Why is the computer better ... but not performing?? (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I have two computers:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
- Service Pack 2
- 1.74 GHz
- 256MB RAM
- Graphics: Readon 9000 Series (latest drives)

- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
- Service Pack 2
- 2.00 GHz
- 256MB RAM
- Graphics: Readon 9200SE Series (latest drives)

From the above you would think that computer 2 takes the day, but this is NOT THE CASE. Whenever I install a game on comp 2 it runs slow, ie. Hitman 2 or Championship Manager 03/04 .. they freeze and go, freeze and go.

What the hell is going on here?!?!?!

Ac

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
you need more ram!!
also could be your harddrive
really need more information

could be anything
same specs doesn't mean same performance

i have a 750mhz machine and one of my friend who has a heaps faster computer came over and used that computer, he was saying it's so much faster loading programs (not playing games cause i don't have any)....the reason is that i don't have much on that computer and it isn't clogged up with crap

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Better RAM in one than the other, lower latency perhaps.
Isn't the SE a very reduced version card bus and RAM speed wise and hence slower than a 9000?
Faster hard drive in one than the other.
Go get some benchmarking software like Sisoft Sandra or 3dMark and see how they compare.

helloyo

the reason why they're not performing is because of windows! that POS clogs up so insanely fast. you put on a couple programs and its stuffed. with linux on the other hand you have hundreds installed, and no slow down because of it whatsoever.

sunny

meh.
HSC
helloyo said:
with linux on the other hand you have hundreds installed, and no slow down because of it whatsoever.
Good on you. But that does not help with his problem whatsoever.

I would imagine you do not have the same motherboard on both machines? Chipset? There is a major bottleneck issue there. As redslert already said, those few numbers can't be used to compare two machines.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
What numbers do you need? (and where do i find such numbers?)

Thanks,

Ac

equiski

HSC
helloyo said:
the reason why they're not performing is because of windows! that POS clogs up so insanely fast. you put on a couple programs and its stuffed. with linux on the other hand you have hundreds installed, and no slow down because of it whatsoever.
Didn't you read that he wanted to play games?

Helloyo, do you look after your 2nd computer by regularly scanning for spyware/adware and checking for viruses? How about prgrams that start up with the computer? I have found that my computer runs reasonably faster and crashes less now that i have replaces Norton Antivirus with AntiVir.

Meanwhile, it may have something to do with your hardware. Maybe if you post your motherboard models and ram speeds we can gather more to the reasons of the speed difference. There is a possibility that the second mobo can only support lower AGP speeds or your ram is slower.

Also the Radeon 9000 is a better card than the 9200SE. This is because the SE only uses a 64-bit memory interface while the 9000 has a 128-memory interface. The -SE suffix is just a facy way of saying that the card is highly crippled XP. If you swap the cards in your computers, you would probably see a difference.

superbird

HSC
or if you're really desperate you can format the harddrive then reinstall windows.
otherwise, simple things such as defragmenting the harddrive every now and then should increase performance ;)

Jeo

I don't think you've done anything wrong. 2100+ is an absolute monster. It performed better than many of my other computers.

neuro_logik

HSC
helloyo said:
With Linux you can select which, specific daemons you want to run :p, and besides you notice a lot of slowdown when you are doing compiles :p (Self written code and other software) or running a distro compiled for i386 on a newer machine (ie. Fedora/Red Hat).

Now to answer the thread question. You need more RAM, I think the bare minimum today is 512 if you are playing games and stuff, but for just looking at webpages and doing work 256 is just fine. Like other people said, there might be spyware on your machine so use SpyBot in collaboration with Adaware, that should boost performance and as another person said, do a defrag once in a while.

URL: www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
URL: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ok... this was a suggestion i had its not very practical but it works
u partition or buy 2 extra HDD (one for each comp)
install the bare minimum

run dual boot setup on each comp lolz
should be a tank

Stan..

HSC
If you have the new catalyst intall DX9; hitman 2 is DX8.1 that is the reason why the computer is stuffing up.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
equiski said:
Didn't you read that he wanted to play games?

Helloyo, do you look after your 2nd computer by regularly scanning for spyware/adware and checking for viruses? How about prgrams that start up with the computer? I have found that my computer runs reasonably faster and crashes less now that i have replaces Norton Antivirus with AntiVir.

Meanwhile, it may have something to do with your hardware. Maybe if you post your motherboard models and ram speeds we can gather more to the reasons of the speed difference. There is a possibility that the second mobo can only support lower AGP speeds or your ram is slower.

Also the Radeon 9000 is a better card than the 9200SE. This is because the SE only uses a 64-bit memory interface while the 9000 has a 128-memory interface. The -SE suffix is just a facy way of saying that the card is highly crippled XP. If you swap the cards in your computers, you would probably see a difference.
like my 9600SE :D

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Direct X is up to date on both of them... i take care of both of them equally well and try to have the same crap on both of them. When i bought comp2 i asked the dude to make it as similar to comp 1 as possible to avoid this!!

Furthermore, Comp1 has was more programs installed on it - the other one has around 10gigs of fricken "The Sims" games though .... (my dum sister).

Comp2 has TWO hard disks .... one i put all the games on (which is now at capacity ~ 20gigs) and the other is pretty free (40gigs). Comp1 has one hard disk or 80gigs and is around 67% full.

I realize RAM is better, but they both hvae the sam amount, so i am trying to find out why they arent running equally well.

Ive recently formatted Comp1 but through msconfig both computers have little crap going on in the background.

Norton 2003 on Comp2 and only 2002 on comp1.

I ran Sisoft Sandra and hopefully there are attachments to this post ... im not sure what the results really mean ... ?

When i updated the drivers they were for 9000, 9200, 9400 etc .... i used the same program on both (ignoring the SE) .... am i correct in assuming i have installed the wrong driver update on Comp2??

Thanks,

Ac

equiski

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
like my 9600SE :D
Hehe, that beats my $50 FX5200. :p

Edit: Norton 2003 genrally hogs more resources than 2002.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Download and run a full specs program then you can check everything:
IDE speed other bottlenecks etc

Off the top of my head though - check that the graphics card is running at AGP8X not 4X.
Defrag hard drive(s).
Run adaware, spybot S&D and if you can get a hold of a copy norton utilities.
Tweak system slightly with tweak manager (http://www.winguides.com/tweak/)
Go to start/run/ type msconfig disable non-essential services and startup programs.
Adjust game settings eg turn shadows off etc.

r0wlzii

Lord Ac said:
I have two computers:

- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
- Service Pack 2
- 1.74 GHz
- 256MB RAM
- Graphics: Readon 9000 Series (latest drives)

- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
- Service Pack 2
- 2.00 GHz
- 256MB RAM
- Graphics: Readon 9200SE Series (latest drives)

From the above you would think that computer 2 takes the day, but this is NOT THE CASE. Whenever I install a game on comp 2 it runs slow, ie. Hitman 2 or Championship Manager 03/04 .. they freeze and go, freeze and go.

What the hell is going on here?!?!?!

Ac
The computers are a lot difference. The graphics cards Im sorry to say are equivilant to most that come in Laptops nowadays. 256MB RAM Sticks wont even be sold by the end of this year my bet is. The Processors are good. I'd say your graphics card cannot handle the games OR you dont have the most current drivers (http://www.ati.com)

w00t w00t

Ac

mercho

B. Of Leisure & Pleasure
HSC
I used to have the same problem. I was running a 1.7Ghz P4 with 256mb Ram and a geforce4 64mb. I added another 256mb of RAM and bout a 256mb 9600 Card and the computer is running like a dream.
Something like this will only set you back about $200

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)