Why Medicine? (1 Viewer)

Will05

HSC
Interviews at Monash/Adelaide

Hi everyone,
I'm from Victoria and I just jumped on this forum to find others who have an interview for medical school coming up shortly (2006 undergrad entry.) I'd love to hear from other people who are feeling nervous about it (surely not just me???) I'll be at Adelaide in a week's time and Monash after that; I have a pretty ok idea of what they'll ask me but should I prepare extensively for it or just let the 'natural' responses appear?
Thanks all

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
A bit of both. Don't rote-learn answers to questions otherwise you'll just ignore what you're asked and answer the question you want to be asked. On the other hand, don't go in totally unprepared - think about potential questions and how you could answer them well. You're not looking to make up lies, just to more deeply understand personal truths.

Think of this preparation as a journey of personal contemplation. :)

batigol

Giant
HSC
Lexicographer said:
A bit of both. Don't rote-learn answers to questions otherwise you'll just ignore what you're asked and answer the question you want to be asked. On the other hand, don't go in totally unprepared - think about potential questions and how you could answer them well. You're not looking to make up lies, just to more deeply understand personal truths.

Think of this preparation as a journey of personal contemplation. :)

Agree nod nod :)
I dont do medicine but sure this applies to other interviews as well.

anarchron

HSC
adrenaline88 said:
Hey lukebennett,
Are you going to try for undergrad med next year?
The specialties I'm interested in are:
* cardiothoracic surgery
* neurosurgery
* emergency medicine
* cardiology
* paediatrics (sub-specialties above)

Others I have a mild interest in are:
* OB&GYN
* plastics
* neurology
* orthopaedics

I'm leaning towards cardiothoracics/emergency medicine. I guess I'm just a sucker for pain :D
Are you serious about cardiothorasic surgery!?

Cardiothorasic surgery is THE HARDEST speciality to get in. You meet all sorts of nasty ultracompetitive people in that field. Also, a lot of backstabbing occurs. Furthermore, you have to consider the prospects of cardiothorasic surgery in the future. The reason why there are so limited training positions available is due to low demand. Seriously, more is being done on the preventive side of the issue by the Cardiologists than it is on the fixing part of the surgeon. Thus, leaving it a dead-end.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well aiming for the 'impossible' is alright.. at least you'll never get bored in your pursuit for success
reach for the stars and you'll land on the moon. Or something corny like that

In other words, don't give people shit on their ambitions. No one likes to get shat on by birds flying overhead.

Cardio is there to be taken by the winners. Everyone is a winner if they stick to their goals and paths. Only losers turn back.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah I agree. What kind of lamer goes "nur I'm going for this specialty because the one I really want is too hard".

anarchron

HSC
If that's the case, then I bid you good luck and hope that you don't mind spending the major part of your life as a Registrar.

I know this because my brother is in the Cardiothorasic training scheme.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i really dun see the problem with that? registrars still get paid :)

CT Surgery and a Cardiology are funky specialties especially with all the developments in the last 50 yrs :) of course its goin to be competitive but thats the fun part!

i personally think that mediocrity shouldnt be a goal in medicine .. but hey ive just started :)

no im not interested in cardio.. altho i hear both the physician and surgical fellows are hard stuff

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i remember reading a pdf on incomes
registrars earn up to 90k a year i think, starting from like 52 it goes up like 10k every year (plz confirm)
so it's not too bad.
no point settling for 2nd best if it's not going to make you happy/satisfied

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)