Wilfred Owen (1 Viewer)

joeyjeremy

HSC
I chose Hmm the Last Laugh and did the speech format to a HSC study group!!
Sooo yeah you had to link the ways that Owen used his language techniques and show wat your understandings! But off cause u had to do it in a speech format! That is good for teh audience whichis teenagers HSC sitters like ourselves soo you can include a cool joke or some rhtoerical questions to keep them motivated :p

Anywayns thats my view :p hehe I wrote 1 booklet

Thanks GoodLuck ALL!!

deano305

HSC
anna_v said:
Section II - Module B: Close Study of Text - Question 6: Poetry (20marks)

Identify ONE poem from your prescribed collection of poetry.

Analyse the ways in which this poem reflects both the ideas and characteristics of your prescribed collection of poetry as a whole.

Present your analysis in ONE of the following forms:
(a) a speech at an HSC Study Day
OR
(b) a contribution to an online HSC Resources site.

The prescribed texts are:
~DEB WESTBURY, Mouth to Mouth
+The Scribe's Daughter
+The Prince
+Shells
+Coffee and Rain
+The Persistence of Memory
+Mouth to Mouth
+Dapto Dressing Up

~ WILFRED OWEN, War Poems and Others
+The Send-Off
+Anthem For Doomed Youth
+Dulce Et Decorum Est
+The Next War
+The Last War
+Futility.

I interpreted this question as analysing the way that the ONE poem carries the ideas and characteristics his poetry as a whole.
I filled the book with small writing. I referred to all poems, whilst analysing "Dulce Et Decorum Est", linking the similarities in his use of poetic techniques and tone etc. I also commented to the ideas and characteristics that are identifiable in Owens poems.

The question doesn't say all six - it says ONE - so if you referred to one in depth and answered what they asked you then you have met the requirements. You only needed to demonstrate understanding of the text's distinctive qualities and how they shape meaning.

I hope you wrote more that ONE paragraph though.
I agree with you. If they wanted you to use all six poem's it'd make that alot clearer and wouldn't try hoodwinking anyone in anyway. I did Anthem for Doomed Youth, and talked about the purpose of Owen's poems. Wrote about 5 pages from memory. But thank god never have to do bloody english again, EVER! Can't wait till 4.30 Monday! Good riddence to maths!

Shael

HSC
Ah crap. I took it as being just ONE poem and that is it, so I only wrote 2 pages on 'Dulce Et Decorum Est'. I thought something was fishy about that question but the way it was worded made me just talk about one. :/

So I get 5.5 pages for Section 1 and 3.. and only 2 pages for Section 2... Grrr.

HSC
i talked to a few teachers that day, asked htem about the question and they ALL told me you wouldn't get a pass mark for that if you only analysed one poem

Surely you can say for example "Owen undermines the ficticious image of masculine soldiers with the simile "Like old hags"... personficiations of the guns in The Last Laugh shows the callousness of war degrading these soldiers" - integrating them like that is also fine I imagine

pear head

HSC
its no wonder..my first reaction was like what the hell? why only one poem?....man me and my friends were fully stressing about studying all the poems just incase they specify a poem like what happened in the trials that stuffed everybody up....and as soon as i got into the exam room...i completely FORGOT EVERYTHING i studied about owen so yeah i stuffed up from writing only one page....thats smart to all u people who linked with the other poems...but to the board of studies..shame on you to trick us like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn198718

fuck wilfred owen and his shit poems did 4 pages for this section but only used one poem and sort of linked them to the rest of them. I HATE ENGLISH TOO

HSC
I talked about Anthem For Doomed Youth and related particular aspects of that poem that were similar to others, such as the alliteration in the Send Off of the "sliding shed" and the question "What passing bells for these who die as cattle?" and how both of these poems showed how the men were treated like animals.

Pidgeon_Pete

HSC
Yeh i did Anthem for Doomed Youth and wrote 8 pages. I was nervous as hell going in because i thought i was going to get smashed by Owen, but i came out the other end pretty good i think... i hope anyway.

jessica818

HSC
Greaaaat

Great..after reading what everyone else has written i think i may of misread the question..i just took it as like analysing ONE peom and talked about all of owens poems as a whole..like his ideas and concepts his collection as a whole talk about.. i didnt talk about the other peoms and the techniques they used or anything. i just gave mention to their main ideas..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)