• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Wii (2 Viewers)

Benal

HSC
Has anyone seen the entire press conference yet? It's impressive to say the least. Compared to the lacklustre presentations of Sony and Microsoft it was superb, it got my brother wanting one, even with the silly name.
It's nice to see they're not using it as the focal point for their games either (unlike connectivity). SSBB will be compatible with the GCN controller for gameplay which is encouraging. SSBB (Super Smash Bros Brawl) has just been unveiled. It looks great, and suprisingly Solid Snake is featuring in the game. They have also implied that there might be further third-party characters in the game. Sonic anyone? That would be great, in both a gameplay and financial sense.
Mario also looks great, but I'll need to see more of it. The footage so far hasn't been flattering (just video footage of a demo pod), but it looks like a worth sequel to SM64, definitely one to keep your eyes on.
The Nintendo offerings are also much more mature than before, rather than simplistic looking titles we have games like Excite Truck, Disaster, and Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
It has been confirmed now that it will have Mario, Zelda and Metroid all at launch. It's definitely one to keep an eye out for.

Also, anyone read the article on the Wii in Time, I read it today. It was very complimentary.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Don't forget the Yakuza themed Red Steel, complete with swinging swords ;)

phatinc

HSC
Hmmm, you guys all thought that 'Wii' was kinda a crap name eh?

Personally I thought it's an awesome name, and i like the change, i mean this is just another point that proves nintendo's wacko ideas work and personally i don't mind, i mean wii, what's so bad about 'wii'?

But one of the main factors contributing to the reason why I would want to get this console would be the controller, cause it's just so cool, i mean you can use it as a light gun! 'n that's been my dream for a long time. The fact that you can use it as a sword, a steering wheel, tennis racket, gold club and many more just makes it more worthwhile.

The games coming out so far that i know all seem pretty innovative...except for project h.a.m.m.e.r. i mean you swing a hammer around....errr....right...and also the Wii sports, i seriously think the tennis looks pretty lame because i really wanted it to be the real point system not the 3 point system.

Also I believe that Red Steel would have a weird if not crap/disappointing storyline....well i just feel that way, i can't really explain it, because from all that i have seen from the trailers, it doesn't seem that cool.

Besides that, SSBB, Twilight princess, Meteroid and Excite truck (although the graphics looks lame, i think the concept would be really fun) all look really really fun. (search youtube, great videos)

Can't wait.

Also i heard that you can preorder it now from Toys r us (place $50 down) and get a free game on launch. So that got me thinking, I mean how much would it really cost when the wii comes to australia. The gamecube was like Au$500 when it came out in australia, while it costed about US$250 in the US. So in the end would it really be worth preordering?

kouri

well w t f
HSC
Nolanistic said:
Oh my God I just pre-ordered it from Toys R Us, I cannot waittttt!

It's going to cost $399.00 at Launch and it comes out on the 27/11/06 according to some data I blagged at Toys R Us (Read: Blatantly stole)
what? you can pre-order it already? O_O
and .. hang on

399?
Whaaaaaat?
meh, thought it would've been cheaper.

anwyays... i agree with phatinc :)
I thought the name sucked at first.. "Wii? oh ho hohahaha. Arh nintendo you lameasss"
But oh how wrong i was. T_T
it's a wicked name in all levels. :)

and I did watch the press conference, i think.. 90% of it at work. *cough*
same with sony.
The PS3 made me drool all over with all the games it presented, particularly mgs4 and ffxiii. some of the other games were pretttyyy impressivee O_O Assassins Creed etc.

The Wii just made me flip with laughter.. " OM FG need to.. get.. the Wii"

Started the microsoft one... but that.. was.. just boring. So I didn't bother with it.

But the nintendo press conference and its console was pretty impressive :)
Innovation *thumbs up*

I'll probably go and get one myself after testing it out :)
Never been a nintendo fan ^^; This would be first.

BradCube

HSC
Nolanistic said:
Oh my God I just pre-ordered it from Toys R Us, I cannot waittttt!

It's going to cost $399.00 at Launch and it comes out on the 27/11/06 according to some data I blagged at Toys R Us (Read: Blatantly stole)
$399! Man I think you got ripped off, Nintendo has said that they won't be pricing it above $250 US. That means at least less then $350.

Personally I think Nintendo might even be going to try for the $200 US mark which would put an Australian release at a bit less then $300

Was that $399 price including a free game? If it was that's ok, lol

BradCube

HSC
Riviet said:
Wow. End of November. After HSC. Woot! :D
Yeah if Toys 'r us have the correct release date. I'm sure hoping that it is released after my HSC too. I want to go to a midnight launch :)

BradCube

HSC
Nolanistic said:
Import Tax.
GST
Usual "Australia Tax" from Nintendo

It sounds about right to me. I've no qualms about it, it'll probably be cheaper though. Keep in mind this was a prelim thing that I blagged off people, but I know that release date is completely accurate.
Yeah you could be right about that, although Nintendo hasn't seemed to be too far off the mark to me recently. Maybe I'm just hoping for a lower price ;)

How are you sure that the date is confirmed? This is the first place I have seen a real date anywhere yet.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Yeah but with the Toys R' Us deal you get the free game if you put down $50 on it now. Probably where I'll preorder mine as well, but I'm gonna be buying more games at launch if all those launch game rumours are true.

BradCube

HSC
bazookajoe said:
Yeah but with the Toys R' Us deal you get the free game if you put down $50 on it now. Probably where I'll preorder mine as well, but I'm gonna be buying more games at launch if all those launch game rumours are true.
Ahh ok, that's cool then. hmm maybe I should lay down a pre-order. I think I want to go to a midnight launch though and I doubt Toys R' Us would be doing such a thing. sighh

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
June 22, 2006 - According to the latest issue of Nintendo Power, the following titles will be available alongside the Wii's launch later this year: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, Red Steel, and Rayman Raving Rabbits.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/714/714008p1.html

Sweet, getting Zelda and Metroid on launch for sure. More titles are expected to be added.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Damn fine lineup, that's for sure. With Mario Galaxy and SSB Brawl not too far behind. Definitely the console to watch out of the three

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
That'd be fantastic. Definitely going for the extra controllers, I may buy Wii Sports depending on other launch titles and if I have some extra money left

watkinzez

HSC
Riviet said:
Wow. End of November. After HSC. Woot! :D
Exactly. Rayman, Zelda and Metroid- nice reward, no?

what971 said:
lol k

nah.. it's just that I really only play games for the story, THAT IS ONLY FINAL FANTASY

eg. 'shooters' - i don't understand, so you kill/blow up a bunch of animated characters on the screen, where is the fun??

That said, this is just my opinion. :)
I find it amusing that you think Final Fantasy is the be all and end all of storytelling in games.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm purchasing this for my little brother for Christmas. I'm stoked that a game will come pre-packaged.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
We'll probably see pre-order packages soon I hope

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)