Word Count (1 Viewer)

darcho

HSC
N/A
Anyone know if quotes are included in our word count? My essay is 4800 words, the reflection statement is 1200, if quotes aren't included then i guess it would help.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
I believe quotes are not meant to be formally included in the word count.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
darcho said:
Anyone know if quotes are included in our word count? My essay is 4800 words, the reflection statement is 1200, if quotes aren't included then i guess it would help.
I don't believe there is discrimination between what is quoted and what is not when performing a word count.

EDIT: Try checking the syllabus if you are still unsure.

Last edited:

case88

HSC
haha, i'm sooo screwed if quotes are counted. but, now that i think about it, they must be - otherwise, they would have clearly spelt it out for us, wouldnt they? 'cos they know just as well that critical people use quotes like hell (most, anyway).

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
There is so much ambiguity regarding the Word Count and Limit.

Seriously... like some teachers and the syllabus say that its 5-6000 INCLUDING reflection
some senior markers i've talked to tell me that it doesn't include the reflection statement

then quotes - like everyone has different opinions.

Is everyone actually adhereing to the whole formatting style they outlined in the syllabus.. ie. TImes New Roman or Arial Font size 12 Double spaced
I had this full good layout going on, then I read the syllabbus and I'm just like how stupid...

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
Yeah we are in the same boat Richie.

I was working toward the 6000 word limit as I didn't realise it included the reflection statement.

In the next few weeks I'm going to focus mostly on just cutting it down another 1000 words or so.

j-mo

HSC
My teacher actually told us NOT to include our word count. For some odd, odd reason. I did anyways; too late, I suppose. I was well within, in any case.

Didn't have a problem with quotes because most of them were included in footnotes, so yeah. Lucky that, I suppose!

Oh, and on the formatting bit; I recommend you keep to it, save for titles et al. Apparently, that's the way the markers check to make sure your word count is ok - they know approx. how much fits on an A4 page in size 12 double spacing. Or so my teacher tells me, in any case.

christinebean

HSC
Does anyone know yet?
I've rung up the Board and the ETA and no one knows!! In Harvard Style of Referencing quotes are not included. I have 5.600 words not including Reflection Statement but when I cut out quotes it means I have to cut out less of my acutal writing. Has anyone excluded quotes and got marked down or anyhing?? I don't know what to do.

help!!

Chuggie

HSC
the wordcount includes quotes but not a bibilography. what that means that if you use a quote its counts BUT if you reference where it cames then the reference itself doesnt count but the quote still does

phia101

HSC
so how long does the reflection statement have to be?

A

amy.fuller

1000-1500 words for Reflection statement
look at board of studies for more details too

Rowman

CCCP
HSC
wait, so for creative writing, is the limit 8000 INCLUDING reflection statement of 1000-1500 words or is it 8000 words PLUS RS of 1000-1500 words? Because my mw is coming to 7770 words and so far my reflection is like 682 words, but i'm planning to do close to 1500, so if it's the former that means i'm screwed...

Chuggie

HSC
Rowman said:
wait, so for creative writing, is the limit 8000 INCLUDING reflection statement of 1000-1500 words or is it 8000 words PLUS RS of 1000-1500 words? Because my mw is coming to 7770 words and so far my reflection is like 682 words, but i'm planning to do close to 1500, so if it's the former that means i'm screwed...
for a creative its 8000 PLUS an extra 1000-1500 words for a reflection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)