wireless illiterate (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
I just got a new macbook and i want to connect to the internet... OK questions questions questions...

When i go to stay in the city, i can pick up a few wireless networks from the room i'm staying in (its a residential block) they all have passwords except one. Am i allowed to use this? whats the deal with using wireless networks. do they all "belong" to someone? if so how can i get my own to use so i'm not scabbing off someone elses... apologies if this all sounds completely blonde, i'm a bit of an IT barbie...

In this same block there is what looks like a public network called "boardwalk" where could i get this password?

i've been told in public areas, cafes, malls etc. theres a free wirless service so you can ask the shop ppl for a password..true?

And i want net at home, and i already have net on my home computer i need to buy an "Air port" router... correct?

Collin

HSC
N/A
All networks belong to some person(s)/organisation.

Many (say, private networks) have passwords so random people like you can't just leech off/access their network - just like if you made your own wireless network at home with access to the internet, you'd want to put a password on it so that not just anyone can leech off your network, right?

Some are 'free wireless hotspots', so anyone can access the net there for free with a wireless laptop. This is what you're looking for.

Others are also designed for the public to access, but have a password because you must subscribe/pay for their service. For example, Telstra operates a relatively extensive wireless service in the city, but it isn't free.

So in a nutshell, some networks are private (made by private individuals/organisations for their own use) and some are for public use (either free or not free).

At home, if you want to share an internet connection over several computers, you will most likely need a router. If you get a wireless router, then you can access the net wirelessly with your laptop (and essentially have created your own wireless network). Of course, this network is private so you would want to put a password on it so not just anyone can access it, right?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I've just purchased a new laptop and I'm not sure what the deal is with connecting up wirelessly (if that's a word). Basically, how do I connect to a network? Is the wireless connection then based on a broadband connection? I consulted the help topic and it says I need some sort of a router...what's that?

alby

cool duckie
HSC
yes, wirelessly is a word :p
i'm pretty sure you can wirelessly access most sorts of net connections (ie. you dont need wireless net to have a wireless connection to your laptop). all you really need is a wireless router (basically a box-looking thing with antenna, you plug the net connection from the wall & any desktop comp's into it. they'll know what you're talking about at the shop). and if you've got desktop computers, you'll need to buy some ethernet cables (usually red or blue) so they can connect to the network aswell (dont usually have wireless on them)
you'll have to set up a new network...if you're a complete noob at this sort of stuff (no offence), then it might be easier to get someone to help you set it up (make sure they teach you how to connect yourself to the network in case anything happens in the future)
after its all set up, all you have to do is flick your wireless switch on and connect to the network :)

Last edited:

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
hey heres a few ideas on what you can get:
http://dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=2&Sub1=18&Sub2=42&PID=60

A Basic wireless b/g router
Has 4 Fast Ethernet Switches so you can plug four computers through ethernet (wired lan)

if you're planning to use VoIP then this one may be the one for you:

http://dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=2&Sub1=18&Sub2=42&PID=192

oh and if you want your desktop to be wireless (as in not plugged in through ethernet) you'll need this (but don't get it unless you need to, ethernet > wireless)

http://dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=2&Sub1=18&Sub2=42&PID=109

HSC
Well, basically if there isn't a password on the network you're about to use, you deserve to steal their bandwidth.
Starbucks and McDonalds both have wireless hotspots, so you should be able to just go and connect straight up. As far as I know you don't need a password.
As for the wireless access you ARE entitled to - you should go and ask the owner of the apartment (You're in an apartment right?).

Other than that... Mac..? Bad choice my friend, even if you're using it for graphics.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
MuffinMan said:
hey heres a few ideas on what you can get:
http://dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=2&Sub1=18&Sub2=42&PID=60

A Basic wireless b/g router
Has 4 Fast Ethernet Switches so you can plug four computers through ethernet (wired lan)
we had one of those here...just recently majorly died in the arse (we only had it for a few years). now we've got one of these. my brother bought it for us...$107

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
alby said:
we had one of those here...just recently majorly died in the arse (we only had it for a few years). now we've got one of these. my brother bought it for us...$107
oh :( I wanted a billion but my dad wouldn't pay the extra 100ish dollars. I think my isp gave us a discount on those, I can't remember how much though, it has VOIP as well (I think?). Yeah my dlink is dying on me, I have a DSL-G604T, wireless speed flutuates, and sometimes the modem stops working and I have to reset it :-/

edit: how did you get it for um $107 :eek:
that's an awesome deal :)

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
I don't think there's actually any law about leeching of someone else's network
(or wasn't a year or so ago), so go for gold.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah i havent heard of any laws about leeching from someone else's network, but i heard in singapore that they made a law about that and some dude was the first person to be charged with leeching from someone elses network.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ok, I have a few more questions:

- I have accidentally managed to install two network "profiles" on the one router. It's D Link. So I have one under "default" (I was following instructions blindly and that one has no security because the instructions said so), and one that I managed to make that is secure. So what will happen to the router now? When I log into the configuration website, there is only one profile for the access point but on my laptop the two networks are showing up.
- How do you do wireless printing? I thought just plugging in the router was good enough standing for a network?

And lastly, this isn't really related but it sucks having Vista on a laptop because I can't install any of the programs that I can on our XP desktop. The Vista installation CD was not provided--it was pre-installed (Toshiba). Does anyone know whether you can write to relevant peoples and ask for one? I'm thinking of reverting back to XP, actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)