• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is UAi getting lower each year? (1 Viewer)

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
when I placed some marks in same to view the UAI prediction I found that each year the UAI gets lower....if this trend continues will we expect a UAi lower than those equivalent to last years?....if so... CRAP!

2003 UAI: 98.95
2002 UAI: 99.00
2001 UAI: 99.65

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
UAI doesnt get lower. basically to dtermine ur UAI they do all their scaling shit then add up the marks to form an aggregate out of 500 (10 units, each unit is out of 50) and so once they have this aggregate they rank u from 1st to last, (1st has close to 500, last has close to 0) and then they giv out the UAIs from 100 to 0 based on this order.

the UAI doesnt get lower each year its just it becomes harder each year to get the same UAI cos u need a higher aggregate each year.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
uai is a rank.

theoretically, you'll get the same rank no matter what year you do your hsc in. you wont get the same uai for same marks in your subjects though.

a mark of 90 in phyics is 2004 maybe be equivalednt to a scaled mark of 88 in 04, but only mean something like 85 in 2003, hence different uai.

santaslayer

HSC
Yeah...UAI is only a rank so if people are getting smarter, then theoritcally, your UAI get's lower, but of course, it dosen't.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
There are considerably less people applying for uni this year apparently. At the moment anyway.

So looks like the decreasing UAI trend MIGHT not happen as much this year.....

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
There are considerably less people applying for uni this year apparently. At the moment anyway.

So looks like the decreasing UAI trend MIGHT not happen as much this year.....
No the UAI would still decrease, unless they decide to stop studying.

The cutoffs would just decrease further.

superbird

HSC
isnt the uai for courses going to be higher this year due to the reduction of HECS courses

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
There isnt really a reduction in HECS courses, but more a trade between fee paying places and HECS places but this is only at some unis. I would think this would be offset by the increase in HECS at some unis making others seem more desireable.

fush

HSC
because of the increases in HECS fees, wouldnt this mean the uai cut-offs will lower next year?

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Maybe. Statistics show that much less people have decided to apply for uni this year, and probably next year too.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i think it is mostly to do with the fact that since the new course was introduced in 2001 the standard of responses has improved somewhat. more people ar recieving band 6 results in some subjects and the scaling of subjects by the UAC seems to go down because more people are getting above certain marks. This means that one year an average of 95 for all subjects would get 100 uai but now you need about 97 average to get 100. i think it is just a bit more competitive

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Argonaut said:
I think it has something to do with the demand for a course. For example, Town Planning used to require a UAI somewhere in the neighbourhood of 85.00, but that's dropped down eleven points to 74.00 because no-one takes it (which is stupid, because there's always a demand for them and it's a really high-paying job if you're good).

No, the UAI is a rank and has nothing to do with how many people apply for Uni.

The UAI cutoff is what you're talking about, and yes that is affected by the demand for a course

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
lukebennett said:
i think it is mostly to do with the fact that since the new course was introduced in 2001 the standard of responses has improved somewhat. more people ar recieving band 6 results in some subjects and the scaling of subjects by the UAC seems to go down because more people are getting above certain marks. This means that one year an average of 95 for all subjects would get 100 uai but now you need about 97 average to get 100. i think it is just a bit more competitive

Again, the UAI is a rank and if the people are generally doing better in the HSC, the UAIs should remain the same. Maybe if the people in the top ranges were doing better and everyone else doing the same or worse, then your statement would be true.

The number of people getting a Band 5 or 6 is also unrelated to UAC's scaling. Your exam mark are aligned into the Bands, but aligned marks are not taken into consideration by UAC.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Dont forget that if you do 4unit maths, your UAI is extremely high in 2001. There was something wrong with its scaling I think. So looking at 02 and 03 UAIs, I'd say its been pretty stable.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Cactus said:
lukebennet said:
Again, the UAI is a rank and if the people are generally doing better in the HSC, the UAIs should remain the same. Maybe if the people in the top ranges were doing better and everyone else doing the same or worse, then your statement would be true.
Mr Bennet is, more or less, correct.

Whilst the scaling for most courses really hasn't changed (which was the part where he went wrong), it does seem that these days students need to achieve higher HSC marks in order to score the same UAI as a student from a previous year.

But this is to be expected if more students are scoring higher marks - or if, as lukebennet said, the standard of responses is improving.

If in one year (for some hypothetical courses) the average HSC mark is 65, and you score all 65s, you'll get an average UAI. If the next year the average mark is 75, and you score all 65s, you're clearly ranked below average, and so you should receive a below average UAI.

If the whole HSC cohort continues to gain higher and higher aligned marks from one year to the next, individual students are also going to have to keep attaining higher and higher aligned marks in order to achieve the same ranking within the whole group.

UAIs aren't getting lower - students' marks are getting higher. Increased competition.

I remember reading an articulate that postulated that the Board might consider introducing a 'Band 7' if student performance indicates that the standards should be raised. It'll be interesting to see whether this eventuates over the coming years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)