Will they go easy on us because we're the first discovery cohort? (1 Viewer)

nancylime

HSC
Do you think they will make the exam easier because there are no past HSC exams that we can do and the teachers are new to it as well?
Do you think the questions will be nice and generic?

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
If everyone does not so good as last year, the b6 cutoff will be lower so it's no point in making an easier exam.

AntarcticMonkeys

HSC
My English teacher mentions that for section II they could ask for a feature article if they wanted to (???lol), do you reckon they'll be that evil?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
On the other hand, we're also disadvantaged because we don't have any exemplar responses of what they consider to be an example of b6/5/4/3/2/1
not really, because the only thing that has changed is the topic, not how they are marking it or what they are looking for

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Unlikely they'll go easy on us. There's no pressure on them for us to do well, they have another 5 years to write easy papers if they want. The only thing that might indicate a broader than normal exam is that they don't know what the level of knowledge is like amongst students for the new syllabus, which may lead them to test the waters a little with an easier question. A feature article would be interesting for a creative and very well related to discovery but it's a touch harder to show off when writing a feature article because of the dry prose you end up writing. I'd imagine they won't specify a form for the creative, and I'd call one of the regular old syllabus points for the essay.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Unlikely they'll go easy on us. There's no pressure on them for us to do well, they have another 5 years to write easy papers if they want. The only thing that might indicate a broader than normal exam is that they don't know what the level of knowledge is like amongst students for the new syllabus, which may lead them to test the waters a little with an easier question. A feature article would be interesting for a creative and very well related to discovery but it's a touch harder to show off when writing a feature article because of the dry prose you end up writing. I'd imagine they won't specify a form for the creative, and I'd call one of the regular old syllabus points for the essay.
Yeah, I would think they still have to mark like they normally would for an essay - only the essay question will probably be more accessible, imo. And tbh, I doubt a feature article will come up. What do you mean with the bolded tho? Are you saying that they will ask belonging??? cause idk if that makes sense lol

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I would think they still have to mark like they normally would for an essay - only the essay question will probably be more accessible, imo. And tbh, I doubt a feature article will come up. What do you mean with the bolded tho? Are you saying that they will ask belonging??? cause idk if that makes sense lol
Ah yeah I can see that's pretty ambiguous, I meant as in they'll just ask one of the main sentences straight from the rubric rather than trying to come up with an actually interesting question. E.g. "discoveries can be sudden and unexpected. Discuss in relation to your prescribed etc." or "discoveries can offer new perspectives on ourselves and others." rather than something like "Though discoveries can offer up differing and enlightening experiences for a number of individuals, what is important is the renewed perspectives that are gained by those who discover."

teridax

HSC
N/A
Ah yeah I can see that's pretty ambiguous, I meant as in they'll just ask one of the main sentences straight from the rubric rather than trying to come up with an actually interesting question. E.g. "discoveries can be sudden and unexpected. Discuss in relation to your prescribed etc." or "discoveries can offer new perspectives on ourselves and others." rather than something like "Though discoveries can offer up differing and enlightening experiences for a number of individuals, what is important is the renewed perspectives that are gained by those who discover."
Ahaha, I would think BOSTES would still ask discovery essay Q's in this sort of way rofl

happyhunter

HSC
You can definitely go back to the first year of belonging which i think was 09 and check what they did then. That might give you an idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)