wireless networking between PC and Apple powerbook (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
Is it possible to do a wireless network between a PC hooked up to a cabled ethernet and a wireless enabled powerbook? IE. Wireless PCI card in PC sending/receiving data from the powerbook? I don't really wanna go out and buy a wireless hub or router.
The net connection isnt on my pc, which is the one i wanna put the wireless pci card in, but the net connection is shared onto my pc.
I basically wanna be able 2 use the powerbook arround my house without having to take a cable arround everywhere i go!

fatmuscle

HSC
go infrastructured wireless
not many use ad-hoc at the moment.

even though it is possible, it's more hassel

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
JimmyK said:
Is it possible to do a wireless network between a PC hooked up to a cabled ethernet and a wireless enabled powerbook? IE. Wireless PCI card in PC sending/receiving data from the powerbook? I don't really wanna go out and buy a wireless hub or router.
The net connection isnt on my pc, which is the one i wanna put the wireless pci card in, but the net connection is shared onto my pc.
I basically wanna be able 2 use the powerbook arround my house without having to take a cable arround everywhere i go!
I'm sorry, I don't understand (you seem to contradict yourself?). Explain the situation again, and I may be able to help (I have a cable connection to a wireless router, feeding 3 PC's and my Mac, so I may be able to help).

Fill in this pic:

NET <--?--> PC <--?--> MAC

fatmuscle

HSC
yeah i don't quite get it fully when reading over and over again.

Can you please re type your question, but please use names. eg. PC1, PC2, Laptop1, Laptop2
stuff like that.

if you're thinking of

PC1 is connected to internet via cable, but u want to install a wireless PCI card in it, so u can share it out to LAPTOP1 through wireless,
then i'm not sure exactly how you'd do that.
wireless isn't quite the same as cabling how it's a matter of different cables.

if you're doing ad-hoc networking, u may need to bridge ur wireless and cabled internet connection. but i'm not sure. never heard of such a connection b4. Most ppl would prefer to buy a router, as u can manage it much simpler.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
If I understand your question correctly, no, you can't. A computer with a wireless card cannot manage another computer connected through wireless.

I think you could probably set it up as the following, although, you would have to buy some more equipment:

Modem --- (connected through cable) ---> Wireless Router (4 port switch)

You could then connect both your computer and laptop with wireless cards, or cable one of the ports of the switch to your desktop, and use a wireless card in the laptop.

JimmyK

HSC
heres what im trying to do

INTERNET >>>> PC with Dial up Connection >>>> HUB >>>> MY PC (with other computers on network attached to hub) >>> ?????????? (Wireless solution) >>> Powerbook

I basically want to know if i can fill in the question marks with a wireless card in my PC so that it can talk to my powerbook - and share the net connection.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
JimmyK said:
heres what im trying to do

INTERNET >>>> PC with Dial up Connection >>>> HUB >>>> MY PC (with other computers on network attached to hub) >>> ?????????? (Wireless solution) >>> Powerbook
Option 1

It would be more effective to set it up as so:

External Modem --- (connected through cable) ---> Wireless Router (4 port switch)

The Wireless Router with the switch then can connect 4 computers to it with cable, and you can put a wireless card into your laptop for it to connect also.

However I'm not sure if an External 56k modem can connect to a router and share a connection, or if it only works with a Broadband modem.

Option 2

INTERNET -(Phone Cable)-> PC with Dial up Connection -(cat5/5e cable)->

Wireless router w/ Switch -(cat5/5e cable)-> Other computers

Wireless router w/ Switch -(wireless)-> Laptop

HOWEVER;

Sharing a Dial-up connection over a network, and then over a wireless network is going to be extremely slow, especially sent over the wireless with other computers using the bandwidth. Just something to consider before you implement anything, as it may not be beneficial at all.

JimmyK

HSC
yea.. i know taht dialup over a network is slow.. we currently have 3 pcs sharing a 28.8kbps dialup connection because we cant get anything higher! Our next door neighbours (whom i can see when i look over the fence next to my bedroom window) have broadband - but Telstra refuse our applications time and time again - note that we arent applying with bigpond but our local ISP.

fatmuscle

HSC
u can't get unwired or iBurst?

if u go with unwired, their technology will be inline with WiMAX, when it gets rolled out in the future.
I'm not so sure about iBurst though.

JimmyK

HSC
we've tried getting wireless internet with local provider IDL (newcastle/hunter valley/central coast) about 2 years ago. There were trees in the road of the LOS needed to establish the connection with the tower... unless we wanted a 40 foot mast on top of our house - which was going a bit too far and was going to cost a fortune to get put up!

fatmuscle

HSC
ah..

that was 2 years ago.

wireless doesn't really rely on LOS anymore. It still helps, but direct LOS is not needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)