Women's college scholarship (1 Viewer)

mellarr

HSC
Hi I was wondering how many and the value of scholarships colleges in general provide as I was hoping to go to Women's, however I do not want to burden my parents with 20k + fees especially after paying for private school.

Also women's offers scholarships for academic excellence ie. one for an undergrad who has the highest admission score. What are the chances of me receiving this scholarship if I am expecting an atar of approximately 98+?

Thanks!

izzy88

HSC
Hey - glad to see you are applying to women's! I definitely recommend it. :)

College fees are expensive, but I'm pretty sure they are less than $20k - perhaps $14-15k when I last looked (although they do go up every year).

Women's have a wide variety of specific scholarships (such as the academic ones), but I think most people end up just getting generic 'women's college scholarships'. I think in any given year there may be up to 50 scholarships awarded (out of a college of around 250 people). For the general women's college scholarships you have to apply for these every year, and they vary in value - its up to the scholarship committee. I'm not sure what the average is, but from talking to people/anecdotal evidence I've heard of these general scholarships awarding anywhere between $2000 to $5000 a year.

To be honest the highest admission score is likely to be in the 99.x area - in previous years women's have gotten students with 99.9 etc, so this is a very difficult one to get. However this isn't the end, because as I said above, most of their scholarships end up coming out of the general fund/pool that are not specific - just write a good scholarship application form. :)

mellarr

HSC
the fees are gone up to 23k this year....My parents don't want me to go unless it's at least a half scholarship. the chance of getting that are incredibly slim aren't they....

izzy88

HSC
the fees are gone up to 23k this year....My parents don't want me to go unless it's at least a half scholarship. the chance of getting that are incredibly slim aren't they....
half scholarships are pretty difficult i reckon. However you will never know until you apply. Are you from the country or are you from sydney?

however I just wanted to look at where you were getting your figures for $23k. Looking at the fees this year, it is $432 per week. It will probably go up a bit a week next year - maybe $440-50. However residents don't live at college the entire year - they generally only stay for 34 weeks per year (ie. 17 weeks each semester - a uni semester is 13 weeks, plus 1 week stuvac, 2 weeks exams and 1 week mid-semester break), and go home during the holidays. It is rare for students to stay at college all year around (unless they are overseas students, or have a job in sydney).

So for 2011 most students would be paying: 34 weeks x $423 = $14,620 (accommodation and food). There are couple of incidentals such as bond etc, but you get this back when you leave college. I hope that provides a bit more clarification regarding fees.

Certainly if you were going to stay for 52 weeks, it would around $23k, but saying that, i don't even think college is open for 52 weeks, I have a suspicion they basically close down at least for a couple of weeks over christmas. Normally in the holidays they have conferences and stuff stay there.

mellarr

HSC
I'm from sydney however on the outer fringes so it will take a while to travel to and form university. I didn't realise that the cost was actually going to be 14000. I thought it was what it said to be the cost per year at the bottom! That seems slightly better now. If I do end up getting just above above 99, say 99.0-99.2, the chances of getting a scholarship will be probably be slim still, am I correct?

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
I'm from sydney however on the outer fringes so it will take a while to travel to and form university. I didn't realise that the cost was actually going to be 14000. I thought it was what it said to be the cost per year at the bottom! That seems slightly better now. If I do end up getting just above above 99, say 99.0-99.2, the chances of getting a scholarship will be probably be slim still, am I correct?
oh i see where the $23,000 came from - you're talking about the cost comparison on the website?

I was just calculating on the actual fees paid to the college (which includes accommodation and meals). The cost comparison is an estimate done by the college of the fees plus other things you may spend money on (but not to the college). This includes, for example, your mobile phone bill, laundry, internet, travel, entertainment, miscellaneous stuff etc. Sure you may spend money on these things, and the cost of living will be more than the fees you pay to college, but you would probably be spending money on this stuff even if you were living at home. They are just general living stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)