Why's Ext.2 difficult? (1 Viewer)

OzE Hindu

Why do people feel that ext2 is sposed to be hard? So far, I've felt that it's actually fairly easy. But that might be because I already have a good idea as to what my topic will be and how I will actually approach creating the major work. From what I've seen, the teachers say that timing is one of the big problems. I think doing a major work over a period of 1 year is actually really easy. anywayz, i think im forgetting something important and that its going to screw me over while doing ext2. so pls tell what u find/found easy/difficult in the course.

Jinglebell

HSC
ok, one reason why it is hard is because you have to find time to do it in between your other assessments. unless you're EXTREMELY disciplined, you're going to end up not looking at, let alone working on, your major for weeks on end during half yearlies, trials, and other heavy times. since it generally the last thing you have due, it often ends up as a low priority when you have craploads of other stuff to do.

also, just because you thik you know what you're doing now, doesn't mean it'll stay that way. theres a high likelihood that your idea will evolve or change completely between now and the due date, often meaning that at least half the research/work you've done will become completely useless to you.

another thing is that you have nearly a year to do this, so it's gotta be done well. it's one thing to bodge through an assignment you've had for two weeks, but your major is a big thing, and there's really not an excuse for it not to be great. and once you become attached to your work, editing can become really hard. even harder is when you just can't get into 'the zone' for writing - i know i found that for a while i could only work on my major after 11pm, it was the only time it would "write itself" if you get my drift (and i did a critical response, i imagine those doing poetry etc may have had it worse).

and no matter how well prepared you are, the final few days, especially the weekend before the due date, are going to be stressful. there will be panic attacks, just check the posts around here from that weekend (sparkly wig anyone?). and then you live in fear of finding a typo i your beautifully bound work - i still haven't read mine for fear of just that, especially since i've been told there's 2 little mistakes in it.

so overall, ext 2 isn't as easy as you might think, but that doesn't make it not worthwhile...i guess you get out what you put in, or another cliche to that effect:)

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Woah... loooong post. My thoughts? I didn't think it was that hard either, I had no problems writing it, and the problems I DID encounter along the way were easily overcome. Obviously it's not the same for everyone.

Some of the more common problems with people in my course:
1. Boredom with their idea.
2. Major changes to the idea.
3. Time management.
4. Coming up with a title.
5. Doing the Reflection Statement and keeping under the word limit.

What I found easy? Writing it, coming up with a title, time management.

What I found hard? Changing my original idea only slightly but in a fundamental way that changed everything about my composition, keeping under the word limit for the Reflection Statement. And what Jinglebell says about editing? Well, I did a poem, and while it wasn't difficult to figure out what I needed to cut out, it was occasionally hard to get rid of phrases I particularly liked... or having to rework them.

It all depends on you really. :D

Saul

*ss
HSC
(its realli not that hard. i did about 5000 words of my story in a single week bout 2 months before it was due, and spent the rest of my time polishing. people who are doing more technical pieces, ie analytical and film and shit have a much harder time than if you're doing poetry or stories)

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
yeah i didn't think it was hard at all (though it's a nice thing to play up :p), i didn't do any research or put any real effort in...but it gets stressful if you leave it all to the last few weeks and have to force your creativity.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by OzE Hindu
Why do people feel that ext2 is sposed to be hard? So far, I've felt that it's actually fairly easy. But that might be because I already have a good idea as to what my topic will be and how I will actually approach creating the major work. From what I've seen, the teachers say that timing is one of the big problems. I think doing a major work over a period of 1 year is actually really easy. anywayz, i think im forgetting something important and that its going to screw me over while doing ext2. so pls tell what u find/found easy/difficult in the course.
Extension 2 English is so much easier than Extension 2 maths (though I cannot prejudge what I'll get). People tend to think extension subjects are a really big thing! That's why they think it's hard.

I agree with you totally. Time is such a critical factor. If you plan yourself well across the year, you won't find Ext 2 English particularly difficult. However, I guess almost everyone has a stress out moment days before the project is due.

Out of all my subjects, I actually found Extension 2 English the most enjoyable to do. I guess that depends on the medium as well. I made a video. Although I did have lots of stressful moments, I survived! Thank God for that :)

Having said that, As to what I'll get: no comments ;)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by OzE Hindu
talk to us when youre struggling to finish everything off in the final hours to submission

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
yeah i also forgot to mention---- CONCEPT is kind of difficult, if you're looking for something somewhat unique and sophisticated; and then wrapping all your writing (if creative) around your concept. my teacher used to rave on about how mine was too 'intellectual' but in comparison to some of the showcase ones it was like... a spec of dust. undeveloped dust, at that.

Saul

*ss
HSC
Re: Re: Why's Ext.2 difficult?

Originally posted by sugaryblue
Extension 2 English is so much easier than Extension 2 maths (though I cannot prejudge what I'll get). People tend to think extension subjects are a really big thing! That's why they think it's hard.
extension 2 math wasn't that hard, you could get through without doing homework, ever.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
It isn't hard. It's just a bitch.

Finding time to do it, and getting the shits with your ideas.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Why's Ext.2 difficult?

Originally posted by Saul
extension 2 math wasn't that hard, you could get through without doing homework, ever.
LOL I got through without doing any hwk. I guess that's why it's more difficult ;)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I'm just starting 4 unit as well, but the impression I have is the standard we have to reach towards in completing our major work. It's like what that idiot says on Australian Idol about "raising the bar". We're competing with the 'creme de la creme'. Regardless of whether it is or isn't 'hard' or whether it is time consuming or not, we have to produce works that will blow the markers' minds away.

At least that's what I think. :D

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
I've been told that humour always works.

I hope that's right and I hope the examiners like my humour.

but I don't think I am very funny :(

phillipo

HSC
you'll be laughing at your own question at the beginning of term 2. Not only because you are looking straight into the barrel of the deadline gun but because all your other subjects all of a sudden decide to dig you a hole.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
sugaryblue did the HSC this year, so she knows all that already...
yup yup!! all those pains and tears!

If anyone's considering doing a subject but feel doubtful about it, my advice is: CHOOSE IT! you can always drop later :rolleyes:

narrator

HSC
N/A
for some i'm sure it would be really easy - the first idea they have they write and submit that, but then they really wouldn't be doing the course properly.

it's difficult not because actually composing a work is that hard, but because composing a work of high substance and standard is, especially when it's compared to other students of the same level as you.

plus that damn journal

Procras_witfood

The best tip for the '04 Extension 2 people would be to read the Writer's Showcases of the previous years.

From there you can gauge on how good you have to be. Also go through the Standards Packages. For me, there's no point in doing this subject unless you honestly feel that you can equal or beat those that have gone before you.

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
well im doing video...my ext.2 teacher showed us a previous student that got 45/50 for her video, and shown us a couple of other examples. There are four of us doing video..we all go to a P.A school and have been producing videos for quite some time...so we know we have the potential to at least get above that 45!!!

but yeah, how hard it is depends on how good you wanna make it. the goals i have set for myself are hard, hence, it will be hard!
:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)