• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Will Australia ever have an Aboriginal Prime Minister (1 Viewer)

Will Australia ever see an Aboriginal Prime Minister

• Yes

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 72.1%

• Total voters

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Also, their genes are being diluted so much they are virtually being eliminated as a distinctive race.

There is a good chance there will be a PM that is vaguely part aboriginal (there may have been already).

But in the sense that Barack Obama is black, i.e. they look aboriginal and have significant aboriginal heritage, the chances seem pretty slim.
This is exactly why I voted no.

We only have like 50,000 abzies in Australia, and most of them have a fair chunk of white in them.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
try more like 500,000

i'm absolutely astounded by the racism in this thread

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Will Shakespear said:
try more like 500,000

i'm absolutely astounded by the racism in this thread
Sue me, I missed a 0.

Can you actually fault Zimmerman's reasoning or are you just astounded?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Will Shakespear said:
what reasoning?

"the chances seem pretty slim"

yay baseless assertions
There's nothing wrong with that answer. What do you want, touchy feely garbage?

"Of course! We will DEFINITELY see an indigenous prime minister in the next 50 years!". Bullshit.

The question isn't "Would you support an aboriginal prime minister?", it's "Do you think we'll ever have an aboriginal prime minister?"

The answers to that are immensely varied, and a 'no' could simply come down to somebody personally supporting one, but not thinking others would. Now, that is fairly fallacious reasoning, see Obama, but it's got nothing what so fucking ever to do with racism on that person's behalf, consider it's exactly the reason blacks didn't support Obama in the primaries).

layzeehbum

HSC
im not into politics but look at the reality and see if there's any Aboriginals minister atm... as far as I know, there's none...
maybe there will be one but definitely not in near future...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
reh said:
do u think that religion is a large influence on voting in australia? personally, no
although the constitution is clearly founded on christian values, it is a secular state.
Whereas the same conclusion can be drawn for the USA, it is intrisically christian.
I think in Australia, values more closely aligned with being 'an aussie', are more important than religious preference.
The Constitution is founded on Christian values? Tell me, would I be able to find these values in the Parliamentary, Executive or Judicial sections? I just skimmed through the States section but I don't think that the Bible was particularly concerned with federalism.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm sure you could make some case that, for instance, the doctrine of separation of powers was influenced by the Christian notion of man's fallen nature/tendancy to evil.

Erm.
White Australia policy was important in getting the states to come together - Parkes called it the Crimson Thread that binds etc. I suppose that inherent in that was the view that orientals werent Christian

Uh,
Our head of State is also head of the Anglican church/ruling by divine will etc -members of both houses required to affirm allegiance to Her (I do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty, Her heirs and successors according to law. So help me God)

Lords prayer read before parliament sits

???

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
I shall rephrase... where i say 'founded on christian values'....replace with 'influenced by Christian values'
i was alluding to the idea that the society from which australia originated was largely christian.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
i'm trying to help you

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
reh said:
Given the imminent potential success of the first African-American Presidential Candidate, lets turn our eyes to our own shores. Is it possible/reasonable to assume an Aboriginal will have success in a Federal Election in the future?

Yes or No,

Why?

If Yes, what would be a reasonable time frame
You think the equivalent for us is aboriginal? because they're black or???

I would've thought Asian (despite how little they've assimilated).

Still painfully unlikely though.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Yeah man I'd vote for an Aboriginal... NOT. They're all hell stupid alcoholics (not 2 generalise or anything).

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
ha thank-you
but he's right in the sense that it is not 'founded on'... which refers to the constitution being strictly aligned to christianity.
It is clear that the christian allusions plague parliament and the constitution as well as general society (ie. it is a christian minister to prays at the dawn service on anzac day every year), and so in that sense, the constitution was 'influenced by' christian values.

Mind you i'm wondering if the colonists had ever heard of Islam or Judaeism or any religion to the contrary, and whether christianity would merely have been the status quo and it would be illogical not to refer to it.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
jb_nc said:
Yeah man I'd vote for an Aboriginal... NOT. They're all hell stupid alcoholics (not 2 generalise or anything).
It's called having a race that relies heavily on drinking alcohol.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
layzeehbum said:
im not into politics but look at the reality and see if there's any Aboriginals minister atm... as far as I know, there's none...
maybe there will be one but definitely not in near future...
Haven't the Greens and Family First had aboriginal ministers?

impervious182

HSC
reh said:
It is clear that the christian allusions plague parliament and the constitution as well as general society (ie. it is a christian minister to prays at the dawn service on anzac day every year), and so in that sense, the constitution was 'influenced by' christian values.
'Plague parliament and the constitution' or are integrated components of them? I certainly think that the values on which they are based are Christian and were created in a Christian framework, our current empathy and acceptance of different religions, I think arises from Christianity, yet now we have the choice to reject them. These values have, if you will, transcended the religion, and so now it's easy for atheists to be moral and criticise religion. In the past though, Godlessness didn't just mean without a God, it meant without morals, selfish, greedy.

The idea of the Good Samaritan for example can be seen in many of our values of forgiveness, helping a mate; and I'm told that's what Australia was founded on.

And as to an Aboriginal PM, I don't think so. I would certainly vote for one if they promoted policies that I liked, but any more Native Land Title Acts and the likes and they would lose my support very very quickly. I think lots of Australian's would question how detached an Aboriginal politician could be from these policies. It would depend on this person's ability to represent the majority, not the minority of Aboriginal people which would be very difficult.

I suggest that if there were an Aboriginal PM, that unless he/she could show they were Christian, supported democracy, society, not radical etc. that they could be elected. There would be a degree of racism to overcome... but then there are the idiots who would vote for him/her for the simple fact that he/she is Aboriginal to try and prove that they're not discriminatory. They don't see the hypocrisy of this... but yeah.

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
alexdore993 said:
'Plague parliament and the constitution' or are integrated components of them?
Hmm, nope. Definitely plague.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)