Wilfred Owen (1 Viewer)

HSC
Fuck I hate poems, and I hate studying Wilfred Owen.

I wrote a paragraph for this section. How did everyone else go?

HSC
I wrote 6 pages, it was fucking easy! very iffy question though, i almost thought you'd have ot do 1 poem but I did all 6
i linked them all with techniques/tones, did example etc..., I told my teacher she reckons I prob got 18+ if i linked them :D

HSC
Casmira said:
I wrote 6 pages, it was fucking easy! very iffy question though, i almost thought you'd have ot do 1 poem but I did all 6
i linked them all with techniques/tones, did example etc..., I told my teacher she reckons I prob got 18+ if i linked them :D
You did have to use the entire collection of poems for full marks. The way they wanted it answered was that you use ONE poem as the backbone of your piece of writing and link it with the other poems.

If someone just used ONE poem and none of the the others, then they will get very low marks.

It was a pure intertextuality question, thats how I interpret it.

We didn't learn all the poems because my stupid teacher didn't even give us all of them. She assumed all year that we would only need to know two poems by heart. So she gave us 4 poems and that was it. We focused on two poems in class.

This is what happens when you have a teacher that has only 5 years teaching experience.

P.S. Shes only done HSC marking once and thinks shes an expert. WHATEVER.

Last edited:
HSC
koopatrooper said:
you cant be serious can you? we had to use all the poems???? God... there goes any chance i had of good marks.
If I remember the question correctly then yes, you had to use the entire collection, not just one or two poems.

When I saw the question, my first reaction was FUCK..... And then I wrote a sentence and then went onto Section III :D and then I went back at the end of the exam to finish off the paragraph.

I think the HSC marker will be really impressed.

koopatrooper

HSC
shit!!!!!!!

you cant be serious can you? we had to use all the poems???? God... there goes any chance i had of good marks.

HSC
koopatrooper said:
shit.... *runs away and cries*
Shit I only wrote one paragraph, I couldn't be bothered wasting time for 5 marks with knowledge of just two poems indepth. So I moved onto the next section.

It was a question to test your intertextuality abilities. I think a lot of teachers will stop trying to assume what the HSC will ask.

A student in my class asked my teacher specifically (in the last few weeks of classes) whether they (Board of Studies) could put a question in the exam asking for specific poems or all poems. She said: "its so unlikely its not even worth thinking about".

WHATEVER MISS.

damo676767

HSC
they didnt ask for all the poems, just to relate it to his themes

i used
the next war
wrote the entire poem
related it too all of the other poems
and related it to sigfried sassons a letter home (which is where the epigramis from)

anna_v

HSC
Section II - Module B: Close Study of Text - Question 6: Poetry (20marks)

Identify ONE poem from your prescribed collection of poetry.

Analyse the ways in which this poem reflects both the ideas and characteristics of your prescribed collection of poetry as a whole.

Present your analysis in ONE of the following forms:
(a) a speech at an HSC Study Day
OR
(b) a contribution to an online HSC Resources site.

The prescribed texts are:
~DEB WESTBURY, Mouth to Mouth
+The Scribe's Daughter
+The Prince
+Shells
+Coffee and Rain
+The Persistence of Memory
+Mouth to Mouth
+Dapto Dressing Up

~ WILFRED OWEN, War Poems and Others
+The Send-Off
+Anthem For Doomed Youth
+Dulce Et Decorum Est
+The Next War
+The Last War
+Futility.

I interpreted this question as analysing the way that the ONE poem carries the ideas and characteristics his poetry as a whole.
I filled the book with small writing. I referred to all poems, whilst analysing "Dulce Et Decorum Est", linking the similarities in his use of poetic techniques and tone etc. I also commented to the ideas and characteristics that are identifiable in Owens poems.

The question doesn't say all six - it says ONE - so if you referred to one in depth and answered what they asked you then you have met the requirements. You only needed to demonstrate understanding of the text's distinctive qualities and how they shape meaning.

I hope you wrote more that ONE paragraph though.

dunny22

HSC
were we ment to refer to the other poems at all coz it said "your prescribed collection of poetry as a whole" and i interpruted that as meaning to talk generally....was i wrong with what i did?

Condog

HSC
i do westbury but i didnt mention all of her poems, i focused on the prince and related the constant themes she displays throughout her texts and how they are exemplified in the prince, i told my teacher this and she said that this is answering the question but it is not as good as answering the way u all did it

grimbeny

HSC
Well i only wrote about 1 poem, im a little pissed off cos i think this section is going to drop my overall mark. i wish we had the question they had last year!!!

Necros87

meh
HSC
N/A
halfa page, twice as much as i wrote on the trials, hopeing for twice the mark :)
dont like this module

Kean

HSC
You only had to do ONE poem and link it to the TOPIC (war poems whatever you do).

It only asked for ONE poem, you didnt have to do all of them. However I chose to do The Send-Off and Anthem for Doomed Youth.

HSC
my teacher told me you had to do all 6 for decent marks, unless you analysed Dulce very thoroughly you'd get probably half the marks

my teacher really knows her shit well for poetry, she doesnt communicate it well because my english class has (should say had, no more english classes for me) a bunch of dumbshits in the back row pissing her off so she never came into the class calm
alot of english teachers are hsc markers, its the most popular exam hence they need as many teachers as possible

imo if you went a few paragraphs in ALL the poems, and then concluded it well (ie. tone of each poem) you'd probably hit the nail on the head, however doing a few poems but analysing them deeply you'd prob. get the marks as well, it says your prescribed poems (note; plural) as a WHOLE, you could of done 2 and say yep Last laugh/send off's main personification blah blah ...

datacore

HSC
for high marks did you need to include linking quotes from all of the 6 poems
or would just stating that they are similar (no evidence) be good enough

HSC
linking them would be easy though

personification; send off / last laugh / the next war / futility
ironic title: dulce / anthem

Kean

HSC
Casmira said:
my teacher told me you had to do all 6 for decent marks, unless you analysed Dulce very thoroughly you'd get probably half the marks

my teacher really knows her shit well for poetry, she doesnt communicate it well because my english class has (should say had, no more english classes for me) a bunch of dumbshits in the back row pissing her off so she never came into the class calm
alot of english teachers are hsc markers, its the most popular exam hence they need as many teachers as possible

imo if you went a few paragraphs in ALL the poems, and then concluded it well (ie. tone of each poem) you'd probably hit the nail on the head, however doing a few poems but analysing them deeply you'd prob. get the marks as well, it says your prescribed poems (note; plural) as a WHOLE, you could of done 2 and say yep Last laugh/send off's main personification blah blah ...
Actually it only asked for ONE poem. We had a list of poems to choose from though.

chidori69

yeah! im perverted!
HSC
anyway i did owens poems.. i enjoyed it...
and the option i did was the
a contribution to an online HSC Resources site.
haha i had hyperlinks.. >_< so ppl could click to view the poem...

HSC
Kean said:
Actually it only asked for ONE poem. We had a list of poems to choose from though.
Identify ONE poem from your prescribed collection of poetry.

Analyse ways in which this poem reflects both the ideas and characteristics of your prescribed collection of poetry as a whole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)