Why IS Yeats' poetry worthy of critical study?... WHY! (1 Viewer)

Soiboi

HSC
hey guys i'm just really really bad at lying here...i dnt see how yeats' ramblings about unrequited love and his age is so worthy of critical study... that question came from a past paper i've come across and i'm dtermined to find a way to convince myself he is...please help! anything will be appreciated ><

thanks in advance from Soiboi.

HSC
Hi I studied Yeats this year and I found it fascinating how the themes like the one's you mentioned ie: love, aging etc can be applied across a broad range of social contexts and can be read using many different frameworks eg:Romaniticism.
I think the key point to understanding why his poems are worthy of critical study is recognising how universal his themes are. ie: they relate to all of mankind. read through his poems and think about this. Eg: we all age and we all experience love. Thus his poems are relevant to all social contexts. Also try to mention how his 'themes' can be intepreted in different/ contrasting ways eg: a modernist reading may intepret the line "a terrible beauty is born" (Eatser, 1916) as a breakdown in society whilst a nationalist reading may interpret it as a promotion of te beauty and unity attained through national unity and independence.

I hope this has helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)