Will u get marks off for not writing about sept 11 in that poem? (1 Viewer)

The_Adonis

HSC
Ok, as soon as I saw it I thought September 11...
Personally, i feel it is obvious..
firstly.. it is observations of the year 2001...
and then it talks of war..
no war occured... it was peaceful until the "sudden" change of Sept 11 and we cannot take peace for granted..
the "sleep alone" is referring to the loss of loved ones...
the technique i figured is that the composer cleverly familiarises the responder with a well known topic that touched on everyone's emotions. Therefore pretty much having a deeper impact in representing change...
also i wasn't too sure coz none of my mates believed me and i felt like a dumbass, i checked the poet on the net and he has lived in new york previously...

Last edited:

eeyore

i thought about sept 11, but didn't end up mentioning it coz there's wasn't a specific thing that suggested it

kokeshi

HSC
N/A
I didn't make the connection, either. I interpreted the poem differently. I went off on a tangent to talk about technology being intrinsic in our daily lives to the point that the small (but precious) things in life are often overlooked or aren't appreciated to the same degree as they might've been. Now that I've read The_Adonis's response, things are so much clearer..!

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
the quick meter and short and sharp syntax also suggest changes...and the binary pairs such as *love* and *lie* and *war* and *peace* dramatises the changes..... adds a sense of urgency, extremity and significance to the changes...

Last edited:

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
LINDA! LOL YOU 4U ENGLISH PERSON!!!

bloody hell, after readng through all of those, it seems OBVIOUS that it was about sept11...... *bangs head against wall*

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by bubz :D
LINDA! LOL YOU 4U ENGLISH PERSON!!!

bloody hell, after readng through all of those, it seems OBVIOUS that it was about sept11...... *bangs head against wall*
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
ahahahah ...bubz i am sure many pplz didnt mention it..... pluz its not even required......:p
i figured as soon as i walked out the door...

i'm just gonna blame my mum for not giving me a better brain like Linda's...
:p

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
Linda........how did u have such a quick thinking mind.......?
I was like panicking.............Who's Linda n e way? Theres no Linda here......

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
haha i know u want my booty *...* ahhaha i am linda ...aka tib....
Originally posted by ...
i'm Linda
oh..what a coincidence..my name is Linda too!

edit:
its 1..parents in bed
only me and jeo on msn...

nothing to do...

my life is over

anastabation

I talked about the repetition of "how" I said it created imagery, said it had a sincere tone, that it had good rythum and said something about the stanzas. I then went on to say that the poem examplifies how change can have a significant impact on life in many complex ways, and that nothing can be taken for granted.

anastabation

Hope i was right.....wasn't really sure about the imagery thing, but i felt as if images were being created in my mind so i mentioned it.

Left-ism

HSC
it did say observations of 2001.
but the question didnt even ask that.....so who cares

hbk_ace

your all F**k Liars
it was more refering to the war on terrorism and in afghanistan wasnt it

Catey

The poem in my opinion was about the thing that cause change and to what extent these things have in influences change in a persons life.

You could talk about the use of the repetitive question HOW? and the fact that the poet never actually answers the questions that he askes because it is his intention to envoke thought in the responder about how significant these thing are in influencing the INDIVIDUALS change. You could also talk about how the poem appeared to be progressive it started off with the simple things such as the ladder and the bucket and there influence and then as the poem progressed moved onto things less tanigble such as love peace and what significance these have on world change etc .

You could also talk about the symbolism of the objects such as the ladder which you can climb... etc

I don't know whether any of that is right but that is how I approached the question ... it took me a good 3 mins to come up with it through

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)