• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Windows Vista doesn't load WebCT Vista (1 Viewer)

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Politik how long is your signature. Also come to Revue scripts on Wed.

Dwight

HSC
politik said:
I emailed IT Services to no avail - all I got was a proforma 'please tell us your os, subjects, etc, etc' email. God they're shit. You all need to send emails so they get off their incompetent arses.
Funnily enough, I now have to report that it has also stopped functioning on my OS. Did you guys experience some time between installation and when Vista, both of them, fucked up? I am certain that I didn't change any settings but also have no idea what's causing this problem. I used a proxy just like Dumsum, however, couldn't get past the page where you enter your username and password because it was so damn slow. On the same night, I somehow managed to get it working again (something to do with switching between proxies and browsers) until I restarted the computer. I've resorted to dual booting XP and Vista, which works fine, but is not ideal

On a side note my brother has just purchased another desktop that came preinstalled with Vista Home Premium, so far eLearning works fine, but we shall see in a few days time...

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
LottoX said:
Nah, Firefox is pretty awesome, haven't tried opera though... I can't imagine anything better than firefox, really. Unless it used like no CPU whatsoever.
Or if it didn't use a gig of memory when left to its own devices for a few hours.

EDIT: Serves you all right for paying hundreds of dollars to beta test new software.

gman03

HSC
I can now access WebCT Vista with FF2 on a Vista computer!!!

http://robgarrett.com/cs/blogs/software/archive/2006/12/31/vista-firefox-2-slow-network.aspx

In short:

The synopsis is that their appears to be a problem with Vista being too smart for it's own good, with the addition of the Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level setting in the TCP/IP stack. Disabling this setting fixed the timeout problem in FF2 and Windows Live Writer on my machine.

Make sure you're running as an Administrator (can open a command window as Administrator) and execute the following command at the prompt:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)