Will this pull my uai down? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i am doing good in all my subjects but english standard seems to be the worst ranking out of them all. will this affect my uai badly?

SH33P

k lol...
HSC
michelle.leung2 said:
i am doing good in all my subjects but english standard seems to be the worst ranking out of them all. will this affect my uai badly?
umm with those ranks ur looking at UAI of 95 not 85-90 (forgot to look at what subjects u actually do... harder subjects scale higher so keep that in mind)

UAI is based on rank NOT mark... so the better u rank at school can be dragged across to measure how well u perform against all the other students in NSW (assuming its an average ranked school). 12th in english isnt a low rank but its a lower scaling subject (compared to advanced)... just relax and do ur best... (english is over so dw)

16.5% (i think) of the state get 90+ UAI... it looks like ur in the category SO STOP WORRYING! ITS NOT THE BE ALL AND END ALL!

HSC
oh really sweeettt asss..

hmmm yeh but on the otherhand, its the mark that matters for the HSC which is 50% of the UAI.

ill be laughing if i do get 95, which probs likely not!
but thanx for telling me, it leaves me with more confidence now haha weeee.

yeh my subjects are pretty high i reckon, business 3 unit maths legal and blahh. so yehh.

Kiim2507

HSC
SH33P said:
umm with those ranks ur looking at UAI of 95 not 85-90 (forgot to look at what subjects u actually do... harder subjects scale higher so keep that in mind)

UAI is based on rank NOT mark... so the better u rank at school can be dragged across to measure how well u perform against all the other students in NSW (assuming its an average ranked school). 12th in english isnt a low rank but its a lower scaling subject (compared to advanced)... just relax and do ur best... (english is over so dw)

16.5% (i think) of the state get 90+ UAI... it looks like ur in the category SO STOP WORRYING! ITS NOT THE BE ALL AND END ALL!
off topic
but
SH33P your visual arts video is amazing

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
SH33P said:
They scale exactly the same.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
"The English Standard and Advanced dilemma

Deciding whether to take Standard or Advanced English is one of the hardest decision to make.

*English Standard AND Advanced are scaled in the exact same way. When someone says "Don't do standard because it has very poor scaling", it is ENTIRELY wrong.

If 2 identical RAW marks in Standard English and Advanced English will scale to the same scaled mark.

Standard and Advanced English are scaled as one course despite what others say.

But now you will ask "Why is it on the list of scaled means, Advanced and Standard english are different when you said they are scaled the same?"

The answer to this is simple. They are reported separately. i.e. They combine the candidature of English Standard and Advanced and scale it as a single subject, they are then separated and the scaled mean is determined and reported. It just so happens the scaled mean of Standard is typically lower than Advanced. This doesn't mean it scaled any better or worse than Advanced."
there, read that.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
so why are there so many more band 6s in adv than standard? not being hostile, i'd like to know. my school usually gets 4-5 band6s in advanced and 1-2 low-mid band5s in standard, and this is the case for many schools i know. why?

maybe they're both 'scaled' the same... but noone really knows what the fuck goes on with all that. there has to be something

anyway, op, there's nothing you can do so just wait till dec and you'll see. :)

HSC
If Standard and Advanced English are scaled as a single group, why does
the same HSC mark give different scaled marks in Standard English and
Advanced English?
This issue has been raised since 2001. Since it is likely to be raised again, the explanation will be repeated.
HSC marks and scaled marks are different marks. HSC marks are the marks released by the Board to students
and are the result of the standards-setting exercise. Scaled marks are, however, based on raw HSC marks.
 In 2 unit English all students complete a common paper (Paper 1) which counts for 40% of the total
mark. Standard and Advanced students then complete separate papers that count for 60% of the
total mark.
 The Board then uses Paper 1 to place the marks of the separate Standard and Advanced papers on the
same scale so that a total (raw) examination mark can be calculated for 2 unit English. The marks for
Standard and Advanced students are deemed to be on the same scale.
 The Board moderates school assessments using these raw examination marks.
 The raw HSC mark which is used for scaling is then calculated.
 The raw HSC marks for the Standard and Advanced English students are combined, and scaled as a
single course. A raw HSC mark yields the same scaled mark for Standard and Advanced students.
The Board aligns the raw examination marks against standards separately for Standard and Advanced
students. As a result, Advanced students on a given raw mark receive a higher aligned mark than
Standard students on the same raw mark. Consequently an aligned HSC mark corresponds to
different scaled marks for Standard and Advanced students. This gives the appearance that Advanced
students have been disadvantaged, but this is not true.
What Rhanoct said, nothin you can do about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)