Why Is The Great Gatsby Widely Considered to be the Greatest American Novel (1 Viewer)

Is The Great Gatsby The Greatest American Novel?

• Yes!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bozo275

HSC
I love the book, and It is at the top of my list of all time favourite books.

Just wondering what about it strikes a chord in the heart of people around the world?

"If it wasn't for the mist we could see your home across the bay....You always have a green light that burns all night at the end of your dock"

super-shinobi

HSC
I'm honestly appalled that The Great Gatsby would be considered America's greatest novel... That book couldn't command my attention for 5 seconds but I forced myself to read it for the HSC. It was so painful...

sk-rulz

HSC
lol. i have not even read it! and my HSC is this year. I got to page 11 and gave up, so dull and boring. The only reason as to why it might be the "greatest" american novel is because its about the "Great American Dream" or some thing like that.

Klutsov

HSC
It satirises the american dream and their way of life. It also predicted the demise of wall street in the 1930's. The ideas are still relevant today aswell.

It probably isn't the GREATEST american novel, but it does make a good point about the USA

boganxcore

HSC
i liked it but definitely not the greatest american novel

and by liked i dont mean liked, i just mean it was an alright read

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I honestly don't see the big deal about it.

It was readable but it didn't strike me as particularly brilliant.

Also: Link

Barney Rodgers

HSC
N/A
Well, there are various reasons why 'The Great Gatsby' is considered to be the greatest American novel. First of all, it gives us a slice of the life of the elite in an era long gone. On the one side, we have the lavish, luxurious parties that Jay Gatsby throws and on the other hand, there is the world of the less privileged depicted by Nick. Fitzgerald tears down the façade of the rise of Jay Gatsby from a man of humble beginnings to a man of wealth and status. The book is also a comment on the shallow materialism that permeates throughout the society. Did you know that `F.Scott.’ in `F.Scott Fitzgerald’ stands for `Francis Scott’ of Francis Scott Key, the man who wrote the words to `The Star-Spangled Banner’? I found this interesting fact while browsing through Shmoop. Interesting, huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)