Wordsworth and Malouf contexts (1 Viewer)

Tammie

For the context of Wordsworth i am practtically fine except my teacher and my tutor are telling me two different things. My tutor is Dr Wendy Michaels so im pretty sure shes right but im not 100%. N e ways did n e of your teachers talk about panthiesm? our teacher says WW wasnt but Wendy says he is...does n e 1 have an opinion I would like to hear it...

For the context of Imaginary Life we have to talk about the authors historical social and cultural contexts .... what did you guys get taught because again Wendy and my teacher have totally different opinions.

N e help would be great

HaTn\'SkOoL

Umm okay in regards to your pantheism question..

WW's ultimate understanding of nature comes from seeing a spiritual presence in the landscape. He's moved to a higher level of understanding through seeing the evidence of God who is a "motion and spirit" and " rolls through all things". The presence of god rolling thru all things certainly suggests the whole idea of pantheism.. ie God is in everything and everything is God..

For WW creation presents signs of the creator who he appreciates "Listen! The Mighty Being is awake". WW's fundamental belief is that god exists in all creation. He shows that the true and deep pleasures of nature are only evident when one realises the spiritual presence of God and looks beyond nature to the supernatural.

So I dnt knw.. thats wat we were taught.. you can also say how he includes religous imagery in his writing to emphasise the peace and stillness of nature which is ultimately linked back to his belief in the "omni-presence of God"..

Dont know if that was any help but thats what I knw about the whole idea of pantheism!

Faizun

HSC
of course ww believed in pantheism. his poetry demonstrates a three way relationship between god, man and nature. he personifies nature in "Tintern Abbey" when he sees nature as "the guide, the guardian of my heart, and soul/of all my moral being", attributes associated with god. In nature he sees god.

As for the context of the composers, u do have to talk about both the composers' historical, social and cultural contexts. ww's christian beliefs of the C18th are reflected in his poetry and we find the three way relationship mentioned above. malouf's pagan beliefs are reflected in the portrayal of man as the creators of their landscapes.

hope that helps.

Seppuku

HSC
But that's not wat you said in class miss!! :p

*Module A is painful...*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)