Why is the university of sydney scholarships page so bad? (1 Viewer)

carrotsss

HSC
I just want money, why do they have to make it so painful 😭
  • Most of them have opening/closing dates from like 2021
  • Literally none of them are open despite having 2022 opening dates which would indicate they should be open
  • Tons of them reference/require E12, which doesn't even exist anymore
  • In each section, they have useful tabs for what a scholarship for (e.g. rural). What isn't useful is that its just a fat block of links, even though there is a far superior table format with all the details below for the full list. Why!
  • A bunch of scholarships require me to apply for sydney scholars, which is supposed to open in April. It's not open.
  • Unlike other unis, there is no way to sort out aboriginal/socioeconomic disadvantage scholarships, so I have to sort through hundreds of scholarships just to find one that isn't
  • There's no search function.
  • There are many different sections for faculty/equity/general scholarships, each with a stupid amount of overlap
  • Every random person's scholarship has to have its own separate application and page unlike chad unsw which clumps a lot of them together
  • They give you a quick pdf guide which is literally just links to the website with extremely helpful boxes to show that no, you can't apply for international scholarships as a domestic student. thanks
  • am
1683706250469.png
1683706264177.png

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I just want money, why do they have to make it so painful 😭
  • Most of them have opening/closing dates from like 2021
  • Literally none of them are open despite having 2022 opening dates which would indicate they should be open
  • Tons of them reference/require E12, which doesn't even exist anymore
  • In each section, they have useful tabs for what a scholarship for (e.g. rural). What isn't useful is that its just a fat block of links, even though there is a far superior table format with all the details below for the full list. Why!
  • A bunch of scholarships require me to apply for sydney scholars, which is supposed to open in April. It's not open.
  • Unlike other unis, there is no way to sort out aboriginal/socioeconomic disadvantage scholarships, so I have to sort through hundreds of scholarships just to find one that isn't
  • There's no search function.
  • There are many different sections for faculty/equity/general scholarships, each with a stupid amount of overlap
  • Every random person's scholarship has to have its own separate application and page unlike chad unsw which clumps a lot of them together
  • They give you a quick pdf guide which is literally just links to the website with extremely helpful boxes to show that no, you can't apply for international scholarships as a domestic student. thanks
  • am
View attachment 38387
View attachment 38388
bruh idk im not the ceo of usyd

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
USyd is a large university. This is of course a fact that the average person would know. However, knowing that it is large is one thing, and actually realising how large it is is another. The university has approximately 75000 students, which is an aspect that surprised me (in the sense that I was not expecting it), especially on the first day of the semester, which was the first time I ever went to USyd. The Abercrombie building was quite lively, thanks to the large number of students that were there which some may consider daunting on their first day. This is despite the fact that, when compared, the Abercrombie building is smaller than WSU's Parramatta City campus, although perhaps the fact that USyd law students also have classes in the Abercrombie building (as opposed to their WSU counterparts, who do not have their classes in the Parramatta City campus), could also be a reason for my observation on the first day.

While a large number of students is not a sufficient excuse to justify the state that this section of the USyd website is in, it could potentially be a reason for perceived delays in updates and other communication. This also happens to be something that I and some other students in my Honours cohort experienced towards the start of the semester, where the university took an unreasonable amount of time to fix an issue with our timetables, forcing lecturers to maintain contact with us for support and class accommodations accordingly. Because of this, it would be a good idea to contact USyd directly regarding scholarships and regularly monitoring its website for any updates to relevant scholarship information.

I hope this helps! :D

Anaya R

HSC
Yeah. It's also graduation season and gearing toward end of semester, so it does somewhat explain the page.
I think it'd be good to check semi regularly (like once every 2-3 weeks) and perhaps when term 3 (aka recruiting season) begins it'll be easier to navigate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)