Will my maths result KILL my UAI ?! (1 Viewer)

sepul

HSC
Hello,

I know I'll get a very bad result in 2U maths ( 20% ) and I have a copy of the UAI seeker, but according to that if I do well in my other subjects I can still get a decent UAI.

I just find it hard to believe that with such a bad/low 2U maths result I can still get a good UAI - is it still possible ? I'm just worried.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Post ur assessment tasks and ranks up of each of ur subjects and il give u a estimation. Btw, do u do 10 or 12 units?

sepul

HSC
Only 10 - that was my mistake.

Chem - 31/42
2U maths - Very very last out of 66
Bio - 3/49
IT - In the trial I got 75% which came to be 6/28
English ( Standard ) - 23/123

blue_chameleon

HSC
Yeah il still need ur assessment percentage for chemistry, maths, biology and english before i can make an estimation thanx

sepul

HSC
I wouldn't have a clue what my final assessment mark came out to me, I'll estimate tho' ( This is all raw, not scaled )

Chem - 55 - 65%
Maths - 15 - 25 %
English - 60- - 70%
Bio - 80 - 90%

Thanks

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
Well maths and chemistry will pull u down considerably unfortunately, i predict around low to mid 50's. But if u lift ur other subjects u could break the 60's barrier.

sepul

HSC
What! that is pathetic.

Assessment marks mean nothing anyway - they aren't comparable across schools.

Also in the UAI seeker, if I put chem as 70, it scales to 66 - the best of all my courses. If I put IT in as 80 it gets scales down to about the same.

Anyway I plan on getting 60%+ in chem ( raw ), and IT 80+

thanks

blue_chameleon

HSC
What! that is pathetic.
It may not have been what u were expecting although ur maths mark really does pull u down.

Assessment marks mean nothing anyway
Actually, they do.
Firsty, they are used in UAISeeker as the information to "estimate" ur exam marks, although i will state that if people put in the effort, poor assessment marks can be boosted by exam marks.
Secondly, they are used to rank u with the rest of ur class.

I dont recall that i said they were comparable across schools.

Also in the UAI seeker
Do u have UAISeeker? If so, y are u asking people on this forum for an estimation?

sepul

HSC
First, I didn't say you said assessment marks were comparable across schools - I said this as to why they are useless.

And yes in my first post I mentioned I had a copy of UAI seeker, but I just wanted to see if it was accurate.

If I put in Chem: 70 Bio: 86 IT: 82 Maths:20 English (Advanced, long story but I don't have a copy with standard ) :70 it comes out to 72 or so.

As far as I understand it, UAI seeker uses your estimated exam marks, not assessment marks, which then scales them according to how UAC would ( Although UAC uses raw marks, not aligned ).
I have queried Laz on this and he said it is correct.

sepul

HSC
Yes that's what I mean - exam marks ( the assessment marks come from the exam, depending on your rank )

What I am saying is, the school assessment marks are useless in determining the UAI.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by sepul
Yes that's what I mean - exam marks ( the assessment marks come from the exam, depending on your rank )

What I am saying is, the school assessment marks are useless in determining the UAI.
????

school marks are critical in determining ASSESSMENT mark

HSC mark is average of ASSESSMENT mark and EXAM mark

UAIseeker uses HSC marks

sepul

HSC
I know this - you're just not understanding what I'm saying.

I'm saying the mark you get in school assessments is meaningless, it just depends on your rank.

This rank then determines your "School Assessment" mark

For example I could average 50% in a subject and be placed 5/50, now when these 50 people sit the exam, I will be allocated the 5th highest exam mark as my "Assessment Mark", which may be 80%. Then this is averaged with your own exam mark to determine your final HSC result ( you know this part ).

Anyway what do you think I'll get ?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
UAIseeker is very good, you should trust it

no, rank and mark is important in calculating assessment mark

but i kind of get what you mean

sepul

HSC
I don't think you fully understand what I mean...

Rank DETERMINES what your "HSC assessment mark" will be. In class school assessment marks mean NOTHING in terms of your final HSC result, only rank ( As I have explained above )

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by sepul
I don't think you fully understand what I mean...

Rank DETERMINES what your "HSC assessment mark" will be. In class school assessment marks mean NOTHING in terms of your final HSC result, only rank ( As I have explained above )

lol, your wrong!!!

the difference bettwen the school assessment marks and the total of the school assessment marks are used to calculate the HSC assessment mark.

i'm sure there is a document explaining how this works somewhere. you should read it.

ie.

person/school assessment mark/
A 90
B 70
C 60

will result in different HSC assessment marks to

A 90
B 40
C 20

even if they get same HSC exam mark

My estimate would be similar to UAIseeker's, it is worth every dollar!

krissy7685

sepul i think ur wrong...

i think u need to go back to school and ask them how they calculate it.,.
how could u possibly get 20% for maths... unless u didnt do any assessments the whole year around.. and if u knew maths was weak/... 20% isnt even a pass for the HSC.. 50% makes u eligible for maths,... WHY did u only do 10 unit.. you should of kept another subject or dropped maths.. but thats too late now..

but ur assessment and rank is important in determining ur FINAL assessment mark... then that final assessment mark and ur hsc mark are combined...

so say u get 60 as ur final assessment mark and 65 for ur hsc mark... ur final mark should be either 62 or 63

and dont pick on jim... he seems to know more about what hes talking about then u do

and ur school assessment mark do mean something in determining ur final mark

im doing pathways i did the hsc last year i have the blue paper with the board of studies symbol thing on it.. and the assessment mark the school sent in is EXACTLY the same on the blue piece of paper its on

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Quote from that link you posted:

"The marks you get in assessment tasks at school do not count towards your HSC marks in any way. The assessment tasks are just used to rank students and show the relative difference between them so the Board of Studies can 'moderate' the assessment marks sent in by all school. It's necessary to do this because marks cannot be compared across schools since schools have assessment tasks of differing difficulty and nature, different marking criterias, as well as students of differing quality. "

Note the words "relative difference", these is where the marks come into play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)