are studying, my brother hated emma a couple of years ago but It couldnt be as bad as this...

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
zenger69 said:
I think it's good to have different perspectives but about Malouf:
there is a real OUTSIDER type theme with Malouf's context. During the 1970s these things were happening:

Multiculturalism: people were debating about how to handle the new wave of asian and easter europian immigrants. They were tolerated but not really accepted. Malouf himself was from Lebanon and this would have also affected his view.

Environmental Awareness: The word Ecosystem was invented/being used widely. People started to realise that they were part of the environment rather than dominant species. The idea of "we can bulldoze trees and build whatever we like" started to be replaced by a need to preserve the environment. Green movements started politically.

Jewish Mother and Christian Father: In Malouf's interviews, he always spoke about tension in his family and how his family never got along. His parents marriage wasn't really accepted, only tolerated.

Being a gay writer, homosexuality was banned before. Homosexuality was also tolerated but still marginalised. (Though Malouf does not like to be exclusively as a gay writer and HSC markers hate the angle of gay person who likes little boys (The Child).

This is reflected in the character Ovid, who is tolerated but no accepted. People thought when he planting flowers that he was bizzare.

Also the stark difference in the greener landscape of europe when compared to australia is reflected in ovid's initial attitude to the wild. mentioned by Nekkid is a "very Eurocentric view" according to my teacher a HSC marker. Writing that down caused a mark deduction in my our Module A assessment, so be careful.

Hope all that above helps, also some of it is my viewpoint and you can disagree.
That's a bit stupid of your teacher, because it's a fair point. As long as you've backed it up by analysing some techniques or giving reasons, you shouldn't get marked down. My teacher says that even if the marker disagrees with you, you're still entitled to the marks as long as you've elucidated your claims. I should know, I've written many things my teacher completely disagrees with, but have never been marked down for it.

With regard to Wordsworth and Malouf, it's important to note that they both examine the underlying tension between humanity and nature. Wordsworth, who lost his parents at a young age, sees nature as a benevolent surrogate parent who teaches him the distinctions between right and wrong. Take, for example, 'The Prelude: Book First', where Wordsworth's conscience - what he perceives to be nature - causes a "huge peak, black and huge" to uprear its ominous head, aiming to ensure he doesn't repeat his deed of traversing the landscape in a stolen boat. His surroundings at Hawkshead Grammar School and rural 19th Century England were most suited to the forging of his spiritual interconnection with the wild.

You could also interpret Wordsworth's pantheism as depicting nature as the Christian God. Take, for example, this quotation: "And I have felt a presence that disturbs me with the joy of elevated thought".

Compare this to Malouf's Ovid, who says "If the gods are with you there, then it is because you...conjured them up..." - a true reflection of the times.

Malouf writes in a more materialistic and consumerist context where the spirituality touched on by Wordsworth has become de-emphasised, and 'An Imaginary Life' therefore portrays Ovid's physical absorption by the wild - Ovid is at one point "turning into the landscape".

Yes, you should discuss context, but the module is called 'Comparative Study of TEXTS and Context', so don't get too carried away with it.

Last edited:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
when discussing Malouf, remember that a writer's context is not restricted to the period that he wrote the text or grew up (though the obvious connections are there between his family's immigration etc.). It is also reasonable - and expected in fact - that you will at least mention the obvious links to colonisation, attitude of settlers to the new land as compared to the mother country, attitude towards Aboriginal culture and links between Aboriginal culture and, in particular, views/practice of spirituality and the villagers of Tomis. It's also a good idea if you can reference in connections to Jung or Freud and definately the influence of postmodernism which is seen se clearly in Malouf's work.
Some rudimentary knowledge of geography and the Roman Empire will also greatly enhance your response.
anyways, that's what they wanted from us last year and i assume that these haven't changed.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
c_james said:
Yes, you should discuss context, but the module is called 'Comparative Study of TEXTS and Context', so don't get too carried away with it.
I disagree --> if you look at what responses get band 6 and/or speak to any of the senior markers you will discover that the more of the points inyour discussion that you can integrate with a contextual explanation the higher your essay etc. will rate.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
WW = Romanticism, reacting to 18th century rationalism, Ideas of Voltaire and Rousseau. Panthiesm, nature as a moral frame of reference that reconciles oppposties etc

Malouf- post-colonial, migrant diaspora, shift to eastern ideas away from Judeo-Christian constructs, civilised world is divisive. Malouf can be seen as a post-modern romantic as he extends upon WW's idea to a complete dissolution in nature...

Gosh I hate comparitive study, I think i totally stuffed that question up in my half-yrly. Not enough detailed reference to the texts or techniques

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
silvermoon said:
I disagree --> if you look at what responses get band 6 and/or speak to any of the senior markers you will discover that the more of the points inyour discussion that you can integrate with a contextual explanation the higher your essay etc. will rate.
Hmm, we'll see then. For Module A in the trials, I balanced the two a fair bit. My teacher is a senior marker, so that should give a fair indication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)