Wireless internet at UNSW (1 Viewer)

saves.the.day

HSC
I was just reading about the wireless internet available for laptops in UNSW on http://www.uniwide.unsw.edu.au and the pricing sounds really good. However, I was just wondering if anyone knew where you pay it to. It just says you need to pay into your UDUS account.

It gives no more information than this - I was wondering if anyone knows any more information about this? Thanks.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Affordable? Last time I checked the wireless was like dollar to connect then a dollar per megabyte - that's NOT affordable.

Ah, I see. 10 cents per meg, now. Far better. That's still at least $33 a month though, assuming you login every day. Hmm.

Ah well - can't complain. It is better than nothing.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Affordable? Last time I checked the wireless was like dollar to connect then a dollar per megabyte - that's NOT affordable.

Ah, I see. 10 cents per meg, now. Far better. That's still at least $33 a month though, assuming you login every day. Hmm.

Ah well - can't complain. It is better than nothing.

Its always been 10c/MB. And its 10c/MB for traffic outside of UNSW, otherwise its free. The connection fee is only charged at most once a day, ie you can login 10 times and you still only get charged $1.

CSE students get free funding from CSE for their UDUS accounts, which can be used for UniWide.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I realise, however, it follows you're going to use at least a byte, as well, so it will be at least $1.10 per day, unless the first meg is free.

Anyway, I seem to recall that it was $1 per meg last year. If not, well and good.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Don't quite remember exactly, but I think you can be charged for a partial MB. So its not in exacly 1MB blocks.

But I'm CSE, I've only ever topped up my UDUS account with cash once...I've always lived off the money CSE gives us.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yeahp, you'll have to talk to disconnect. Bring your laptop and your wireless card and they'll sort it out for you and set up your account.

You can't pay in cash - eftpos / cc only I believe.

And if you're a CSE scholar you get free funding and you get quite a bit of it - note that you won't be downloading any ILLEGAL mp3s or anything like that :D

sunny

meh.
HSC
anti said:
You can't pay in cash - eftpos / cc only I believe.
Unless things have changed since the last time I paid in cash...you can get a payment form from disconnect, pay the money at the cashier, and take the form back to disconnect and they'll top you up.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Ah sorry .. I always just paid by eftpos :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ You don't not in anything CSE, then, Anti? :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Nevermind. I was wondering what degree you did, since I thought you meant you have to pay for your WiFi (hence you mustn't do a comp degree). But your profile says comp sci, so... yeah, basically what I'm saying is: ignore me. :p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Right.. yeah, I've paid for uniwide for the next two years pretty much so I'm set for my degree :p

having said that I do a lot of surfing in lectures >.>

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Haha. Simply having the ability to do that is sweet. Can't wait for uni.

Idyll

HSC
McLake said:
Note that the CSE department has it's own (virtually) FREE wireless network centralised around K17.
is it just for CSE students or can anyone use it?

also, is it possible to plug your own computer into the wired lan? or can you only use the wireless lan to connect your own computer?

thanks

sunny

meh.
HSC
Idyll said:
is it just for CSE students or can anyone use it?

also, is it possible to plug your own computer into the wired lan? or can you only use the wireless lan to connect your own computer?

thanks
You need to be a CSE student to use it, since any usage here comes out of the CSE student's quota.

B

Bambul

There is a wireless netweork that can be used by anyone (or maybe just UNSW students/staff). You pay $1 to connect to it for one day, and then you only pay if you go to non-UNSW websites (so you can use UniMail, WebCT and myUNSW for free - these may not mean much to you if you haven't started at UNSW yet, but they soon will).

Most faculties also have computer labs where you can use computers, the library and Union also have computers at uni. If you're sneaky you can plug your laptop into the netweork used by these computers, but I don't recommend it because you can get into a lot of trouble - and heck, there's a computer right there anyway!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Bambul said:
There is a wireless netweork that can be used by anyone (or maybe just UNSW students/staff). You pay $1 to connect to it for one day, and then you only pay if you go to non-UNSW websites (so you can use UniMail, WebCT and myUNSW for free - these may not mean much to you if you haven't started at UNSW yet, but they soon will).
Bambul if you read the first couple of posts in the thread, UniWide is the one we've been talking about.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yes, you can connect your computer into SPECIFIC LAN ports in the CSE laptop lab (basement k17). And bring your own cat5 cable.

You aren't allowed to use the lab ports however.

grimreaper

HSC
Im going to be living on campus at Basser college. Will it be possible to use the wireless internet from my desktop pc there - and when you say that allowances are made for cse students, I was wondering how large they are as I will be one myself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)