Woah wtf? (1 Viewer)

PwnerKebab

HSC
Ok i want to do engineering/science at usyd or unsw and for some reason my family got all skit when i told them i want to be an engineer. Apparently theres no money or even jobs in engineering in australia. One of my family friends allegedly has a masters in engineering from an american university and works in IT simply cause theres no work. This all sounds like bullshit to me, but yeah, how is Australia doing at the moment with engineering?

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm not in the industry so I dunno but my dad couldn't find work as a civil engineer (though admittedly he was trained overseas and was already in his 40s when we migrated here), several of my brother's (technology) teachers were engineers who couldn't find work here, and my brother's tutor's son is a civil engineer who recently lost his job and had to move back home. It seems all the engineers we know can't find jobs.

LordPc

HSC
BS

if you are good enough, you will find a job

having a masters from MIT (ie Howard) is different from a masters from some unknown american college

just cause they failed, doesnt mean that you will

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A
listen to him, most engineers are just glorified 'plug and chug' number monkeys, the only money is in engineering 'management', which requires one to have a lot of previous experience or a specific degree in management (and good communication skills, something most 'grunter' eng aspies lack) .
Fresh grads have decent starting salaries, but their future earnings outlook is disgusting, after 15 years something like 90% are still making less than 90k.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
From what i've seen and heard during my work experience, the demand of engineers in Australia at the moment are in the more 'traditional' areas: electrical (power), mechanical and some civil areas where most of the baby boomer engineers are looking to retire. Software engineers are in mild demand and electronics engineering jobs are pretty hard to find in australia.

witide

HSC
iuno probs med or law lol. i dont give a shit what they say anyway i havent even considered doing something else
Good on you then. Law sucks, and any parent who forces their child into medicine is an idiot. Engineering is a top field to get into, and the core disciplines will always be in demand.

LordPc

HSC
im sorry? what?
i think he was taking a stab at you by saying that your family was only informed of your future after you put in your preferences for the main round of uni offers

however i think he may have missed the fact that you are a 10er and not an 09er

law or med? lol. those degrees take immense amounts of effort for people that actually want to study them. you can always tell your parents that you are going for postgrad med and that you need to do well in your eng course to get there. might turn them from foe to friend

kooltrainer

HSC
well for one thing.. civil engineerings pay is crap... its somewhat like accounting.. which is even crappierrrrr

HSC
Ok you are all seriously misinformed lol

there are plenty of engineering jobs out there probably averaging $100k

HSC
I work in engineering and work for local council

non degree qualified engineers are on $75k. Managers are on $110k with 10yrs exp at the most

you could walk unto a job too basically

brunx

HSC
this doesnt sound right...
i definitely saw something in the news a while ago that engineering is one of the most prospective/high average salaries/high employment rate careers in australia. it was ranked up there with medicine and dentistry graduates, i think maybe 3rd behind those in terms of prospects.

edit: although that might have just been referring to a specific branch of engineering such as civil, i cant remember the article exactly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)